A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about getting guage & changing needle sizes  (Read 423 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2007 09:44:24 AM »

This has happened to me for several garment projects-

I can't get the gauge in the recommended yarn weight (too big) so i keep going down in needle sizes to get it. How many needles sizes down is too much?

for example, let's say i am swatching for a project that recommends #7's on a worsted weight yarn, my swatch is too big on 7, ,6, 5, and 4's which is my smallest needle size- What would be the best course of action?

1. continue swatching on smaller needles, 3, 2, until i get it (even though it's worsted weight) and then use that?

2. take my gauge from one of the larger needle sizes and try to do a couple less pattern repeats to make the garment smaller - AKA "get all mathy on the pattern's ass" ?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007 10:11:57 AM »

Are you using a similar yarn weight? If you are and going down 3 sizes doesn't get you close to gauge, then you'll need to do a different size. If you go down too far in your needles, you're apt to get a very stiff, dense fabric. So pick the needle size that gives you a knit that you like, check to see how many sts per inch you get, then multiply by how many sts you need. See if there's a size given (for sweaters and things) that has a similar number of sts and use those instructions. For scarves, wraps and blankets, yes, just CO less sts for the width you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
cranberry
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007 10:25:14 AM »

No 2 might be the case. Get mathy. Like, get your gauge swatch and calculator on.

It makes no sense you going down to 3's on a worsted weight, you won't get the drape and the material will feel like cardboard. Ask me how I know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007 03:07:46 PM »

yes, thank you both.

soozeq, i do use a yarn in the same weight, i wonder if i knit incredibly loose?
I will use your suggestion.

cranberry, that's what i was worried about, getting stiff fabric, thanks for the advice!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
redwitch
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007 05:29:06 PM »

Try knitting a wool that has st/rows per 10cm specified on the label. Do you get that tension with the specified needle size?

If you still have to go down 3 sizes below what the label says in order to get the label gauge, don't worry about stiff fabric: it's not the needle size but the size of your stitches you need to worry about, and you are aiming for what the label specifies. You are a very loose knitter.

If you do not have to go down 3 needles sizes, then you are doing something odd with your calculations and expecting to use a needle size that is smaller than what that wool requires, check with a knittiung mate or someone from your local wool shop that you are using the right size.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Orange Chicken
How to Make a Tempeh and Shiitake Mushroom Stir-Fry
How to Make Teriyaki Glazed Duck Breast
Curry Chicken with Apples and Pasta Recipe
How To Make Curry Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...