A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,064
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Broken Craftster Crafts Cast  (Read 1853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toothy
« on: October 21, 2007 07:57:19 AM »

Or, the hair of the horse that 'bit' me (I've been thinking about decoupaging some of that on my cast too).

I broke my dominant arm (my left) in a fall from my horse a little over 4 weeks ago.  Last week, I got a new cast so I decoupaged George Stubbs' drawing of a horse skeleton.  This is not a completed project as I plan to ad more images.  I've also had my husband write a Winston Churchil quote on the side but we've got to work on that - it isn't very legible as fiberglass is difficult to write on.  I may paint over it with acrylic and have him rewrite the quote ("No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle").

Any ideas for more images to add?  I've been looking for some good tattoo images but haven't found anything that excites me.  I was thinking it would be cool to add jewels and such but I 'm worried they would get caught on stuff.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
beruta
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007 04:59:51 AM »

Hi!
A great idea!
A while ago my cat broke one leg, the veterinarian put her a very cool bandage, it was green with black cat steps printed on it. When I saw it I thought that it was a pity that when the doctor puts you a bandage they are always of that horrible creammy colour! I also thought to tint it next time I need one. The problem is that I don`t know what would think the doctor if you go saying : "sorry,  could you put me this pink bandage instead of that  Roll Eyes?"
So I`m afraid that your best option is to modify it after at home, a pity, but for sure I`ll do it next time!

Right now I don`t remember where, but I saw a place where they sell beautifull bandages, one of them got a couple of dots as they were pearls, it was very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

more details:
www.beruta.net
toothy
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007 05:49:29 AM »

Thank you for the heads up Beruta!

Just so you know, the fiberglass casts come in a variety of colors.  One of the things that struck a note of irony in me immediately after having the break reduced was that I was offered my choice of purple,blue (dark), hot pink, dark green or bright (florescent) yellow.

In my compromised state, purple was the most rebellious color I could think of.  It was nice, but a tad conservative.  So, when I got to choose with a clear head, it was yellow for me(-:

Cute too, a little girl about 9yrs old came in while I was waiting to be taken in.  We saluted each other with our casts and she was very jazzed about the colors.  We had a big conversation about how when I was her age, white was it.  She would have loved a cast like your cat's.

I hope kitty is feeling better.  It is so much harder to see little kids and critters injured.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007 08:03:18 AM »

When I was young my mom broke her wrist several times, she was an interior decorater so she immediatly decorated her cast, whenever they changed it she'd just redo it. It drove my dad insane. She did get to have the colored cast.

Yours is great she put jewels on hers and they didn't catch on her clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sasserdesas

Real heroes never die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007 10:02:30 AM »

I just have to giggle at it, it's such a nice idea in my opinion. I don't have any idea of something to put onto it, except of maybe with jewelry wire, and just put some nice beads on it and drape it around your arm.. Here in the Netherlands, you can get all sorts of bandages, with tiger print and euhrr well i don't know more but, well, you have a great choice. therefor i always wanted to break my arm once. Ok now i sound really stupid I think. But the thing is, 5 weeks ago i broke my tailbone. And it sucks, because i don't get a bandage, only a stupid thing i have to sit on. But ok. I wish you a lot of luck, that you may recover fast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beruta
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007 06:00:14 AM »

You can choose the colour at the doctor??? You`re lucky!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

more details:
www.beruta.net
midget

craftiness out the wahzoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007 04:37:14 PM »

haha, looks great and that illustration was such a nice choice
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.meloyelo.etsy.com
d.i.y = l.o.v.e
bronzfrog
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007 07:59:00 AM »

That's awesome!
I hope I'm never in your situation but if I am I know what to do with the cast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
toothy
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007 02:45:46 PM »

Thanks for all your responses!

One thing I didn't think of when decorating my cast was the radiopacity (the inability of xrays to penetrate) of some of the stuff I put on my cast.

I healed faster than I got around to taking and posting a picture but I took Noushi's mom's cue and modge podged some flat jewels around the horse's feet.  I then smeared cerulean blue, thalo yellow green and cadmium white about to make clouds about the horse's head and modged podged some tattoo swallows I downloaded from the web.  It should be noted that cadmium white and jewels could interfere with the doctor's ability to read any xrays taken after you've completed your art work(-:  I would imagine that titanium white or any other paint that contained metals would do the same thing.  I got lucky and missed the critical areas so all was well.

I had planned to modge podge a naughty pin-up girl on a rocking horse and a flying rabbit but I never got to it in time.   With any luck, I'll have to find something else to modge podge in the future!

Best to you all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Favorite Summer Lipsticks
Favorite Lip Colors and Bronzers for Summer
French Riviera Summer Makeup Tutorial
Must Have Summer Lipstick Shades
Beach Peach Makeup Tutorial for Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Quick Summer Dress
Marvelous Matryoshkas
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...