A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,344
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please? Need inspiration to use my Rigid Heddle Loom  (Read 4351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caprig
« on: October 22, 2007 09:20:38 AM »

I have the Davenport book on Rigid Heddle Looms (hands on) but I am completely uninspired by it. 

I can not find any other books to look at other than this one and I am kind of disappointed.

If I could see somethign that would motivate me, I would be inspired.  But there is no one around here and the few weaving books I got from the library bored me.

I am visual and if you show me something bright and exciting, I will plow through mountains to accomplish it.  However, when I have no direction I can not stir up any excitement at all.

Are there books or videos that will help me here since I have no people to turn to?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skeffto
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007 11:29:29 AM »

The only book I've got on rigid heddle weaving is the Ashford Book of Rigid Heddle Weaving by Rowena Hart.

Although some of the projects are a bit dated-looking, the variety of techniques is good and it triggers off that voice in your head that says 'hmm... this would look better in those colours/with those yarns/in this pattern...' but maybe its just me that has those voices?!  Wink

I've seen a book on Amazon called Creative Weaving by Sarah Howard and that looks like it might have some nice projects in.  I haven't looked inside it yet though, so I'm making myself wait till I get a chance to check it out before I buy it!

Good luck with finding some inspiration!

Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out http://skeffto.blogspot.com/ ...my fibre-filled blog!

and my Flickr photos... http://www.flickr.com/photos/skeffto/
caprig
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007 11:52:19 AM »

Thanks, Kate!

I might have to check that book out.  I wish there were more inspirational books on rigid heddle weaving out there.

I wish there were more books period!

Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quatzical
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007 06:56:27 PM »

What sorts of things do you want to make? Are you looking for ideas for projects (like a vest or skirt etc) or for interesting cloth worth the effort of weaving it? I'm often more inspired by the yarn or fiber I'm planning to use than pictures in books since I like to make things that are my own more than following patterns. The Davenport book projects aren't necessarily things I'd make/wear as is, but there are lots of good techniques in there.

My first project on a rigid heddle loom was a simple scarf. I bought this cool variegated yarn from the LYS at my teacher's suggestion (Crystal palace waikiki) for weft and warped the loom with some black yarn I had sitting around along with some randomly placed stripes of gold carry-along yarn from school and I couldn't wait to weave for the sake of weaving so I got home and got all the yarn entangled warping the loom. (I lost the cross. Don't lose the cross.) That didn't deter me. It took a looong time to wind the warp on the loom, but I stayed up until it was done and I could start weaving. Of course I was so excited I packed the yarn in a lot tighter than I needed to which looked/felt fine except that I ran out of yarn halfway through the scarf and was too cheap and anxious to finish to go buy more, so I used up more of the black yarn and played around with placing it unevenly and beating at angles and all sorts of fun stuff. I still really like the scarf.

Have you made anything on the loom yet? If not, maybe treat yourself to some scrumptious yarn that makes you want to use it and just make a scarf or bag or something so you get started weaving. You'll always be able to use a scarf and once you get started, you'll probably get ideas of other things you can do. The woven fabric you'll make on your loom is not going to be as tightly/finely woven (as in fine threads) as most commercial fabric but you can cut/sew it just like regular fabric, you just have to pick patterns wisely.

Hope you find some inspiration somewhere!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007 06:57:13 PM by quatzical » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infiknitty: handspun yarn and glass knitting needles
http://www.infiknitty.batcave.net

Pepo Passion Blog: Squash and Art
http://www.quatzical.blogspot.com
caprig
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007 04:54:55 AM »

Hiya,
Well, I tend to be motivated by funky color and bold designs.  Subtleties are not my strong suit.  Everything I seem to see is so mushy that I get like I used to get about watercolor- BLECK- who wants to do that?

Then I developed my own way of painting watercolor boldly so it looks like oils or pastels.

I spin my own yarns so I have been spinning up some silks -I am saving them for after I learn how to weave better. 

I have some brightly colored stuff, but I want to experiment with some acrylics that I have first so I can get the hang of it. 

I want to learn how to make my weaving into art pieces that are wearable- that is usually what motivates me and turns me on.    Just having little subtle weave patterns just bores me to look at.

There HAS to be a way to make the rigid heddle loom work for me so that I can come up with true artistic pieces that are unique yet bold and bright- scarves, clothing, whatever.

If I get an exciting idea in my head, I will stop at nothing to get it done- but so far all of the stuff I see just makes me yawn (in the two books I have seen).

Does that help at all? 

I need some kind of funky ideas that will spur me on to try out my loom.  I am hoping to do my first project in the next few weeks, but again, just having boring patterns that are subtle just does not inspire me. 

If I could figure out a way to make designs that decorate at another level of the weaving that will help. 

I just need to mess around with the acrylics I guess.  Probably will do a scarf at first like you suggested.

Thanks for the insights though- it helps a lot.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
myazangel
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007 11:26:54 AM »

It sounds like you might be more interested in a tapestry loom type thing rather than the loom you have now-- rigid heddle looms are all great for the basic 'cloth weaving', but when you want to create ART with a loom then you want a tapestry loom (my dream loom is the penelope tapestry loom...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caprig
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007 02:37:38 PM »

*chuckle*

Well, then I probably have the right loom. 

Like I said, I could only use watercolor and I wanted the brilliance of oils, so I made watercolor perform like oils......

So, I guess I will have to develop my own technique on this loom.  I just have to have the time. 

I am such a visual person that I usually need to see someone using something to capture it totally, but I had nothing at all with watercolor either.  It all was so the opposite of what I wanted.

Maybe *I* can write a book when I develop my own techniques, eh?

HAHAHAHHAHAHa

Thanks for the input!  At least I know what I am up against. 

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skeffto
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007 11:32:48 AM »

I've got a couple of photos of some quite bold stuff I've seen done on a loom similar to yours. 

It's from a natural dyeing course that I went on and we wove with the locks of wool that we dyed, not spun at all, just nice and chunky straight from the sheep (via the dye pot). 

The finished pieces were really nice and thick and would make great rugs, throws or wall hangings (shame we did them in a scarf shape...  Roll Eyes)

The first pic shows three of the finished pieces but the second pic shows a close-up of the one that my friend Liz did.  She pulled the wool through the spaces in the warp to make lumpy, pebbly 'bubble' bits that looked really effective.

I could imagine doing a really big wall hanging using this technique to create a really textural landscape like a pebbly beach, a woodland or some rolling hills.  I haven't got round to it yet though!

Don't know if that's helpful but it just occured to me that when you said bold and funky you might like a style of weaving where the fabric seems to leap right out at you!   Cheesy

Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out http://skeffto.blogspot.com/ ...my fibre-filled blog!

and my Flickr photos... http://www.flickr.com/photos/skeffto/
caprig
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007 02:40:43 PM »

OOooo that is cool!

I definitely got some inspiration there!

I am thinking of trying something- I finally got the loom put together and ready to try out, so maybe for a few weeks I will just mess around trying new things with the acrylic yarn someone gave me to mess with.

Thanks SO much.

I think that unspun fibers would be lovely too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SensiblyTacky
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008 11:12:07 AM »

man these are awesome!!

I want a rigid heddle loom so badly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mandark
How to Draw Mac From Fosters Home
How to Draw Lumpy Space Princess
How to Draw Lucario from Pokémon
How to Draw Lord Nibbler Futurama
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...