A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*~PINK PONY~*~ costume!~~ now with action shots pg 2  (Read 3343 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 22, 2007 07:58:43 AM »

I was posting in the costume sew-along on the clothing board, but its gotten so long I can hardly find what I've posted or not. So here's *my very own thread* Wink for my Halloween costume this year.

I am going to see WEEN the weekend of Halloween, Dmitri from Paris on the 31st, and possibly a Halloween camping night at a Ghost Town the weekend after (Yes I live in Canada and am going camping in November. I'm crazy. Good thing the costume is furry).

So... prior to Burning Man, I bought a bunch of cheap hair in many different colours, with the idea of making dread falls. Well I don't have a proper steamer and my kettle didn't seem to want to steam enough, so after all my patience was gone I gave up. And still had all the hair.

Decided the hair had to be used! And all I could think of was that it looked like, well, a ponytail. (I know, pretty obvious!) So that's what I decided to make. The tail was the first part I made, and since it turned out OK, I decided to go with the pony idea.

So It's not 100% finished yet, but here are the pictures so far:
(There are more in my flickr, I have a whole set for this costume: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairysari/sets/72157601964199800/)

Here's one of the "hooves" for my hands:

(The blue part is actually really sparkly, though I realise its hard to see).

Since taking the pictures, I've made some more progress and hopfully will post those soon. I made the ears and headband (still have to attach some hair), finished the tail (it has LIGHTS!!!, I'm excited to post actions shots!), and made shoe covers the go under the legwarmers. They're like the hand hooves but bigger. My BF also decide to dress up asa cowboy, so that's pretty exciting.

Thanks for looking, I appreciate any comments or suggestions!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007 10:58:33 AM by fairysari » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
Sabriel MoonStar

It wasn't supposed to turn out like that. o.0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007 08:13:24 AM »

That's awesome! I love the hooves, they are so cute. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007 08:23:58 AM »

Hey thanks Sabriel! (haven't seen you in a while! hi to piggies!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladylove
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007 09:23:44 AM »

Have to give props to a fellow burner!!!!!
good job girlie you look super cute I hope you have fun at WEEN. though its really hard not too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where ever you go, there you are.
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007 03:37:53 PM »

Thanks! I am excited,but a little worried the fur will be too hot for ween... but  whatever, I'll wear a sweatband maybe Smiley

I just bought a light up bracelet and necklace to wear with it too.

Oh and I realized I need something to carry my wallet, etc while wearing the costume. So I'm not sure if I should try to put pockets in the skirt or belt or something, or just sew a little handbag or backpack? I have lots of fur left still, but only maybe a few scraps of the blue fabric. Any ideas???

THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007 01:58:57 PM »

Aww no one has any bag/purse/pocket suggestions for me?  Cry

Haha, anyway, here's some photos of my ears so far. I think they kind of look like bunny ears because they are pink and big, but I don;t really know what I could do to change that.

I still need to add some sort of mane besides the forelock. I'm planning on putting my hair up in a ponytail, then want to use the pink hair to cover it and make it mane-like. Not sure how exactly, or if I should try to just hide my hair in a bun...

(so ignore the fact that my hair is all messy in the photo)

front:

back:

side:

thanks again for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

red_molly
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007 05:59:01 PM »

Aww no one has any bag/purse/pocket suggestions for me?  Cry

what if you made a purse that was in the shape of a feedbag for horses? That might look good.

great job on the outfit!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethz0r
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007 03:52:45 PM »

Omg, love it. Though if it were me, I'd have been a unicorn. A kickass unicorn.

One way to attach fake hair is to use caulk. No, not just by sticking it to your head. Caulky-haired ponies are so last season. Like this:

http://katiebair.com/wigtutorial_makingwefts.html

You'd probably just clip that to your own hair or devise some sort of tying mechanism type thing.

Kind of time consuming, and I don't think you'll be ostracised for having normal coloured hair. You're gonna make a pretty awesome pony either way.

