A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 306,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Backpack/Shoulder bag !Now with handy video!  (Read 7620 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

madfishmonger
Mongering your fishes since 1999

Fish in a jester hat

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2007 06:33:04 AM »

The bags I've been using are the experimental first ones, and the other night when I got home from work, my bag fell apart. I couldn't put off making myself one any longer, so here it is.

I needed a bag I could put on my back as I bike to work, but also one that was comfortable and convenient to wear, because I have to drag it around with me all day at work.
So here it is as a backpack:

Modeled by my lovely roommate.

And thanks to this loop in the back (which went on crooked but I had no time to change but you can't really see it anyway)

and these D-rings on the side (you can kind of see the seam binding I used inside),

it turns into this:

This is the clasp inside. The loop is made of the seam binding. The colours are a little richer in real life, but the camera picks up the texture a lot more. The green is more of an army green.

Here are the applique. I was given a roll of this glue paper called Heat n' Bond or some such thing, and finally put it to use. I don't know how long it'll last, we'll see.

I traced the shapes from some cookie/fruit cutters I have. The adorable bird on the mushroom is from the Nokonoko Flower fabric I've been obsessed with lately. As I am working with teenagers, I know they won't be able to separate painfully cute Japanese birds from the obvious drug reference. As that's not an image I want to project, I restrained from using it as the lining of the bag (though I've been wanting to use this spotted stuff forever), but I couldn't resist putting it on there somewhere. </end ramble>

Thanks for looking Smiley
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008 01:09:07 PM by madfishmonger » THIS ROCKS   Logged

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.
-Oscar Wilde
woobie
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007 06:36:51 AM »

Really cute.. and very practical. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**mandie**
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007 07:11:30 AM »

Very cute! I love heat n bond... if you want it to last longer you could always stitch around the stars.    I love the choice of fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retta
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007 04:57:13 PM »

That is really neat. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madfishmonger

Fish in a jester hat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007 06:53:42 PM »

Thanks Smiley It's all vintage fabrics. I'm enjoying the heat-n-bond, so many ideas now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Oscar Wilde
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007 07:40:05 AM »

I needed a bag I could put on my back as I bike to work, but also one that was comfortable and convenient to wear, because I have to drag it around with me all day at work.
So here it is as a backpack:

And thanks to this loop in the back (which went on crooked but I had no time to change but you can't really see it anyway)
and these D-rings on the side (you can kind of see the seam binding I used inside),

it turns into this (shoulder bag):

Ok, I know I'm being really dense, but I don't get how the straps convert? Do they unsnap/resnap (which I understand) or something else (I think that's what the loop & D rings are for)? Huh 

I *really* like the bag, and I'd like to try making one, but I just don't get the straps from the pics. Thanks so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Llola
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007 09:39:12 AM »

Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007 08:27:20 AM »

I really liked this!  I've been wanting to make a backpack for the longest time.  Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
madfishmonger

Fish in a jester hat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007 11:26:15 AM »

Thank you, I'm glad to be a source of inspiration. How does it convert? I should make a little video lol. It's quite easy, the d-rings hold the strap in place. The strap is sewn down on one side, and hooked through the d-rings on the other (like a belt). If you want it to be a backpack, you remove it from the d-rings and run it through the loop, then back into the d-rings again. It makes much more sense if you can see it being done, I actually will try and make a little video of it, just for the sake of clarity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Oscar Wilde
BettyBravo
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007 11:29:07 AM »

very cute!!! I love the star appliques!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you've lost your ticket to paradise, make sure you have money for the bus" -Pokey Lafarge
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mixed Media Fun
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...