A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I bought a wheel but know nothing! Pictures and advice needed  (Read 783 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RobertaMac
Space Putz

Bun In Oven

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 22, 2007 08:43:09 AM »

As much as I've been drooling over all the spun yarn showcased here and on other sites, it was only a matter of time before I ended up with a wheel.
So during vacation, walking through admiring old linens, I nearly fell over this. Not knowing a wheel from anything else, (Like the kind and what-not) I didn't really want to pass it up, after seeing a beautiful brand new wheel at the LYS for nearly 400.00 It was like stealing this..... But I don't know if everything is there, part names, etc. I know I need a belt for it, and when I spin (treadle) it's uneven. Here are the pictures :

Any help and advice? I'd be very thankful for all of it.

Here is the yarn winder I got for next to nothing as well:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tadpole due- November 2008!
Another craft project, home made!

My stepmother's apron site

Wist
Star217
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007 07:39:56 AM »

I would try to find a local shop that does repairs. You will definitly need to oil and clean that wheel up. When you say "uneven" is the wheel warped or does the turning feel uneven because it is a single treadle? It looks like you may need bobbins, you will have to figure out the brand so you know when ones you should buy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007 08:40:46 AM »

If you want to DIY- there is a book called "The care and feeding of spinning wheels" that breaks it ALL down. It's awesome. I got it when my wheel was having problems (only to discover that I had really busted my wheel....).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007 07:05:40 PM »

I would definately see if you can get it checked out by someone- if you have a local source for spinning supplies they may know a person, or can do it themselves.

In the mean time I would go over all moving joins and brush out any fluff that may be clogging and give it a good oiling. On your setup I would clean and oil the three joins where the treadle joins the rest of the wheel- if the join is leather get any fluff out, but be a little conservative in your oil doses.

Also, the join at the middle of the wheel - don't, however, shoot oil into any holes in the solid part of the wheel itself (this can cause the parts to expand as the wood soaks up the oil), just on the outside of the wheel. Also where the rod from the treadle comes up to move the wheel.

To set up a drive band use non-stretchy string- mine is set up with waxed cotton that was tied firmly and then sewn down, but your repairist might have another preference, so if you just want to see it moving don't worry about the sewing.

Once you have the drive band moving other moving parts will become apparent, and clean and oil them in the same way as you have the others. From what I see, the metal hole next to the large round verticle disk will need to be oiled as somethign rotates in it, and so will the other down the opposite end.

It is a really beautiful wheel, and apart from either having some bobbins made up, or tracking some down, I wouldn't imagine the cost of getting it up and running would be too great. If there are any leather parts they may need to be replaced.

Good luck with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daemonwildcat
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007 01:19:40 PM »

That is a very beautiful wheel, and following the instructions of the above poster should get it into working order.

Be warned though- it may be incredibly difficult to find extra bobbins for it, and you will want more. I have 8 for my main wheel and it still isn't enough. Although, if you know someone who has a lathe and a duplicator, you can sometimes make your own.

Good luck, and happy spinning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists
Blog

I'm open to personal swaps!
If anyone would be willing to make me a corset, I'd happily carpet-bomb them with goodies ^_^
I'm also looking for long skirts and hairsticks.
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007 05:26:39 PM »

I've heard that the merlin tree will make replacement bobbins.
Don't know how much it would cost though

I've been thinking of getting an antique wheel so remembered this bit of info I saw on a spinnning forum.

http://www.themerlintree.com

No Advertisement Yadda, yadda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Two Colored Bow
How to Make a Gift Personal
How to Tie Bows
How to Create Artistic Gift Tags
How to Create a Ribbon Rose
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...