A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
766 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ribbed hat on circs?  (Read 614 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

femiknit
« on: December 20, 2004 03:00:10 PM »

Hey everyone! 

I've got a question:  Can you make a ribbed hat on circulars?  I hate sewing a seam so I started a ribbed hat on circs (co 56 sts on size 7s using Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk).  I'm doing k4, p4 ribbing but I'm wondering what's going to happen when I start decreasing at the top.  Are the stripes going to get all wonky?  Please say no so that I don't have to knit it straight.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's your life, you can decorate it as you like ~ ben folds five
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004 06:29:54 PM »

you can definitely do a ribbed hat on circs - i made the "hothead" hat from SnB on circs instead of doing it flat. i used the 2 circulars method at the top when i needed to decrease instead of going to DPNs. i don't want to give anything away about a copyrighted pattern, but if you make the decreases so that you a combining knits with knits and purls with purls, i don't think the ribbing will look funny. you'll just change to skinnier rib. and eventually (like when you're down to 1 x 1 ribbing), you can combine knits together with purls and it will just look like the ribs merged. if you have trouble, go check out a copy of SnB. good luck and remember to post pics when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
femiknit
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004 03:46:35 PM »

thanks!  i looked at the hothead pattern to get ideas but i noticed the patern was not knit in the round.  what you said in terms of decreasing makes sense, though.  hopefully, it will turn out okay.  no biggie if it doesn't.  for once, it's a hat i'm making for myself so i'll just frog it if i have to.

i'll definitely post pics when i'm done.  this yarn is, like, the softest yarn i've ever felt. (excuse the "like" but i've been watching "my so-called life" all day today.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chimblysweep
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004 06:48:17 AM »

Decreasing ribs on circ's is no different from flat decreases.  The trick is to keep the K's and P's in their original lineup-- even when the lineup gets smaller.  So, you'll probably go something like this:
K4P4
K4 P2tog, P2tog
K2tog K2tog, P2
K2 P2tog
K2tog P
K P
K2tog

That would be a pretty fast decrease, though-- you'd probably want to throw some extra rows in there for shaping's sake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

femiknit
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005 07:20:07 AM »

so, i've had to frog this three times because i cast on way too little.  i guess i thought i had a shrunken head or something.  i started out with 56 and now i've got 88.  i'm almost to my desired length so i will start decreasing soon. 

thanks for the info, chimblysweep.  i can use what you suggested and kind of melt it into what i was thinking and come up with the perfect decrease of any ribbed hat knit on circs!  the good thing is, i'm writing down everything i do so if i need to replicate it, i can.  yaybas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Leather Toggle
Creating Designs with The Bernina Cutwork Accessory
How to Make a Flower Card for Special Occasions
How to Create Posh Seam Finishes
How to Knit Red Heart Sashay Scarves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...