A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,921
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby items for BF's Sister-in-Law?  (Read 1745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinapickles
« on: March 21, 2005 09:06:46 AM »

Hello...
my boyfriend of two years sister-in-law is having her second child in April.  I was originally going to make her a quilt, but I think i've run out of time--and one of the grandmas-to-be is crocheting a quilt so i didn't want to step on any toes either.

Any suggestions on what would be appropriate for me to make? 

Thanks for the help,
Tinapickles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it weren't for STRESS, I'd have no energy at all....
DukesBean
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005 10:29:21 AM »

you could laways crochet or knit a little sweater and bootie set. make it bigger though. the baby will be about 8-9 months in dec so use that for a asize refrence.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JaneJane
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005 01:24:35 PM »

Babies go through bibs, bibs are expensive to buy, and realtively quick and inexpensive to make.  The last set I made were made of white "shirting" material (reasonably thick and soft) which I edged in bias tape.  I stared with some purchased bias tape which was sold by the yard and on clearance.  I then switched to some that I made myself out of a sheet purchased at the second hand store in a light, dusty pink. I used poly cotton for the bias tape so that it could be washed in hot, bleached, dried on hot, and actually dried in a reasonable amount of time. I made a dozen new born (0-3 months) bibs.

I used an actual bib for my pattern.  I put the biased tape around the neck edge first.  Then, I used a single legnth of baised tape beginning from 12 inches beyond the bib on one end, around the outside of the bib, and extending 12 inches beyond the bib on the other end; most bibs have shorter tie strips but are a pain to actually get into a bow.  I tied a knot at the end of each tie strip.

If you want to do something quick but a little more elaborate, think about a car seat bunting.  The leg portions are a big, wide oval.  The big wide oveal opens up like a pair of overalls and ends in a set of straps that go over the shoulder front and back which are secured with velcro; I've also seen them secured with a 2" button and button hole.  In the center, towards the top of the big wide oval is a large button hole on both the front and the back pieces for the car seat belt to go through.  Sometimes us the center of the front peice is a zipper in which case the shoulder portions may or may have a seam in them or have a fastener. They tend to be made in fleece or pre-quilted material.

Lap pads in rubberized material are great too.  Often the purchased pads are a little small.  The material itself can be purchased at most fabric stores for between 9.99 nd 12.99 per yard.  I think it is only 36" wide though.  The beauty of this one is that all you need to do is measure and cut it.  A pinked edge is a nice touch.

Shoulder burb pads are nice, not too hard to make, and expensive to buy.  A number of the shoulder burp pads available for purchase are a double thickness of thick tee-shirt type material which means that it takes forever to dry.  A shoulder burb pad is a rectangle in which a curve is cut into one side so that it fits around the neck of the adult.  Some also have a curve cut into the shoulder edge so the at result almost looks like a fitted diaper.  Another problem with a number of the pruchased burb cloths is that for many, especially the dads, it is simply not long enough; if mom wears work, church, or elsewise "nice" clothing they are not long enough either.  I've made these a couple of times with various materials.  Again, the rubberized lap pad material is great.  Diaper material works well as does other similar feeling material.  I've also done them with the underside made out of felted, plastic table cloth material (plastic side in, felted side out).

I did this one for a baby shower:  You know how diaper bags turn into a big cavernous, mish mash of "stuff".  I did a number of zippered bags, snaped bags, and roll-up bags to put things into that go into the diaper bag.  Each was a different color - not for baby but for mom.           
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Julieko

Our newest member of the family..Jillibean

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005 06:22:30 PM »

If your mama has larger breast, I know from experience that when I breastfed I needed to prop my breast up so I didn't have to hold it so my baby could have a good latch,
so I was always taking a burp rag and rolling it up to place under my breast, then unrolling it again to burp my baby and so on and so on...

So one night I made a little pillow about 7 inches X 4 inches and filled it with polyfill and whaaa laaa...
a breast lift pillow.
I used 2.. one for the rocker and one for diaper bag.  I put it in the bottle holder because I didn't use bottles! Smiley

These take just a few minutes to make and are really low cost too!
I know this isn't a very big item, but these are REALLY usefull to a breastfeeding mama!
hope this helps,
Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.blueberrymama.etsy.com
Adorable baby and nursing mama stuff at a great price!
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005 06:50:14 PM »

If your mama has larger breast, I know from experience that when I breastfed I needed to prop my breast up so I didn't have to hold it so my baby could have a good latch,
so I was always taking a burp rag and rolling it up to place under my breast, then unrolling it again to burp my baby and so on and so on...

So one night I made a little pillow about 7 inches X 4 inches and filled it with polyfill and whaaa laaa...
a breast lift pillow.
I used 2.. one for the rocker and one for diaper bag.  I put it in the bottle holder because I didn't use bottles! Smiley

These take just a few minutes to make and are really low cost too!
I know this isn't a very big item, but these are REALLY usefull to a breastfeeding mama!
hope this helps,
Julie

Love the idea (and could certainly use one)! PLEASE post a pic or tute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
michaelasmom

Nobody is born a bigot..........

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005 11:11:07 AM »

After my nephew was born I made a smaller non-diaper bag for my sister.  She needed something that was a good size for quick trips across town that didn't require the full gear contained in the big diaper bag. 

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=15321.msg122770#msg122770
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look: Boyfriend Jeans from Day to Night
Twist on a Classic: Jeans and a Tee
Get the Look: Date Night Oufit 3 Ways
Get the Look: Maxi Dress From Day to Night
Get the Look: 3 Ways To Wear Leather Pants
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...