A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,079
Currently Running With Scissors:
776 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Small sweater to larger sweater with crochet edging - recon  (Read 2554 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

achevres
« on: December 09, 2009 08:41:44 AM »

Completed recon sweater.

I got this alpaca sweater from my sister.  I loved the color and the pattern, but it was too short on the sleeves, too small across the bust and the collar was small and not flattering.

I got the idea of improving it by adding crochet trim around all the edges, and I made it longer on the sleeves and added needed inches in the front.

First I cut out the zipper.  Then I turned in the corners of the collar and machine-stitched them to end up with a v-neck collar opening.

I used Lion Brand Incredible ribbon yarn. The hardest part was the first row, to single crochet the ribbon into the fine knit, which had to be with a small hook -- size 4.  I hooked into every other knit stitch and did a single crochet. After that, with a size G hook,  I did 3 more rows of single crochet across the bottom hem and at the collar.  At the sleeves I did 5 more rows and at the front edges I added 6 more rows.  Then I finished all the edges with a simple scallop (chain 5 and sc into every stitch).

It looked much better after I steam-blocked the crochet edging.  Here it is before the steaming (but it shows the finished sweater better, I think):

I used an enamel brooch I had (Tarjee') for the closure.  I'm very happy with the end result.  And so is my sister, knowing her sweater has a second (improved) life.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009 04:49:33 PM by achevres - Reason: typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009 08:45:16 AM »

I love this recon combining crochet and sewing!  What a great save--and much improved!  It is nice that you were able to also get it to fit better!

Amazing how you found the perfect yarn to coordinate with the sweater!

Beautifully done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjw3362004
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009 09:31:53 AM »

Thank you so much for posting the detailed instructions. I am rather large in the bust and never seem to fine sweaters that fit me. I am going to give this a try on one I have had forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009 10:59:39 AM »

WOW! The end result is so  beautiful and definitely looks like something you'd find in one of those 'high end' boutiques!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009 11:22:04 AM »

Alpaca III sweaters are very expensive to begin with.  I think adding the handmade trim not only saved the sweater, but gave it a more artsy look--they tend to be pretty conservative, classic sweaters for the most part.

This might be my favorite recon this month!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009 11:23:46 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahpanda
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009 11:49:01 AM »

That looks SO great! Fantastic way to reuse the sweater. It's always tough to make a loved clothing item BIGGER rather than smaller, so it's nice to see a creative new take on how to do that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.c om
gmail chat: sarahpanda
achevres
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009 01:05:59 PM »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.  I was glad to contribute, since I've gotten get great ideas from craftster.org also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artists Easels
Additional Oil Painting Studio Accessories
How to Make Oil Painting Medium
Oil Paints and Pigments
How to Finish Up a Portrait Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...