A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand Embroidered Patch Swap [CLOSED Final Send-outs November 27]  (Read 10270 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rectangel
a right angle gone wrong

'once a square always a square'

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2007 08:23:47 AM »

easiest to find is silver dressmakers pencil (with reasonable staying power)... then there are chalk type things but these types of things will only work for fabric that isn't stretchy and is abrasion resistant because you have to push on them to draw

the best method in my opinion is to iron on some dissolvable or tear away stablizer to the back and put your transfer on the stablizer...if you have carbon paper you can put the design on ahead of time too...positioning is tricky but this is the best way to get all the details...

finally for small things (writing and filling in missing spots) we come to the white pen ... the one I have works well and stays on better than white carbon paper (which is a lot like chalk that looks great to start with and them brushes away) BUT it is invisible when it first goes on and you have to wait for it to dry to show up I sometimes use it with my silver pencil and together I get a not bad outcome but it takes a lot of patience...there are different white pens I got mine at Michaels...some are goopy some don't easily wash away.  Pens are better on stretchy stuff because they "paint" the ink on versus rub like a pencil...I don't recommend using the pen and the white carbon paper together as the white carbon gets into the pen. 

Felt is evil as it soaks up every thing and is not a solid surface (writing on dust bunnies) but I'm sure there are some experts out there who have a surefire method Wink

I forgot to mention that you can usually get all kinds of stablizer at quilt stores (machine embroidery) and of course sublime carries the carbon paper and the stablizer too.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007 08:29:32 AM by rectangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Going to Viva this year April 1-4!
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2007 08:30:38 AM »

Thank you  Smiley

ah, progress .... well almost progress  Wink
I've actually made a decision about my first patch, drawn it, cut the fabric ready...I just need to transfer the image now and get stitchin'  Wink
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007 01:52:58 PM by ZaftigMomma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2007 06:46:24 PM »

I'm working on my first patch, but not sure I'm sure interpreting the themes correctly.  I took a wild stab at 70's mod theme for this one... 
I'm going for a swirly smiling sunshine thingie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2007 06:47:37 PM »

Wow!  That's gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
Beetastic
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2007 06:54:09 PM »

That is neat looking.  I can not wait to see it all done and who gets it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftybernie
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2007 07:32:21 PM »

OK, maybe some of you more experienced stitchers can help me with this, what is the best way to get a pattern onto black or dark fabric?

Not sure how much help this will be but in the UK you can purchase 'dressmakers carbon paper' in different colours - white or yellow carbon paper for dark fabrics.

DMC do a pack of four transfer sheets - two yellow, two blue.  I found them on  Nordicneedle.com so it might be worth a look. 

You can also purchase Hot Iron Transfer Pencils - you draw the design onto paper and then iron the design onto your fabric.  The NordicNeedle company (as above) have a Yellow Iron on Transfer Pencil for dark fabrics.  The excess is then washed out when finished but not all work like this. Be careful with some of these transfer pencils as some are heat set when ironed, so double check before you use.

Hope this helps.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2007 08:17:02 PM »

Wow Trifarina, way to set the bar really high!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2007 08:23:34 PM »

I may have set the bar too high...  I'm worried I won't be able to finish 4!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GatsbyGirl
Not a Knitter

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off."

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2007 08:29:17 PM »

Hey '60s/'70s Mod was in my likes list. Is that for me per chance? If so, you're going to laugh when you see yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Twitter | Facebook | Wists
craftybernie
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2007 08:51:19 PM »

Ok - I've got a question about the grain of fabric.  This is easy enough to find when working with a big piece of fabric but how do you find the grain on small pieces of fabric or off-cuts.  Is it the warp or the weft threads? And which is which?  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/6
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 9/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 4/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 6/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 3/29
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...