A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,748
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Top vs. Bottom Whorl-  (Read 764 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catnip777
« on: October 15, 2007 06:29:46 AM »

My friend and I are interested in learning how to spin.  Obviously, spindles are the least expensive way to learn.  However, I am not sure whether I should get us a top or bottom whorl.  Is it just a matter of preference?  Any advice?

Thanks!

Anne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007 07:15:59 AM »

I've found that it is easier to spin on a top whorl, but I think this is something that varies from person to person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007 09:10:33 AM »

I use a bottom whorl and I see a lot of videos on some steps for it but not many on how to take the yarn off or that sort of thing.
It also seems like it's easier to get a top whorl spinning becasue you can roll it on your leg.
A bottom you have to periodically manually spin it and this means you have to stop spinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daemonwildcat
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007 01:27:41 PM »

I own and spin on both and truly I don't see much of a difference. I spin most often with my top whorl, but that is because I prefer the weight of it (2.4 ounces to my bottom whorl's 1.2 ounces)
I say just try to find somewhere where you can try both out, and if possible try different weights and see what you like best. You could also get 2 different ones if you're stuck ordering online.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists
Blog

I'm open to personal swaps!
If anyone would be willing to make me a corset, I'd happily carpet-bomb them with goodies ^_^
I'm also looking for long skirts and hairsticks.
sarahbird
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007 09:28:25 PM »

I prefer top whorl myself, but I think it's pretty much a personal preference.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog - random crafty musings:
sarahbird.wordpress.com
the etsy - handspun yarn and more:
sarahbirdspins.etsy.com
Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007 12:45:33 PM »

I <3 my top whorl. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007 11:53:11 AM »

I have both top and bottom whorl spindles and both work equally well for me.

I find the weight of the spindles more important than where the whorl is located.

I've heard of folks rolling the spindle on their leg, but I've only seen that done with navaho spindles.  A simple snap of the fingers sets both my top and bottom whorl spindles a going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
cottondeer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007 12:24:58 PM »

I use both, like both, don't see that much of a difference, really. I've read that it's easier for beginners to use bottom-whorls. I use bottom-whorls when I want to spin singles, because it's hard for me to spin anything but thin singles on a top-whorl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cottondeer's Etsy
Free Domestic Shipping through March 31!
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007 02:18:09 PM »

My friend and I are interested in learning how to spin.  Obviously, spindles are the least expensive way to learn.  However, I am not sure whether I should get us a top or bottom whorl.  Is it just a matter of preference?  Any advice?

Thanks!

Anne

You could build your own spindles with CD's & dowels (I know there's instructions at SpinOff magazine's website, I just don't have it handy right now) and try it both ways. Or try a yahoo/google search, there's probably others sites that have make-your-own-spindle instructions. Use rubberbands or something like that to hold the CD in place instead of looking for the grommets (unless you have grommets laying around).  Trying it both ways is really the best way to see which works for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007 06:39:02 PM »

Thanks!

Anne

You could build your own spindles with CD's & dowels (I know there's instructions at SpinOff magazine's website, I just don't have it handy right now) and try it both ways. Or try a yahoo/google search, there's probably others sites that have make-your-own-spindle instructions. Use rubberbands or something like that to hold the CD in place instead of looking for the grommets (unless you have grommets laying around).  Trying it both ways is really the best way to see which works for you.
I used Hair elastics instead of grommets. Works Great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding Finishing Touches to Your Chalk Drawing
Adding Shadow and Depth to Your Chalk Drawing
Placing Color on Your Chalk Drawing
Using and Blending Color for Your Chalk Drawing
How to Create a Preliminary Layout of Your Chalk Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...