A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
801 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: alpacca spinning ?  (Read 926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Weddy_in_Paris
« on: October 18, 2007 02:21:27 PM »

I will have the opportunity to buy some raw alpacca wool on sunday at a yearly farmer market. But I must e-mail the lady if I want some, so she doesn't bring it if I don't. Iam very new at spinning, had my wheel last week and what I have spun until now is awful. As I am a bit cheap right now, I am wondering if it is sensible. Should I wait a bit ? If I buy some, which amount do I need to knit let's say a small scarf ? Thanks for your advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007 02:41:09 PM »

Oh, I love spinning alpaca!

The wonderful thing about buying raw alpaca fiber is that it needs minimal processing.  There is no lanolin like there is in sheep's wool, so you don't even have to wash it if you don't want to...unless it's full of vegetable matter, of course.  Wink

Alpaca fiber really isn't that difficult to spin, in my opinion.  It shouldn't cost much more than sheep's wool.  Since you're a new spinner, are you spinning pretty bulky?  If you want to have enough to knit a small scarf, I'd recommend at least 4 oz.  That should make a nice-sized skein.  Things to keep in mind:  Alpaca is seven times warmer than wool, and is three time stronger.  It has a lovely drape, but doesn't have the "memory" that wool has...it won't be as elastic. 

I say "Do it!" and have fun spinning a new fiber!   Cheesy 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007 02:42:29 PM by nicolassa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007 03:10:42 PM »

Alpaca is seven times warmer than wool, and is three time stronger. 
These are stats I understand !  Wink
Thanks Nicolassa ! I'm going to follow your advice ! And yes, I'm still spinning quite bulky and irregular but it tends to get better. I've been taking pottery course for 2 years and actually it helps me a lot. The process is the same : controling the speed of the wheel and working with both hands at the same time. The only difference is you don't have to make strengh by spinning ! I still remember how my poor harm muscles ached at the beginning... So I'm quite optimistic with my spinning, I'm sure it won't take me half as long as
centering a pound of clay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007 03:38:28 PM »

Oh, Weddy, I took a wheelthrowing class several years ago, so I TOTALLY understand what you mean!   Cheesy  Centering the clay was just a beast to master. 

You'll be spinning wonderfully in no time.  Just takes a little bit of practice...and it sounds like you're having fun with it, so that's a **great** thing!  You're right, the secret is all in finding the balance of what all your limbs need to be doing.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
theyellowhobbit
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007 08:31:39 PM »

Yay! I'm glad you're getting the alpaca (I just found this thread now.) You'll have so much fun spinning it. And I think it's easier to spin with nicer fibers. My wheel came with some icelandic wool, and I started with that and it was disastrous. Then I tried some nice merino, and it was much easier to spin. And alpaca is easier than merino. And if your yarn is uneven, it can just be a "thick & thin" yarn Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007 12:27:26 PM »

alpaca is my favorite fiber to spin! i bought a ton from a seller on ebay and i adored spinning it!
have fun!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts spring Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007 08:33:06 AM »

Alpaca & llama are wonderful to spin, but I like adding a bit of wool with it (at least 50%) so it has memory.

I crocheted a shawl with 100% alpaca.  It drapes wonderfully but keeps stretching and won't 'snap back'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007 10:58:32 AM »

Thanks for your advices ! I got my alpaca last week at a wool fair not very far where my parents live. I bought 2 packets of 500 g (1 lb) each, one is white alpaca, the other one grey. I am finishing my first almost decent spinning and I am wondering if my next try won't be with some alpaca. I only brought the white with me, because all this wool didn't fit in my suitcase to come back home by train. But my mom is visiting me at the end of the month, so she'll bring me the rest !
If I like spinning it, I guess it won't be long before I go to the farm to buy some more and see the alpacas ! The lady showed me some photos of her farm and her animals, mostly angora goats and alpacas, they are so cute !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007 12:46:38 AM »

having never worked with alpaca, i could not say for sure...
i am wondering, though, if one wanted pure alpaca without the stretch issues, if you could overspin it and then weight it while you set the twist to counteract the stretch-i-ness? any alpaca spinners who could shed light on that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007 11:33:19 AM »

I also love alpaca fiber. I have found it very easy to draft and usually the staple is pretty long. I agree that it doesn't have memory so I should think using it for like a simple stitch type scarf would be a yummy first project with it. I think you will be suprised at how easy it spins up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Robert Crais
Suzanne Guillette Reveals Who She Admires Most
Meet Author Phyllis Montana-Leblanc
Pathfinder Book Trailer
Lisa Jones Reads from Broken
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...