A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painting Ideas  (Read 671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

The Muffin
« on: September 03, 2007 10:28:32 AM »

Okay, so I really want to do -something- with my bedroom wall. All that's along it is the head of my bed(no head board) and my sewing table, which is nearly level with my bed. So from about 3 feet upwards, the wall is totally blank (well, I stuck a few drawings up and some sewing things, but that's beside the point). I think my ceilings are 8 feet tall.

I have no idea what to do though. My walls are lavender and all my bookshelves and my desk are white. I want some darker colors, dark purples and maybe a little grey or black.

I'm thinking some sort of pattern or stencil that I can repeat along the wall. Or maybe some simplistic mural type deal.

Something that's isolated to the one wall is fine, so is something that goes to the other walls. The wall to the left of my blank wall has my closet and the door to my room, and the other wall to the right has some windows. Oposite the wall I want to paint is covered with my desk and book shelves, so there's no space there.

I'm really open to any suggestions you all might have. Links to rooms, links to stencil sites, whatever. I just need help! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007 08:40:47 PM »

I painted butterflies on a wall once with cut out sponges, then hand painted the body and antenna, you could pick colors you want and its super easy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
purplexime
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007 12:35:14 PM »

Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirastorm
storms of creativity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007 02:12:21 PM »

i'm in the planning process for paining my bedroom, and i found a bunch of cool techniques.

mixing terra cotta emulsion 1/1 with water and  paint it over the walls roughly,

you can make your own 'wallpaper' borders using wrapping paper or patterned paper and using wallpaper glue and a clear sealant,

you can do wall tatoos, with text or images (this is what i'm planning on doing)

you can do stamping repeats in different shades

you can add silver, copper or gold leaf to your walls (this would look good in random squares or rectangles)

you can criss cross ribbon to create a harlequin pattern round the walls. use just need tacks and little gemstickers to cover the tacks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

living with an inferno doesn't mean it has to swallow you whole, you just have to know when to feed the flames.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=38663
The Muffin
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007 04:23:20 PM »

Ooh, I like the idea of making your own wall paper. Some of that handmade paper would look awesome or layers of tissue papers... Would it come off easily? I'm not sure if my parents would be too crazy about me covering my walls with something that wouldn't come off.

Criss crossing ribbons seems neat (and easy!) too!

I've seen on tv where they make a diamond pattern out of tape along the walls, then paint in each diamond. That would look neat, but be sort of boring. Adding ribbon where the tape was would be neat though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirastorm
storms of creativity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007 10:30:01 AM »

i'm not sure how easily the homemade wallpaper would com eoff. i imagine tissue would be a bitch to get off, but with the wallpaper removing solution and a scraper, you could probably do it easily.

you try pickin gup some scrap lumber, paint it with any left over wall paint, and then testing the the wall paper thoery on it. see how easy it is to put up, and to take off. i might actually give this one a go. so i'll post my results and let you know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

living with an inferno doesn't mean it has to swallow you whole, you just have to know when to feed the flames.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=38663
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with Perspective
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Straighten with the Measure Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Automate Crop and Straighten
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...