A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: magic apple and hungry lightswitch  (Read 2672 times)
Tags for this thread: anglerfish , light_switch_cover  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katatsumuli
« on: October 19, 2007 08:44:33 PM »

I live in a rented house for college, and it needs a lot of work pretty much everywhere (this is a polite way of saying it looks like a haunted garage). The landlord said I could paint whatever I wanted as long as it was tasteful, giving an entire house painted in neon red and orange hippie flowers as an example of not tasteful that had happened to one of her other rentals.

So I did this a few months ago:

Anglerfish in the bathroom. This lightswitch had peeling paint and was very ugly and dirty. Now it's clean and painted  Grin.

It's very easy to find my reference picture on the internet, but it came out looking much more cartoony than it. (Which I'm happy about. I like its menacing/innocent face.) The lure is done in glow-in-the-dark acrylic, and the back is black acrylic; I kind of like the bumpy texture (ignore the annoying light shines). The rest is all nailpolish done with the original awkwardly blunt brushes, because I'm full of lazy masochism and wanted to see if I could do it. I also thought nailpolish would be more sturdy and easier to clean than acrylic. Once when it was dark, I felt like she was trying to bait me.

A closeup of the anglerfish. I screwed it on and then painted the socket with the wrong color (doh). I think I like it though.

Wormy apple Cheesy. There wasn't anything wrong with this lightswitch, I just felt like painting it. The left switch was white and the right switch is still black; I'm not sure how someone did that.

It's all done in nailpolish (with its blunt brushes again; excuse the pink around the worm...I'll get rid of it later) except the worm's eyes, which are acrylic. I tried using at least three different colors on the apple because the silver I have is extremely old and crappy (watery). I have more worm-colored nailpolish, but I decided to use that pink because I got it from my (by now late) grandmother when I was little.

It's silver because someone put some small "an apple a day" decals over the sink, and I was thinking of folktales with a forest of trees with bronze leaves and fruit, silver leaves and fruit, and golden leaves and fruit. (The fruit is jewels sometimes though.) The golden apple is the most famous apple, but there are silver ones too. This kind of folktale is probably pretty common, but I only know Hungarian ones so I can't confirm it.

I wanted to paint a branch of silver apple tree coming out of the window near the lightswitch, but realized it would require repainting the window frame and washing and probably repainting entire wall (and plaster patching near the lightswitch) so it's only this piece of apple for now.

I don't know what to put on the black lightswitch by the apple. Any ideas? The best would be if it was a movable object thing like the others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@  @,  .@  _@:  _@=  _@v   _@V   ..........._@V -(<3)
nixiecoolgirl
Breakdance, not hearts.

Do You Want Some...RAMEN?! XD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007 10:09:32 PM »

How cute! That apple is adorable, especially wish the cute worm switch!  It's so creative and cool! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When the fluffy ducks run up to get you, all you should do is quack.
katatsumuli
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007 10:58:13 PM »

Thank you  Cheesy. I always imagine worms coming out of apples, so I was thinking about pink (I guess it's a magic one for eating a folktale apple), but I know they're maggots/caterpillars, so I remembered I could give it eyes. It's fun to wiggle.

Hey, that's it! I could make a second, lower hanging apple behind that one and have another worm. Or a leaf could get an inchworm.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puppybreath

everything we do, is just everything we've done

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007 01:52:54 PM »

I was browsing through recent with pics last night and was inspired by your lightswitch cover. and i mean immeadietly inspired cause i dropped everything to make one like it the minute i saw yours. Here's mine:

The apple is Victoria's Secret tissue paper and the worm was painted with fabric paint, it was all i had. Thanks for giving me something to do while my husband was out watching "30 Days of Night" last night.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katatsumuli
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007 10:30:46 PM »

I was browsing through recent with pics last night and was inspired by your lightswitch cover. and i mean immeadietly inspired cause i dropped everything to make one like it the minute i saw yours. Here's mine:

The apple is Victoria's Secret tissue paper and the worm was painted with fabric paint, it was all i had. Thanks for giving me something to do while my husband was out watching "30 Days of Night" last night.  Smiley

Wow. I'm not sure I've ever inspired someone to make something before. I feel really honored. (I also feel like breaking into maniacal laughter and saying something about the worms taking over.)

I love your wormy apple. It looks like a children's book; actually like Eric Carle with that cutout apple. Way to go for recycling tissue paper, too  Grin. I admire your zen of 'that's all I had'. At that point I would have probably been bad and gone shopping for craft supplies ^^;.

(In regards to 'that's all I had' for the worm I think you're fine Smiley.) I usually just call all acrylic paints acrylic (and use them to paint fabric and everything else), but all the acrylic I used in mine was 'dimensional (is this the new word for puffy?)' black or glow fabric paint. I've been using both light switches for months with no problems. With the fish I feared it coming off or getting dirty (it has a really thick coat of glow) but it didn't. Because it's so thick it's still soft enough to poke with a nail if I wanted to ruin it, so I think I'll coat it with clear nailpolish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007 09:05:14 AM »

Isn't it amazing how small things like changing a light switch can make a room look better? Very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
katatsumuli
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007 07:56:44 PM »

Isn't it amazing how small things like changing a light switch can make a room look better? Very cool.

Thank you  Cheesy. And yeah, the bathroom lightswitch made me depressed every time I looked at it because of the ugly half-off paint, and the kitchen one was just there (and on a bad wall). Now they both make me happy all the time (despite not actually fixing the other things wrong with the rooms they're in). I made them with an intent to leave them and not care, but I'll miss them when I eventually move.

When I was little I had fantasies of just...fixing random places and leaving. I guess that never really left me, although these things are very small fixes Smiley. (Maybe a detriment...I hope the next tenants like them Lips sealed.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007 12:52:03 AM »

My crappy-run-down-apartment also has Light switches where one side has a white switch and the other is black.    Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katatsumuli
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007 02:56:33 PM »

My crappy-run-down-apartment also has Light switches where one side has a white switch and the other is black.    Roll Eyes

Hahaha  Grin. We can be twins. (Maybe there's a secret Slumlords Supply Co. somewhere...) Did you also have one light switch where the panel was there but the actual switch was missing, and one that had the switch but not the panel?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cathy Erway on How to Find a Literary Agent Right For You
Eleven Days in August
Graeme Simsion on the Rosie Project
Mario Livio on Brilliant Blunders
Mary Higgins Clark on Her Writing Career
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...