A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about getting guage & changing needle sizes  (Read 388 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2007 09:44:24 AM »

This has happened to me for several garment projects-

I can't get the gauge in the recommended yarn weight (too big) so i keep going down in needle sizes to get it. How many needles sizes down is too much?

for example, let's say i am swatching for a project that recommends #7's on a worsted weight yarn, my swatch is too big on 7, ,6, 5, and 4's which is my smallest needle size- What would be the best course of action?

1. continue swatching on smaller needles, 3, 2, until i get it (even though it's worsted weight) and then use that?

2. take my gauge from one of the larger needle sizes and try to do a couple less pattern repeats to make the garment smaller - AKA "get all mathy on the pattern's ass" ?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007 10:11:57 AM »

Are you using a similar yarn weight? If you are and going down 3 sizes doesn't get you close to gauge, then you'll need to do a different size. If you go down too far in your needles, you're apt to get a very stiff, dense fabric. So pick the needle size that gives you a knit that you like, check to see how many sts per inch you get, then multiply by how many sts you need. See if there's a size given (for sweaters and things) that has a similar number of sts and use those instructions. For scarves, wraps and blankets, yes, just CO less sts for the width you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
cranberry
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007 10:25:14 AM »

No 2 might be the case. Get mathy. Like, get your gauge swatch and calculator on.

It makes no sense you going down to 3's on a worsted weight, you won't get the drape and the material will feel like cardboard. Ask me how I know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007 03:07:46 PM »

yes, thank you both.

soozeq, i do use a yarn in the same weight, i wonder if i knit incredibly loose?
I will use your suggestion.

cranberry, that's what i was worried about, getting stiff fabric, thanks for the advice!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
redwitch
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007 05:29:06 PM »

Try knitting a wool that has st/rows per 10cm specified on the label. Do you get that tension with the specified needle size?

If you still have to go down 3 sizes below what the label says in order to get the label gauge, don't worry about stiff fabric: it's not the needle size but the size of your stitches you need to worry about, and you are aiming for what the label specifies. You are a very loose knitter.

If you do not have to go down 3 needles sizes, then you are doing something odd with your calculations and expecting to use a needle size that is smaller than what that wool requires, check with a knittiung mate or someone from your local wool shop that you are using the right size.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sponge Balls for Kids
How to Make Toy Boats with Wooden Blocks
How to Make Daffodil Decorations
How to Make Tissue Paper Carnations
How to Make Tissue Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...