A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to change pattern for bigger needles.  (Read 410 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ducky2010
« on: October 22, 2007 09:08:10 PM »

I tried. I really did. I tried searching for the answers but I can't seem to figure out the right words to search.  Tongue Soooo, here goes.

I want to make some fingerless gloves for my boyfriend. I know, not always the best of ideas, but we've been together a while so hopefully the curse won't set in.  Wink Anyway, I was thinking of making this except with half fingers all around, but he wants them to be a bit lighter so he can wear them under things. Yes, I know, I don't understand why I'm going to go to the effort of making him something to be worn UNDER something else either, other than it should be relatively quick knitting.

So my question is that I would like to change the pattern to size seven or eight needles. What sort of math do I need to get the same size gloves?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

penguino
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007 09:20:24 PM »

Just curious, why are u changing to #7 or #8 needle?  Are u changing the weight of the yarn too?

Ideally u just figure out the gauge with the different needle and yarn.   For example the pattern gauge is 25 sts/32 rows = 4 inches and your swatch says 20 st/ 20 rows = 4 inches.  To determine CO of the small size:  36/(25/4)*(20/4)=28.8 s (do 28s since it is 2x2 rib).  And u will need to do that for the entire pattern.

It is pretty easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007 09:38:39 PM »

Another way to do it with larger needles would be to make the smaller size; you'd still have to figure out your sts/inch and how many inches you want - then follow the size that's closest in the number of sts. Size 5 are pretty small, I don't blame you for wanting to use larger ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Ducky2010
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007 10:43:54 AM »

Thanks guys! I'm going to try to work it out tonight. If I can't get it to work I'll be back!

Oh, I'm not changing the weight of the yarn. The objective was to make the gloves thinner. He wants to wear them under some ski gloves, so they can't be too bulky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy an Engagement Ring - Part 3
Audio Technica AT2020 Microphone Review
Platinum Advice - How to Assess the Value of Your Ring
How to Make Necklaces
How to Make Hemp Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...