A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No-fail bath bombs  (Read 19077 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2007 11:02:58 PM »

ETA: I had this just as a recipe in discussions, but decided to add a pic and move it to finished projects. Obviously the pic is of the half mold variety made using the pull apart Christmas ornaments and not my regular mini muffin tin bombs. To pack them in really firmly I push on the top with the bottom of a (clean) 16 oz amber glass bottle, it's the perfect size. The pic shows the bottom of the ornament, but I really used just the top half, it is a tiny bit bigger than the bottom, as you can tell by the fake pic of me pushing on the already dry bomb with the glass bottle. The top half has a little bit of a tab which is nice to hold onto and allows you to tap the bomb out easier than using the bottom half.  These bombs are eucalyptus rosemary mint. And the wussy little one on the right isn't a whole one, it's just what I had left over. Cheesy

I know there are a couple people having problems with pre-fizzing bath bombs, so here's the recipe I use. No spritzing with witch hazel and adding the citric acid at the end saves if from fizzing while you make them. You can leave out the SLSA if you don't like using it.

Bath Bombs

Dry
2 cups Baking Soda
1 cup Corn Starch (if you don't want to use this, replace with sea salts)
2/3 cup Fine Sea Salts
*2/3 cup Sodium Laurel Sulfoacetate (SLSA)* OPTIONAL

Wet
5 tablespoons any oil or butter (Try sunflower, olive, or sweet almond oil, or shea or cocoa butter. Melt butter if using and cool slightly)
4 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon Fragrance Oil
Coloring (water based, mp soap type colorants work best. If you only have oil based mix it in with your carrier oil thoroughly before step 1)

To add at end
1 to 2 cups Citric Acid (I think the higher amount of citric acid makes a harder bomb)

1. Add the oil, water, FO, and coloring and mix in one bowl. Of course the oil and water wont actually mix together, but get it all in there.  

2. In another bowl toss together all dry ingredients, except citric acid, being very careful with the SLSA since it is a superfine powder and will get up your nose and you will choke! You might want to wear a little mask at this point, Michael Jackson style.

3. Add the liquid to the dry mixture and stir.

4.  Mix well with hands, while doing this start adding the citric acid.

5. It is ready to mold when it reaches pie crust consistency. Pile into mold cavity and push very hard down into molds.  

6. Tap molds out immediately onto a cookie sheet or wax paper to dry. You might want to try to use a paper towel, but that would be a bad idea.

7.  Let dry overnight and package the next day. Use slippery tub caution due to oils in the mix.

**Add 1/2 t Poly 80 to oils to make oil dispersible in water, optional.

Tips: I usually use mini muffin molds to make my bombs, to get them harder I overfill each muffin tin with the mix and push down on the top of it with a bottle that is the exact size of the muffin tin (I belive it's a 4 oz fo bottle). I remove from molds immediately.  Try to resist adding extra liquids even though it will feel very dry. Correct consistency is like slightly wet sand you find after digging down a little ways under dry sand. If it's too dry to hold together, add a few drops water or oil at a time, but try to do that before adding citric acid.

Makes 10 half spheres @ 2 oz. each. For one tub use 2 oz (half sphere).
Makes 18-22 mini muffins. Use 2 per bath.

* I added the SLSA for foaming. It was not in the original recipe and is fine without it, it is WAY more expensive than the rest of the ingredients, but I like them to foam and fizz. Some people are allergic to it, it is a surfectant.

Credit to Froggie from Yahoo groups who gave me the original recipe many years ago.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009 03:10:31 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
ravenladyj
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007 06:56:58 AM »

OOOH thanks so much for posting this! I want to make bath bombs for my kids Xmas basket rather than buy them this yr but I've been really iffy on trying it.....You;re instructions are great and should help a great deal  Grin Thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
csmith9208
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008 06:10:50 PM »

Hi all!

I am going to give this a whirl, but here is my question. After reading the directions, I don't understand how to get it into the cupcake type molds. It says to press the material into the molds hard. If I am making the cupcake type, wouldn't I just pour it in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gigiallin
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008 07:33:10 PM »

It isn't wet like cucake batter. It's a ever so slightly wet powder. You compress it into whatever shape you want. It's moisture that makes bath bombs fizz. If the batter gets too wet it will foam up before you get it to the tub.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ttms
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008 06:29:04 PM »

I have always want to try my hand at bath bombs, I saw a live demo at a soap gathering and it looked soooo easy....  maybe one of these days...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blithe314
Messy Haired Mommy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008 04:53:45 PM »

Now I know what my cousins are getting for the holidays!  Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sahmom
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009 04:52:15 PM »

I am NOT good at crafts; however this recipe is incredible! I tried another recipe on another site and was not really impressed. I had to fidget with the amounts to get one decent bomb. Made four with this recipe on  and wow! Perfect
bath bombs! Thanks so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homemommie
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009 03:27:26 PM »

This sounds like exactly what I was looking for. YAY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009 02:55:15 PM »

I updated this because I ALWAYS double the recipe I had originally (if not quadruple or more), and when I made it the other day I realized that I had the incorrect yield listed, it was the yield of a double batch with the ingredients for a single batch. So if you made this and thought it didn't make nearly as much as I said it would, I apologize!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009 03:00:58 PM »

Thank you for the update Mare Mare. I actually had this bookmarked for some crafting that I'm doing very soon.

One quick question, what is Poly 80?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
California Sushi Roll Recipe
Wok Chicken with Alex McCord
Baked Panko Salmon Recipe
How to Make Lacha Paratha
How to Make an Easter Roast Spiced Chicken with Indian Style Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...