And I would go with pockets, but that's because I'm lazy and I hate carrying things when I'm drunk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007 06:38:47 PM »

Totally awesome costume, please post more pictures when you are done! 

Hmmm, a bag.... um.... this is sort of dumb, but you could do two smallish fanny pack type things - to wear around your waist like 'saddlebags'  (though personally, I don't need any extra padding in those areas... anyway, just brainstorming!)  Something saddle or cowboy boot shaped?  a pink bag with a horseshoe of blue shiny? 

For your ears to look less bunny, I might try to point them outward more, or separate them more.  Maybe flop one over, or point one backward the way horses do when they are listening to something behind? 

I love the designing process, but finishing - that is the hard part.  Your costume is going to be awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007 07:39:39 PM »

Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions!

I finished the headband and all the hair. I did a weft, but I just sewed it between strips of crinoline, although that caulking idea is really cool too. It's hot glued to the headband, hangs down the back, then attached to a part that I can tie around to cover my ponytail/bun. I tried to trim it so it's kinda mane-y.

I wish I'd thought of positioning the ears differently before!! Haha they are totally stuck in the position they are in, otherwise I would totally turn them out to the sides more! I'm just hoping the fact that I have a long tail and hooves will make  them seem horsey.

I am wearing this costume out tomorrow night, so we'll see what I can do tonight. If I can figure out how to attach a cool horn maybe I will be a unicorn.

Oh and I love the horseshoe idea! I really only need a pocket for money & ID... maybe a camera... I totally can't decide if I should make a bag! Oh well, I'll try to put a horseshoe on the pocket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apriljane
They named the dog Indiana!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007 10:56:13 PM »

I love it!! Love it!
And those ears! Great job!!

I've been working on my own in my quest to rid myself of pink/blue/and lots of fake hair, too, farting around and not doing things with any speed, so I'll probably pull an all nighter tonight, be a zombie tomorrow-- but a zombie with a complete costume and droopy eyes. Cheesy

I LOVE your pony!! Yay!
Take lots and lots of full length pics when you wear it out! I can't wait to see 'em!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For Sale - wigs, clothes, costumes, shoes, jewelry:
Online Yard Sale!

My Wists

My Costuming Site (under construction)
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007 07:50:14 AM »

Thanks so much! I tried to take pictures of the finished headpiece last night, but camera battery died. So I got one picture, but it's hard to tell whats going on. And my camera is charged now, but my costume is in my boyfriend's car at work right now (I didn't want to wear it on, or carry it on the train later).

So that's the back view, lying on the floor. the thin part starts between the ears, and goes straight down to the bigger ponytail cover part.

Anyway, I'm wearing it tonight, so I'll have action shots soon I hope!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirchita

somewhere over the rainbow....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007 01:55:47 PM »

great!!!! I am making a pony costume to my dd, and those hooves just made me YAY!!! I will show you when I get done, I dont have even strted, and we need it for saturday!!! so, I am going to cut bye!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schmerin
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007 12:36:50 PM »

AHHH! I died when I saw this -- so sickeningly cute! The way you did the hooves is so innovative. I've never seen a visor look better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007 10:52:23 AM »

I wore my costume out on Friday and Saturday. Everyone really seemed to like my costume. I forgot to bring my camera out with me, and I don't remember posing for any digital pictures- a few friends had disposable cameras so I'll see if those pictures turn up eventually. I did take a few pictures before going out. I might go out again on the 31st,so maybe I'll get better action shots then.

Oh and the silly faces are because my boyfriend was giving me directions as he was taking the pictures: "Ok let's see happy pony! Now confused pony! OK sad pony!"

And a really terrible picture of the tail lighting up. I need a better one of this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
This Is How to Fake a Before & After Photo
Geographically, There Are No Secrets
Capturing Desert Gold
Photograph on the Edges
The Secret to Shortcuts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...