A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,236
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift for Wizard of Oz fan  (Read 2712 times)
Tags for this thread: wizard_of_oz  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2004 06:08:14 PM »

I'm sitting hear watching the Wizard of Oz (ok, I just changed it to watch Desperate Housewives) and realized that I'd like to make my little sister something Wizard of Oz-ish for Christmas.  I purchased her a shirt that says "I just haven't been the same since that house landed on my sister."  My sister is not girlie, so purses and such are out.  Any other suggestions??  My sewing abilities are very limited and I can't knit or crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happify
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004 09:19:03 PM »

I don't know if she's into the movie only, or the books as well, but if she's the literary type, the old covers and illustrations are absolutely wonderful and whimsical and art deco/nouveau.  A journal with that on the cover would be lovely.  Or framed in a vintage frame. 

Or poppies -- pier one has really pretty ones.  A certificate that she has a brain?  A stuffed flying monkey?  Perhaps a brain, a heart, and some courage? 

Or even use some quotes and embroider them onto a pillow case for one of those heating things with corn/wheat in it. 

Good luck,
Julia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004 09:53:18 PM »

Using some illustrations in a journal is a great idea!

My mother is a huge fan of the books AND the movie.  One of her fondest childhood memories is from the summer she read the books for the first time.  So, a couple years ago, my dad and I got on Ebay and hunted down every one of the 14 original books, all from the same edition that my mother read all those years ago.  (1956, 57?  Somewhere around there.)  We wrapped up just the first one in a box with a wicked witch pillow and when she opened it up she was just so excited.  Imagine her surprise when, 4 gifts later, she opened up what she thought was a new microwave by the size and weight of the box, and found the rest of the books!  Now, getting all of them was a chore, and you might not want to go to that much trouble, but buying just the first one would be VERY easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
purple_hippo
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004 10:40:41 PM »

Red sequin shoes!
There's a post here somewhere
absolutely fantastic
who needs to be a girly girl for ruby slippers?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
teehee
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004 11:02:01 PM »

I doubt this is helpful, but I felt so special b/c there was a movie theater showing it on my birthday before.

There are a ton of great quotes from that movie. You could put them on stationary, clothing, notebooks, whatever she'd actually use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004 11:05:23 PM »

Or!   How about some red "Chucks" (Converse) that have been glitterified?!   Def. not "girly" shoes, but glitter makes 'em Ozified! 

Think of some lines like the one on the shirt you already bought her and stencil some pillowcases, a hoodie, a backpack or totebag, etc.  One of my fave shirts looked like a hand-written letter and said:

"Dear Dorothy,

HATE Oz, took the shoes, find your own way home!

- Toto"

"I identify with Dorothy.  I seem to attract guys who are cowards, have no heart, or are in need of a brain!"

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004 04:18:33 PM »

I like the idea of embroidering pillow cases and such.  I need to finish/practice my embroidery for the craftalong, then maybe I'll make her one for Valentine's day.

Yes, the Dear Dorothy, Hate Oz is hilarious.  Unfortunately, she already has a shirt with it on!  Thankfully, she's not too much into dating yet (although anytime, eek!!), but I love the "I identify w/Dorothy" quote.  That was so me, in high school!

I didn't even think about going the book route.  I'll have to check the used book store and see if they have older copies of the book.  If I find a book, I'll have to decide if I should give it to her or make something for her with it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Keep 'em coming! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004 04:21:05 PM by 706Designs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonmaid
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005 11:55:04 AM »

another funny saying: "Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?"
you said she is not girly, so make red glittery chucks, striped leg warmers(cut the sleeves off a stiped sweater), and maybe on of those big hourglasses with the wooden frames,(like the wicked witch uses) only you can paint it to match her room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When life gives you lemons...throw them at people!"
"When life gives you lemons, hey, free lemons!"
"When life gives you lemon, make sour lemonade"
bawalters
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005 04:14:41 AM »

I like the idea of Red chucks, glittered up,
maybe stuff some straw (from a craft store) in the shoe tops and a henna kit with a heart pattern (or fake tatoo) tucked into one.

But what for the lion? Maybe you can find a award ribbon or make one specific to something she does well. Army Navy store would have something, or cardboard, paint and ribbon to make a badge of courage in <fill in a sport, activity, special event, something special to her>

Put it all in a picnic basket, or at least a basket, with a little black dog?

Top it all with a green helium balloon - she can talk squeaky all night.
If you have time I would paint the ropes on the inflated balloon and hang a cupcake papercup under it.

I have all the stuffed characters, but I don't know where they are from since they were a gift. Would it be a Disney store?
I used to have a outside doormat that just had the witches legs sticking out so it looked like my house had smooshed her.

Good luck in your gift decision, enjoy, Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaPrincapesaAlisia
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005 08:35:50 AM »

Well, this is a bit weird, but you could make a Princess Langwidere doll ( a character with a large collection of heads she switches at whim in Ozma of Oz) by beheading severals barbies and somehow making their heads re-attachable to one barbie's head-less neck. Give them makeovers, paint them, cut their hair, sew clothes, and present the whole set nice little display box. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Suigetsu from Naruto
How to Draw Bobby from King of the Hill
How to Draw Chibi Sakura Haruno from Naruto
How to Draw Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Blossom from the Powerpuff Girls
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...