A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PANDA costume help.  (Read 936 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shallowfashionista
« on: October 23, 2007 03:25:24 PM »

I'm trying to make a costume out of black/white fur fabric.
Number one : That stuff is so irritating to work with.
Number two : It's not ending up how I want it to...

I wanted something SEMI cute, not FULL on panda. I live in FL. C'mon now. It's still hot here.

I have it so it's like a mini dress, but it just doesn't look right, any pointers? I am making arms with paws and a tail and ears and such, but I'm just considering bailing on the idea to go as a witch and I just won't feel very creative then. PS. Whoever made the polar beach costume is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezzyloo
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007 09:58:43 PM »

I was a panda last year, and I found the perfect hoodie, but I don't think it would be too hard to recreate the same effect. It was white with black sleeves, and I added ears to the top and wore black pants and tights.
Here's how mine came out: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=29880129&postID=115801487944714963

P.S. Pandas are awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007 08:07:10 AM »

OMG that panda hoodie is adorable! That totally rocks if it is not to warm for you to wear a hoodie!

OK, so it's not a panda, but my costume this year is also fun fur, and also a cutesy version of an animal (pony)... so...

The first thing is that cutting fur with scissors makes a huge mess and makes your seams show more. Using an xacto knife on the wrong side seems to be the best way to cut it. It reduces all the random fur everywhere that maybe is part of why it is irritating to work with?

This is my costume so far: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=203322.0

Do you have a picture of the mini dress? I did mine as a separate top and skirt just cuz it was easier. Maybe you could have bare arms and then just wear fuzzy gloves for paws?

And maybe if it feels too warm like too much fur, you could use a cotton (or something) accent fabric? It might be easier to work with if you want to put elastic or zippers anywhere, just easier to sew if you can figure out a way to work  it. I think it would be really cute if you could find a bamboo print or cartoon pandas or something to use!

This is the picture I found of a costume available to buy that I had in mind when I started making mine. The cute, in a dress, not full-on animal (it's a lion, but I just like the style): http://www.3wishes.com/images/cuddlylion.jpg

Anyway, just some random ideas,hope it helps a little...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
jezzyloo
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007 02:06:27 PM »

The hoodie was amazingly not warm enough. We had bad rain last year, and I nearly froze.

Maybe if you used a lightweight long-sleeved tee?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shallowfashionista
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007 03:00:54 PM »

Once I get it done, I will take pictures. I've been too lazy lately. I will finish it this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elizzlebizzle
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007 07:19:43 PM »

I'm going to be a Panda this year too!  I'm going to be in North Carolina, where a cold front will hopefully have engulfed everything next week.

I'm making mine around a black body suit I found at a thrift store this summer.  It has all black arms and legs, turtleneck, everything.  I figure I'll just make some kind of white middle part out of a t-shirt and a pillow- the head I'm making out of a giant stuffed animal I found at Goodwill.  The stuffed animal's head is white so I'm just going to cut the head off (un-stuff it) and give it some black ears- instant mask/head.

I am plegued with making the costume cute as well.  It's hard to make fo-fur nice looking, that I do know.  Maybe make the dress out of something lighter like the person above said and using the fur for your head and one color (black or white)-  and your paws?

Do you know what you're doing for your makeup / face yet?  I don't know if I should try to make a fake nose thing or just paint my face. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What are you going to do when you get out of jail?
I'm going to have some fun.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gooseberry and Elderflower Curd Recipe
How to Make Strawberry Mousse in a Jar
How to Make Your Own Lemon Sorbet
Glazed Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
How to Use Freeze-Dried Fruit for Perfect Fruit Icing
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...