A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,084
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DATE BAG TUTE! (lots a pics!)  (Read 5012 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShannyAnn

please allow myself, to introduce myself

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2007 11:52:29 AM »

Last week I posted this purse:

A couple folks were asking for a pattern....since the pattern I made is very large, I made a JPEG that can be enlarged, printed, and cut to exact size. And I also included a tute in this post for all who are interested. (OH, THIS PATTERN IS FOR A SNAP CLOSURE, CUZ THE GUSSET WAS A B@#CH)
For reference, I'm calling this bag the "DATE BAG", since it's about the size you would probably take with you on a date to hold your important things....(visualize).....ok.
First, the pattern:(if there's a problem with this, let me know)
*All the pattern pieces include 1/2" seam allowance(except where noted)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/shannon_g_2000/tutorial/pattern.jpg

MATERIALS:  BODY12"x10"(2-outer fabric, 2-lining, 2-interfacing); INNER POCK.9.5"x7"(1-outer, 1-lining); OUTER POCK.5.5"x6.5"(1-outer, 1-lining); STRAPS1"x25"(2-interfacing) - 2"x25"(2-outer, 2-lining); 7" zipper; magnetic clasp.
*BASE is 12"x3"(x4 11/16"(4.688)). Be sure to cut fabric to 3.5" and 5 3/16"(5.188). The "base" is the black, curved bottom...if that makes sense.lol

OUTSIDE
1. Cut interfacing and fabrics to sizes and amounts needed.

2. I don't use fusible interfacing because it bubbles in humidity. So to keep my fabric from slipping I baste it(sew between the edge and seam allowance)

3. On the base, only baste the sides and bottom. Since the fabric should be cut to 3.5", fold over the 1/2" and pin to the interfacing. Place both bases to the side. DON'T SEW YET.

4. Next, take strap interfacing and lining(that should be 1" wider) and wrap lining around the interfacing. Pin down one side at a time.

Then, crease your outer fabric and pin down one side at a time.

When you have it pinned together, sew both sides of the strap. (remember, you want to sew somewhat close to the edge to make sure everything gets sewn in). Pin and sew other strap and put to the side.
5. Now, for the outer pocket. Place outer fabric and lining RIGHT SIDE OUT and sandwich zipper in between. Sew zipper on.

*Before the next step, I position everything out to mark where the pocket goes because the other side of the zipper will be sewn to the bag. You want the strap to overlay the pocket about a 1/4".
When you have marked where the pocket will be, pin down the zipper and sew to the body of the bag.

6. After the pocket is sewn on at the zipper, pin down one end of the strap on either side. *NOTICE-strap ends will NOT line up with the bottom of the pocket! So you may want to position the base just to visualize where your strap ends need to be(about and inch below the top of the base).

Sew strap, pocket side first. Sew until your about 2.5" from top of body, then sew across, and down other side of strap. Repeat on other side of pocket.
7. Since the pocket is deeper than where the base is sewn on, you need to sew the part where it crosses the pocket separately. Lay the base in position and mark with pins where you need to sew. Sew close to the top and about a quarter inch longer than the length of the pocket(I sew to the inside hemline in the strap.

8. After you sew section, pin down the base to the body of the bag.

Sew the top of the base to the body of the bag. *NOTICE-sew only to the hemline that you sewed earlier in front of the pocket. Repeat on other end of the base. Make sure to sew the same distance from the top of the base as you did the hem over the pocket.
9. Next, the pocket will still be loose from the base. Hand-sew the base to the front of the pocket.

10. Sew on strap and base to other body(making sure your strap aligns with the other strap on the pocket side of the purse. After both sides of the purse are sewn lay them WRONG SIDE OUT on top of one another and pin down.
*This photo is showing the side WITHOUT the pocket so the base is sewn completely across the top.

Sew the sides and bottom together.
11. When finished sewing, fold over so the bottom corners of the bag come together and form a triangle.

About an 1 1/2" down from the tip of the "triangle", mark where you will sew. Do this to both tips(making sure the tips and lines you draw align)
The bag is thick enough that you won't have to pin it, just make sure the "triangle" does not unfold.
Sew across the line that was drawn on each side. When you have sewn it, cut the tip off (this is optional, but makes the bottom less bulky).
12. Turn your bag right side out and poke a pencil or scissors into the corners that you just sewed to get a nice, sharp corner.

INSIDE
13. To make the inner pocket, position the outer fabric and lining WRONG SIDE OUT and sew sides and bottom. Turn RIGHT SIDE OUT. Fold unsewn top inside and sew the top closed.
14. Center pocket on body lining, pin down and sew sides and bottom.

15. Position both lining pieces WRONG SIDE OUT and pin together. Sew sides and bottom.
FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS IN STEP 11. FOR SQUARE BOTTOM CORNERS. *MAKE SURE THEY ARE SAME SIZE AS OUTSIDE CORNERS.

FINISH
16. Place lining inside bag, fold seam allowance at top and pin the tops of lining and outer fabric/interfacing together.
17. Mark the spot where you want the magnetic clasp to go.*Follow directions on clasp package to install it). Only unpin the part you need open to install the clasp.
18. Sew the top together.

VIOLA, YOUR DONE! Hope you understood all this. lol

my happy little 3yr old. she wanted to model it so bad.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have O.C.D. - Obsessive Craftster Disorder!
www.shannyann.etsy.com
MissColee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Cakewrecks made me famous! http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/this-is-how-you-show-hungry-whos-boss.html

why is the rum always gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007 11:58:25 AM »

oh I LOOOVE it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Born2bWild
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007 12:42:49 PM »

Thank you so much for the tute! I wanted to ask for one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananafox

Newbie Seamstress

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007 01:14:16 PM »

OMG! I made myself a purse out of that exact same fabric! I LOVE IT. XD Of course I made mine a big every-day bag and it doesn't look nearly as nice as yours.
Great tut, I'm going to have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning, and is refreshed." - Kahlil Gibran
OnePinkHippo
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007 03:32:27 PM »

I like. I am bookmarking this to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenxxxdee
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007 08:19:11 PM »

awesome!  thanks so much for sharing and taking the time to do all this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dragonslair
Crafting another baby...... Due Jan. 6th, 2011

Goth and loving it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007 07:33:52 AM »

Excuse me for asking but the outer pocket has a 7" Zipper and we cut the pocket 5.5" x 6.5" ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WILL SWAP for CLOTH diapers.........

MY LJ
http://crochet-crazy.livejournal.com

My wists
www.wists.com/dragonslair
Llola
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007 08:47:49 AM »

That is such a cute bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShannyAnn

please allow myself, to introduce myself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007 09:31:25 AM »

I knew I forgot something. Yes, the pocket is 5.5"x6.5". After I sew the zipper to the pocket, I clip the zipper to size (5.5"). Before I sew it onto the body though, I sew along the end I just clipped because many times I have unzipped the zipper pull right off and had to start over. Angry lol

Thank you for bringing that up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have O.C.D. - Obsessive Craftster Disorder!
www.shannyann.etsy.com
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007 01:04:30 PM »

What a great bag and a great tut!  I just bookmarked it to give it a go.  Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Accessory Trend: Hair Jewels
Why NYC Women Love Platinum Seamless Hair Extensions
Figuring Out What Styles Work for Each Face Shape
How To Do Three Easy Hair Styles With Oscar Blandi Styling Pin
Behind the Scenes With Indique Hair Boutique
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...