A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand made Coffee Cup Cozies?  (Read 916 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craftinator
« on: October 23, 2007 08:23:19 AM »

I don't frequent coffee shops enough to get a handle on this but I do go enough to know that they run out of those cardboard holders too often and I'm stuck with a heckahot cup of coffee to carry!  If I was a more frequent visitor, I might make my own to keep with me.

I have seen some pretty snazzy crocheted holders around here and am thinking of coming up with my own design to sell in the local shops and maybe on etsy - maybe crochet, maybe fleece or felt, not sure.  It seems to me the coffee shops would be interested in selling them because they could make a profit on them rather than springing for the ones they buy and give away.

What do you think?  And what would be a good selling price?

Thanks in advance for your input
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ainadaliel
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007 08:39:05 PM »

I crochet coffee cup cozies...and sell them for 50 Philippine pesos. That's roughly $1.08per cozy. I know that doesn't sound like much...but acrylic yarn is pretty cheap here and people wouldn't buy them for higher than Php50! Sad

I have seen some nice sewn cozies online for $10, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftinator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007 06:48:22 AM »

Thanks for the tip!  I think I'll try out a few designs this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007 07:38:39 AM »

I think you will need to be careful on naming and possibly design - I know of one trademark/ copyright:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6744812

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftinator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007 09:29:14 AM »

thanks for the tip!

Now.....what rhymes with cup.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

margaret4353
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007 04:19:18 PM »

One of my friends makes and sells her own design of these on a craft website. She wanted at first to get coffee shops to sell them, but their paper holders are advertising for them when you think about it---so they wouldn't have interest in selling them at their stores.
Also the profit margin is sorta small, so sharing the profit with the store will cut into what your time is worth to knit them.

But, my friend makes a killing on them selling them on her own, and she doesn't have to split the $$ with anyone, AND she uses scraps leftover from her other projects so it's a great way to make extra cash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftinator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007 04:51:43 AM »

Thanks for that info - it will help alot.  I don't have alot of spare time so knowing my time will probably be better spent selling on a website than going to Brick and Mortars gives me a place to start.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007 04:21:57 AM »

If you try the little independent coffee shops you might have better luck; it might be interesting to try to place them in 1 or 2 of these while selling online. I wouldn't bother with a chain; much as Starbucks likes to attempt to be "green", they're too afraid of lawsuits NOT to provide their little paper collars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xxmetal_mistressxx
+you'll rebel to anything+

I am god or at least I smell like it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007 08:04:30 AM »

I think that would be a great idea. Now would be the time to venture into that, since it is getting cold and it is the Christmas frenzy season. What I might suggest as well maybe to help your items sell, I noticed you sold candles via another post. You may want to put together a few gift baskets with candles and a cozy or two, and some other items to create a comfy Christmas basket. that might get the word out about all your wonderful items as a whole. Also selling cozy's by themselves of course is a market. I wish you luck!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007 08:13:08 AM by xxmetal_mistressxx » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like my coffee black just like my metal.

I make fun plastic jewelry check it out!
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.poisonousporkipine.etsy.com')
Love personal swaps!
The 100 atc challenge 5/100. The happy 100 atc challange 0/100
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 2014 Best New Beauty Products
JD and Rebecca Discuss What You Are Probably Doing Wrong In the Shower
Top 3 Products to Stop Scars or Fade the Ones You Have
Winter Weather Skin Survival Tips
Special Scents for Your Valentine
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...