A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Acrylic paint on skin?  (Read 1794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nicegirl512
« on: October 23, 2007 01:39:11 PM »

I am going as Louise Brooks (a silent film star), and my gimmick will be painting myself grey so that I'm entirely black and white.  I got various types of makeup but they don't have great coverage and they wipe off.  It's too late to order something fancypants like latex body paint online.  I have heard of people painting skin with regular acrylic paints.  Anyone done this?  Tips?  How do you get it off?  I probably don't want to do acrylic paint on my face but if I could take care of my chest with it I think i can (1) keep my hands away from my face (mostly), and (2) touch up face as needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007 01:54:33 PM »

I think acrylic paint has a tendency to crack, that might be an issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
smashingsadie
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007 05:12:19 PM »

Nooooo! Don't dooo iiiiiiiitttt *jumps in front of you bodyguard style*

Its so bad for your skin - stops the pores breathing properly etc etc etc and raises your body temperature.

You can get some really good stage makeup that will do the job no problem. I love Ben Nye stuff when I'm doing mad makeups for photoshoots. You can get pallettes and stuff, so maybe see if they do a greyscale one.

Ben Nye's Website

Yay for black and white movie starlet idea - thats so awesome! I wish I'd have thought of it!!!

xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007 05:21:52 PM »

Its so bad for your skin - stops the pores breathing properly etc etc etc and raises your body temperature.

Skin doesn't breathe...though covering yourself entirely in paint will keep you from perspiring, which will raise your body temperature and lead to overheating.  As long as the paint is non-toxic and you're only covering a small amount of your skin, you should be fine...I paint on myself all the time.  Acrylic will stretch and crack though (it actually comes off pretty easily with a bit of water), so it could end up being kinda high-maintenance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nika74
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007 05:50:51 PM »

ive painted my arms and legs before and as long as your pretty much painting yur chest there shouldnt be a problem it comes off with soap and water
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicegirl512
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007 07:10:10 AM »

SmashingSadie, I totally agree that Ben Nye would be better, but it's too late to order something online for Saturday's festivities alas.

I will probably stick with cheap costume cream makeup because the acrylic does make me a little wary.  Hopefully the overall costume will be good enough that people will overlook a little unevenness in the makeup!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoredYetCynical
durka durka

Hey, Hey, I wanna be a rock star.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007 04:16:32 PM »

I went to an ICP concert about three years ago and used acrylic paints (like apple barrel) to paint my, my then fiance' and our friends faces for the concert and it worked. It cracked a little, but didn't start coming off until the faygo showers happened, lol.

And last year I once again used acrylic paint to paint shaggy 2 dopes (ICP again) face paint on my now boyfriend and his nephew's faces. It came out really well. I wish I had pics of my BF and nephew.

Here's a pic of before heading to the concert.

I'm the one in the middle, my then fiance' is the one with the red hair and goatee. Our friends face paint looks kinda crappy because he's a chronic sweater, so the paint got runny before it dried.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This is way beyond my remote concern of being condescending"

Baby Sean Born on Nov. 11th 2007
GrandTheftUno
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007 07:02:49 AM »

use gouache!

Its basically a highly concentrated watercolour that can be opaque or sheer. A large tube of student quality gouache shouldnt run too expensive (mine were 12$ each for 220 ml, which stretches a looooong way)

i just covered my whole arm in a slightly diluted grey gouache to test it, and it feels a lot more breathable than acrylic or latex. It has a nice matte finish to it, which is very similar to a black and white movie.

I applied it with a wide paintbrush and dabbed it in with a  makeup sponge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicegirl512
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007 08:02:48 AM »

use gouache!

Its basically a highly concentrated watercolour that can be opaque or sheer. A large tube of student quality gouache shouldnt run too expensive (mine were 12$ each for 220 ml, which stretches a looooong way)

i just covered my whole arm in a slightly diluted grey gouache to test it, and it feels a lot more breathable than acrylic or latex. It has a nice matte finish to it, which is very similar to a black and white movie.

I applied it with a wide paintbrush and dabbed it in with a  makeup sponge.

You are so awesome doing a test run for me!  Thank you!  I will see if I can get to an art supply store today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrandTheftUno
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007 08:16:52 AM »

no promblem! I think I am actually going to use a similar idea for myself. I am going to get "pleasantvilled"

I am definitely going to get some stockings to avoid painting my legs though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 2/9
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/4
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 7/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 5/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 3/9
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...