A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you make...  (Read 1006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

The_Final_Beast
« on: October 20, 2007 06:34:35 PM »

A Jack-In-The-Box? I've looked high and low! Unless there is some new term for them now  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zosomoto
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007 06:57:06 AM »

I made one a while back... only mine was a clown in the box...

I'd be happy to share how I made him if this is what you had in mind Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007 08:47:37 AM »

I don't know if it's what The_Final_Beast had in mind - but I have been wondering about this one and would love to find out how it's done.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
zosomoto
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007 11:21:52 AM »

I don't know if it's what The_Final_Beast had in mind - but I have been wondering about this one and would love to find out how it's done.

Thanks!

okay Smiley  first I cut out 6 square pieces of sturdy cardboard and taped 5 of them together with masking tape to form the box sides and bottom... leaving the 6th one aside for the lid.

I covered the outside of the entire box with felt pieces that only covered each individual square and sewed all of the edges together.

After covering both sides of the lid with felt I sewed it onto the box. For the crank I used a coat hanger bent in a sort of s shape that I poked through the box and secured inside by bending it over and taping it in place.

I also filled the hole it went through with glue to keep it well in place. The ball on the end is a plastic Christmas tree ornament that I painted black and glued to the end of the wire.

After making the clown doll for inside,( he has no legs...just a long torso to reach the bottom of the box)  I cut a square piece of black fabric (about an inch larger than the box opening all around) and slit the center large enough to get the doll body through.

After putting him in the box I just sewed the edges of the fabric to the edges of the box and then around his mid section.  I painted the skulls on paper and glued them onto the box  and sewed the felt frames around them.

Oh and if your interested in his knife... I used cardboard for a base shape and then built it up with paper clay ( I LOVE that stuff)  and painted it with acrylics.

The clown will push down into the box and it will close completely but of course the crank isn't functional.

I hope that makes sense!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nureintier
Pobody's Nerfect

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007 03:03:07 PM »

very cute, zosomoto!

I just wanted to say that I used to make small ones that had similar box construction, but I used sturdy plastic canvas instead of cardboard and then covered that with felt or whatever, because it's easy to cut a perfect square out of it of course and you can put it together, cover it, and sew through the canvas as well. Mine were pretty tiny though because I made them as Christmas tree ornaments with little pom-pom animals inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zosomoto
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008 07:19:13 PM »

they aound adorable Smiley Do you have pictures of them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Cinnamon Dinner Apples Recipe
Fiesta Corn Relish Recipe
Baked Chicken with Sour Cream Gravy Recipe
Best Ever Oven Baked Tuna Casserole Recipe
Cheddar Apple Crisp Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...