A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SO uninspired to knit- what's the matter with me??  (Read 996 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

badass knitter
« on: October 22, 2007 05:15:29 PM »

Okay so i don't know what my problem is.  I have multiple projects going and i love knitting i just feel like doing it is such a chore.  Once  I pick it up i'm fine but , i don't know, i just can't get into it.  I want to try to take a break and get back into it but i have christmas presents that need to be finished. Does anyone have any advice they can give me to keep me going till after i'm done with the presents? Huh Undecided Any suggetions are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting- if everyone did it there would be less problems in the world.
SO MUCH YARN!!!....... so little time!!
Any good patterns you see please send me a message about them.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.
missknittypants

Knitting is my happy place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007 06:07:47 PM »

I know what you mean.  I go through this from time to time.  Maybe it's the time of year, I don't know.  I also love the knitting but procastinate actually doing it.  Instead I'm reading about it, looking at it, etc.  Sometimes I switch and crochet something quick and easy.  I wish I knew how to break the funk  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007 06:43:32 PM »

I think no matter what the craft we all go thru that time to time......I have found that by taking a break from one craft & doing another (like Miss Knitty pants said) helps!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
Caclark4
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007 06:53:39 PM »

I feel like I'm beating the proverbial dead horse here, but I do the same as the others.  Right now, I tend to have 3 projects going-one that is road friendly, one more advanced, and one cross stitch project.  I also tend to set goals (I have a sweater I'm making for my niece that is annoying me so I have to make one piece every day to get it done).  This way I have the feeling of accomplishment.  Take a break for a day or two and see how you feel.  It will be easier to pick it back up again if you miss it rather than if its a chore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That which does not kill you makes you funnier-Joseph Fiennes
Kokeshi
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007 08:42:24 PM »

I have this really strong belief that with any kind of hobby or pastime, you should really avoid "pushing" yourself to do it when you are reluctant for any reason (unless it's something temporary like getting though a patch of boring stocking stitch on a pattern), because your mind will just start to categorize the activity as a chore, and you will feel less and less motivated. Why not just give yourself a real break? Before you know, you'll be wanting to do it again.

And as for the presents? Is there a particular reason why you have to give these as Xmas presents this year? If not, maybe you could just shelve them and finish them for next year, or as birthday presents later on. I don't think it's worth spoiling an enjoyable hobby for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottymama

not so knotty anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007 09:36:20 PM »

When I get in a slump, I try something new to me or make something small for my daughters. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soulful hues knits and knacks, hand dyed recycled yarn and fun vintage finds!http://www.soulfulhues.etsy.com

my blog: http://soulfulhuesknits.blogspot.com/
vickilicious
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007 09:45:16 PM »

I often hear about knitters losing their mojo and couldn't imagine how I'd feel in that situation.

I really agree with Kokeshi about not making your hobby into a chore. If you're dreading the Christmas knits, excuse yourself from them.

If you really have your heart set on plowing through, maybe find a special project for yourself, with a yarn or pattern you really love, and use that as a reward or escape from the projects you dread. Even if you never finish your Christmas gifts, you'll be enjoying yourself and end up with something that made you happy throughout the process.

Good luck! Have fun!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mmdm
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007 06:56:08 AM »

I almost never knit anything as a gift for someone. At least, not a gift that has to be given on a certain day like Christmas or a birthday. As soon as I think I HAVE to do something, I start procrastinating and I don't enjoy it. It's a flaw I guess, but that's me and I want to enjoy my knitting so I make sure I never HAVE TO do it. I still get bored with it sometimes and take a break and do some other craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fallencupid
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007 07:19:29 AM »

Ditto!  Cheesy

Although when it comes to knitting, it shouldn't feel like a chore and cause you stress--at least too much. Maybe you just need to take a break for a little while. I feel like I need to do that sometimes. After I finished my afghan, I was like, do I want to knit anymore? I knitted and felted a draft blocker, but still have yet to sew it. And I started another blanket (baby blanket this time), and I have like 10 rows done on that. Yet each night I say I want to sit and knit, but end up doing other things only to regret the next day that I didn't knit anything the night before.

Would this be the same as writers block; but knitters block?  Roll Eyes

Just take a couple days, weeks whatever off and see how you feel. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed because I make a list of like 20 projects I want to do for people, then stress myself out and don't knit for several months.

Knitting should be fun and not a hassle! Enjoy it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007 07:42:09 AM »

I normally just stop knitting. I'll look at patterns and blogs online to see if anything suits my interest, or I'll just do something else totally unrelated to needlework until I get my mojo back.

It happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Avocado Mask for Dry Hair
How to Make a Quick Homemade Hair Mask
How to Get More Body for Your Hair
How to Get Knots Out of Your Hair
How to Get Face Framing Curls for Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...