A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegetarian Thanksgiving Dinner  (Read 2478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 18, 2007 03:21:49 PM »

This year I am hosting my first thanksgiving dinner. it isn't going to be on thanksgiving because I know that people want to be with their families, I am probably going to have it the weekend before. I am going to invite vegetarian friends for a huge vegetarian feast. I have been veg for 15 years now and I have NEVER had a vegetarian thanksgiving- I am always just nibbling on side dishes while everyone else chows down.

I want to make little gifts for my friends to take home with them. I am asking everyone for a 10 dollar donation for a special thanksgiving surprise. The surprise is going to be the adoption of turkeys. (http://www.adoptaturkey.org/). For 20 dollars you can sponsor a turkey that will live out the rest of its life at farm sanctuary. I think everyone will be really stoked about it. There will probably be about 10-12 people in attendance so thats 100-120 dollars to donate. When the turkey is sponsored they send you a picture of the turkey and a little bit about its history. So we will adopt 5 or 6 turkeys. I am going to make copies of the pictures for everyone.

I want to have a little gift bag for everyone to take home with the turkey pictures and a few crafted items for everyone. I would love suggestions about what I could include in the gift bags.

<3thanks<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
crafty_rach
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007 09:08:56 AM »

Okay, this totally has nothing to do with what you asked, but I just HAD to say it ... forgive me.

When at Baskin Robbins, I love to flip through their ice cream cakes book ... and I always thought that one of the funniest cakes was the one shaped like a roast turkey ... I always wondered what on Earth anyone would need a ice cream roast turkey for ... but here is the perfect occasion ... a vegetarian Thanksgiving!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookem
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007 10:34:49 PM »

i'm so jealous- i'm the only vegetarian in my family... i know what you mean about having to eat side dishes. what a great idea to save some turkeys- what about making pot holders (many. many layers of cotton fabric, machine quilted with bias binding around the edge), turkey fridge magnets or jars of bird food/ bird feeders. or you can make up some jars of flavoured salt- its just flakes of sea salt, crushed pepper, herbs.
or is there some sort of autumnal plant that you could give to people in little pots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
schtankylu
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007 03:05:37 PM »

You could have everyone make a pop-up turkey card! They're really fun!
http://robertsabuda.com/popmake/popmake_turkey-step1.asp

Are you in need of any recipes? Thanksgiving is actually surprisingly easy to do a beautiful vegetarian spread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007 07:57:07 PM »

Kim O'Donnel is a veggie-friendly food writer for WashingtonPost.com.  She holds monthly live discussions on vegetarian cooking as well as a weekly general discussion where vegetarian questions are sometimes squeezed in.  The Web page with all her discussions is here

She also maintains a daily blog with recipes.  The recipe index for the blog is here.

You may also want to check the WP.com general recipe finder, which indexes all recipes in print from all writers.

And, if I may--I think you will get a better response to the donation if you announce it beforehand and not make it mandatory.  If I were being asked for money, I'd want to know where it was going, you know?

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tatatortuga
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007 05:45:02 PM »

There is a vegetarian turkey made from tofu called Tofurkey and it's actually shaped as a turkey. I've actually never tasted it, but one of my friends says its good. However I don't know if they have it in every supermarket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floridaflamingo
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007 12:45:01 PM »

They always do a great recipe/cover on Vegetarian Times. My family has made several them over the years. They are major and take the place of the centerpiece as the turkey often does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabid.dustbunny
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007 10:40:17 AM »

I've been a veggie for 26 years; Thanksgiving has not been a great holiday for me.  This year, I live too far away from my mother's to go for dinner, so I'm making my first TD dinner and I'm pretty excited about the challenge.  For once, I get to eat from the big kids table!
My main dish is going to be a lovely pumpkin, stuffed with dressing (veggie broth) and baked.  It sounds gorgeous, I hope it turns out!
Mashed yukon potatoes with carmelized shallots, Acorn squash filled with Brussels sprouts (this is an emperiment), homemade cranberry sauce. We're also having a pear and gorgonzola salad with home candied pecans, which I love.  I am cheating and buying a razzleberry pie from Marie Calendar's though.  I work tomorrow (Wednesday) and a girl's gotta know her limitations.
To drink - vodka cran/raspberry juice and martinelli's sparkling cider as a cocktail, the same, without vodka for my munchkin to drink; a nice local wine and champagne.
I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
*Oh, and no nasty black olives from a can!  No way.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007 10:41:17 AM by rabid.dustbunny » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground.
blue engine
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007 02:20:25 PM »

Wow it sounds like you are throwing a really great party. I am omnivorous and love traditional TD, but I can see how it would be a big drag for the vegetarian! Plus it's not like it's so hard to come up with perfectly delicious vegetarian dishes. Anyway, it sounds like you have all that under control.

For the gift bags, I suggest recipe cards---either of dishes you made or other dishes that would be nice for the holidays. And maybe some other festive food-themed things, like napkin rings (which you could make lots of different ways) or one of the recent hot projects was those little cheese picks made out of beads and turkey threaders (sorry I don't have the link). Thanksgiving or vegetarian themed stickers might be nice too....

I hope you post what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coffy or bouncy, it's all the same at the bottom of the river.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Random Little Things in Lightroom That Throw People Off
Everything You Wanted to Know About Photoshop Guides
Lightroom Tutorials: The Key Difference Between Cloning and Healing
Lightroom Tutorials: Editing a Beach Photo
Photoshop Tutorials: Stitching and Cleaning Up Panoramas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...