A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,665
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patterns aren't in my size?  (Read 430 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachelp1024
« on: October 21, 2007 06:16:28 AM »

I'm a pretty small girl... I'm short and thin. I have the hardest time finding patterns that'll fit me. Is there a way that I can change the measurements so they'll fit me? I'm extremely new to the whole sewing thing so sorry if this is dumb question Tongue

1st posts, wohoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007 07:47:39 AM »

Hi rachelp1024!  Welcome to Craftster!

You may already know this, but I thought I'd mention it because it's a weird thing many new sewers don't know.  You should pick your pattern size based on your body measurements, not based on your ready to wear (RTW) size.  For example, I wear an 8/10 RTW, but based on my measurements my sewing pattern size is usually between 14 and 16 (it is not unusual for the sewing pattern size to be 2-3 sizes larger than your RTW size).  I then look at the finished garment measurements, if I am lucky enough to have them on the envelope, or check places like sewing.patternreview.com to see if a pattern runs large or small.  If it is a fitted garment, you only need a couple of inches of extra room (ease) in the finished measurements over your body measurements.  Often I will make the smaller size, a 14, since many patterns have a lot of ease built in that I don't want.

If you still find that the pattern sizes do not come small enough, I have heard of people making a pattern smaller by retracing the pattern, subtracting the amount between the smallest size and the next size up -- patterns are usually printed with multiple sizes on the paper.  As for being short, you will find petite adjustments built in on most patterns - there are lines where you should fold the pattern to remove some length.  Well, I hope this helps and isn't too confusing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
turtletrbl
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007 12:22:17 PM »

Another thing that I would suggest is to check the children's and junior size patterns.  A girl's size 16 actually corresponds to a woman's size 12 or a junior's 11/12 in patterns (which would be close to a 2 or 4 in regular clothes).  That means that junior sizes should fit you because they go all the way down to a 3/4. 

If you are short and thin, there are some girl's patterns in sizes 10-16 that would probably fit you.  As a bonus, they are cut less curvy than the womens patterns, which is nice if you are flat like I am.  I also find that girls and juniors patterns are often somewhat MORE fashion-forward than the women's.  I especially like Simplicity and some of McCall's.  Hope this helps! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GilligansWake
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007 07:11:34 AM »

There are a number of  books  describing how to alter patterns to fit your body. You can find them easily at your favorite online book outlet just by doing a search. Simplicity has one that seems to get good reviews and there are others. Or just check out your local bookstore. But where I live selection is limited so I prefer online shopping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007 09:28:37 PM »

Look in the very back of the pattern books, almost every brand has a "custom fitting guide" type thing that looks like a really generic long sleeve fitted dress. This is a special pattern you use to tailor your own clothing and future patterns.

What you do is make it in something like muslin, making all appropriate adjustments so that it fits perfectly, then take it apart. For everything you do after that, slap your perfect fit muslin down on the pattern & the tweaking is already done : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classic BLT Recipe
Healthy Pancakes Recipe With Judy Joo
Spicy Meatloaf Po’Boys With Smoked Provolone
Honey-Basil Grilled Cheese Recipe
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Pizza Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...