A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell me it gets better!!! Pics too.  (Read 1153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Strawhatbrat
« on: October 20, 2007 12:13:56 PM »

I used my wheel for the first time last night. It was NOT easy. Nope. not at all.
Here was last nights first attempt: I've never even used a drop spindle.

And here is my second try last night.... where I *almost* started to get it. I don't think it's actually useable... but I'm keeping it FOREVER!!
On the bobbin:

On the niddy noddy:

In a hank:

But the truth is.... when it isn't twisted into a neat hank... it looks like this: (but still WAY better than last night, right??)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007 12:16:14 PM by Strawhatbrat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dragonflyducky
easily distracted

ooooooooh!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007 12:18:47 PM »

It does get easier!
What kind of wheel do you have?  In the picture with the spool I don't see the brake band that mine has.  Ofcourse there are many wheels with different set ups....Are you sure it's set up correctly?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strawhatbrat
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007 12:32:52 PM »

The brake band is on the right... I did forget to put it back. I'll be trying again today... with the brake band ON.

this really is so much fun.

I have a couple books that I'll be looking through today. I know NOTHING about tension, brake band function... anything. I just HAD to experiment last night. Plus, the wool smells sooooo good.  There's a class at our local LYS but it isn't until mid November.

The wheel is the ashford traveller. It was a toss up between that one and the lendrum when I played with them at the LYS. I liked them both the same, but I thought this one was prettier. So she won Smiley
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007 12:35:17 PM by Strawhatbrat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dragonflyducky
easily distracted

ooooooooh!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007 12:34:41 PM »

try messing around with the brake tension to see what you like.  I bet you could just pick someone's brain at the LYS if you need tips.  I have also seen some spinning videos online....can't remember where...maybe  youtube?
Good luck... wool does smell great, and feel great Grin
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007 01:26:30 PM by dragonflyducky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007 05:27:04 PM »

Your stuff looks great and even. When it isn't twisted up it will be kinky- its a single so it can't be balanced like a plied yarn could. While you can spin a single with low twist that will hang straight, it isn't expected right off the bat(t)!

Anyway, what you have done so far is fantastic, and it does get easier and more even and the rest of it. I stuggle to get the fun slubs, thick singles and uneveness I had when I was a beginner now. I really didn't appreciate them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007 07:53:11 AM »

It looks great!  We all started out with yarn like this.   Grin  Just takes a little time and practice.

Have you set the twist on your single?  It will help with the kinks.  Just soak your yarn in a bowl of hot water for about 15 minutes and hang it up to dry.  You can weight it if you wish; I usually weight my singles (but not my plied yarn) in order to help make them easier to knit. 

Welcome to our little spinning community!  You should post this yarn on the Fiber Friday board this Friday.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
sarahbird
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007 11:54:57 PM »

That second skein looks nice!  You're progressing much faster than I did, don't worry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog - random crafty musings:
sarahbird.wordpress .com
the etsy - handspun yarn and more:
sarahbirdspins.etsy .com
LizzieMcGuire

loves knitting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007 01:41:07 AM »

I think your second skein looks good!
If your yarn is uneven and a bit overspun you can try plying. That really motivated me, because it looks much better even if your singles are not perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananasplit
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007 07:36:55 PM »

Your yarn is perfect!  When it's all twisty, their called 'energized singles' if you knit them like this, they lay differently, but some people like to do energized projects.

To tame them, soak in hot water, and hang them up.  I usually put a moderate amount of weight on them.  I use a Container Store S Shower hook (big plastic thing) and hang it from the shower rod, then use another hook attached to the bottom of the skein, and from that I'll hang whatever is handy to weigh it down some.  One time it was a partly filled kettle.  Another time I used a plastic kids bucket and put the shampoo and conditioner bottles in it.  Literally, whatever is handy.  Let it dry liek that and it will behave.

Rock on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007 10:48:00 AM »

I have the same wheel and you do have it set up okay the way it is.

One of the lovely things about the Traveller is you can use it as either a double band drive (the way it is set up in your picture) or using a single band drive and either Scotch or Irish tension using the brake band.

I think your yarn is beautiful and wish I could still spin that way without having to concentrate so hard to do it!!

When you ply this with another single (with your wheel going in the opposite direction that you spun your singles), you'll remove some of the extra energy in those singles.

Also, when drying my hand spun, I do not weight the yarn.  I know a lot of folks are taught/teach that, but if you do, know that when you make an item from the weighted yarn, once that article gets wet, it will need to be heavily blocked so the yarn doesn't take the shape of it's unweighted self.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Man Creates Stunningly Realistic Diorama Of His 1950s-Era Home Town
Cover Girls: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Burlesque: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Fencing: The Sartorialist For AOL On
The Life of Man: 80 Faces in 40 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...