A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice needed about airplanes + crochet  (Read 1514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 23, 2007 01:38:56 AM »

i am going to buy bamboo hooks, for the plane ride, to avoid ANY possibility they will take my precious project away (i already have a thread cutter pendant i got a long time ago, and the needles are plastic and dull, and i am packing extras in my checked luggage just in case) but i dont want them to take my metal hooks because they *may be dangerous* or whatever, at security.

im concerned that i will have alot of trouble crocheting with them, hearing about how light they are.

i already planned on buying them a few weeks ahead of time, and practicing, but honestly, its starting to feel like maybe i should just read a book Sad

there isnt much i can do on the plane, aside from watch the progress, and my hubby already put a conversation embargo for the flight down (he wants to sleep)....

any thoughts??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
MarineWifeA
Princess Banana Pants

Sweet Home Arizona

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007 11:32:27 AM »

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm
knitting needles yes
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

crochet hooks yes, and they can be metal, i fly with mine all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. ~Albert Einstein
matikin9
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007 11:56:59 AM »

I've never had any sort of trouble bringing my knitting needles or crochet hooks on a plane, even as far back as 3 years ago.  However, if you carry scissors with you, you may want to leave those at home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007 02:14:21 PM »

thank you SO much...my husband told me to just check there, and im lazy...he also told me to ask our neighbor who works for the TSA but he is scary...

that list is VERY helpful! and i will make sure to print it for my checklist...

and now my fears are abated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Dawn76
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007 07:45:13 PM »

i even carried scissors recently, I think they had to be smaller than 3/12 inches.  every airline has info on their websites.  Happy travels!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007 08:05:32 PM »

Scissors are allowed.  The following kinds are premitted in both carryon and checked luggage: 1) plastic or metal with blunt tips, or 2) metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than 4 inches.

As mentioned above, both metal knitting needles and metal crochet hooks are permitted in both carry-on and checked luggage.

Print out a copy of the list and take it with you in case an overzealous TSA agent questions you about your supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007 08:08:41 PM »

If you get a real hard case they will not care about your printed list. Sometimes they will just get a power thing going.  By all means bring the list, but also bring a self addressed stamped (padded) envelope in case you have to surrender them, you can mail them to yourself. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007 08:45:07 PM »

good advice, but i have a thread cutter pendant so i am not even going to risk the scissors thing since i dont need to, i will make sure to keep it in mind though....sometimes people think they can alter rules because they have power, which is lame
THIS ROCKS   Logged

longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007 04:16:54 AM »

It the thread cutter pendant has an embedded blade, you will not be able to take it.  They work under the assumption you could break it, take the razor out, and use it.  Small scissors are actually more likely to get through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007 01:03:51 PM »

ok, im going to suck it up and ask my neighbor (he is a TSA security agent) he is scary, but we are close enough that we all hang out regularly, and they are coming to our family's holiday party

i have the thread cutter pendant because it is SAFE...im not going on a 4 hour flight, that *may* not have the back of chair tv's like last time, and not have anything to do, including talk to my husband
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lavender Sachets
How to Create Potted Plant Centerpieces
How to Make a Veneer Lampshade
Scrapbook Kit and Nightlight Shade For New Moms
How to Sew a Cashmere Hot Water Bottle Cover
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...