A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,118
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Long Is Too Long and How Polite Does One Need to Be?  (Read 1062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2004 08:49:44 AM »

I special ordered a ton of Rowan Big Wool skeins from a newer lys the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  The owner told me she could get the yarn really fast.........so here we are weeks later and still no yarn.

I wouldn't mind as much except that the owner doesn't seem concerned or apologetic (maybe too strong a word).  The lys is 45 minutes from my house, so if I am going to be over there and call she sounds annoyed that I am checking.  This has been a whopping two times since I ordered the yarn.  She keeps saying she doesn't know why its taking son long but she'll call when it gets here.  I feel as if to say don;t call me I'll call you.

I am very upset and seriously considering never shopping at the lys again.  The wait is one thing but the poor customer service is another.  This is the newest lys in town and carries fancy yarns.......I am constantly beng asked about it but sadly I have nothing nice to say.  I usually tell people they have lovely yarns but that I have been disappointed with the sevice but encuorage them to decide for themselves

Not to make this too long but the day I shopped I brought my SnB Nation, which she didn't have and she asked to look at it, ignored me to look throught the book and copied patterns out of it for project based classes she plans to teach.  I felt that was very rude! 

Am I being too harsh?HuhHuh?       
THIS ROCKS   Logged

706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004 09:01:46 AM »

No, Boo, I don't think you are being harsh at all!! 

First off, she should not be copying from SNB or any book, nor should she be teaching a class from a pattern in the book, unless she has the ok from the author/publisher.  I am teaching beading classes next year and the patterns have to be 100% my own (which they are).  She can suggest her students to purchase the book, thats it.

Like a lot of creative people (don't mean to step on toes here) she is probably disorganized in general.  As a new shop owner, maybe she has over extended her purchases and is trying to cover up that she hasn't ordered the yarn yet (or maybe not).  Either way, it doesn't excuse poor customer service.

If you didn't pre-pay for your yarn, I would suggest not shopping there for the next three to six months, and then check to see if her customer service has improved.

Just my two cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004 09:10:35 AM »

Thanks 706!!  I know I can be a bit demanding but I am also very understanding of the challenges of working in retail.  The other lys's in town have always treated me wonderfully.  But this was a different experience all together.  And she was not shy about me pre-paying or the yarn which I gladly did.  Nonetheless, I feel very tempted to politely tell her when I pick up my yarn that I have been very disatisifed and why.  I have never been so openly treated like a walking wallet before.   

She was openly talking about the class she is planning on doing (it is the initial purse) and what she plans to charge for it in front of me and my mother. She was so busy planning the class that she was ignoring questions and leaving her one employee to help my mother, another customer and myself.  She did however maker herself available to ring us up. 

Her employee (that is what she referred to her as) is her best asset, she was helpful and very kind.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

homegirleh

this is not a llamatization!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004 09:11:17 AM »

Yes, as 706 said, if you haven't already paid for the yarn, then just let it go and shop somewhere else for a while. If she is making a poor decision and that makes her lose business, that is her own fault.

However, if you paid for the yarn already, look to see if there were any "Terms and Conditions" type things for the order regarding the service-- how long it would take for your order to get to you and all of this. If there were and she is not fulfilling what the order said, then take it up with the BBB. If she has no guidelines for her orders, well, she should. You shouldn't be expected to just wait around forever with no yarn if you paid for it.

Ask her if she has tried contacting the company recently. This is YOUR yarn, she and her store are doing a service to you, and sometimes you have to be not-so-nice about it...some people just don't get it when you're totally polite.

Its definitely not good-- in fact, its a crime-- for her to copy those patterns! She sounds like...she doesnt have a very good idea of doing business. If she asks you again to see books or patterns, be firm! That's beyond your problem, its infringing on someone else's livelyhood!
I'm sorry you had to deal with this, its unfortunate to say the least. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004 01:12:45 PM »

If you really want done with this woman, why not try and get a refund or exhange in the amount you already have given her. I know it's not THE yarn you wanted, but then at least it would be over. Perhaps tell her that your friends have been asking about her new store and well, you just tell them about your experience there and you really wish you could tell them how wonderful the store and service are but right now you....well you get the drift (not a threat, but let it be known).

Have you looked online for the yarn you ordered? Maybe you could find it somewhere else?

Don't understand people who open small/local type shops and then treat the customers like crap.

Good luck! Hope this wasn't for a Christmas project. Undecided

regards,
scribe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004 03:25:25 PM »

It was made very clear to me that there were no refunds for special orders.  Although, she later told me that she was planning to order that yarn anyway. 

I really just wanted to know if my building resentment was me being too demanding or was it justified.  I am feeling like I am not too off the mark with my displeasure with this yarn shop.  Nonetheless, if this order takes more than a month, I am plan to demand a refund.  Afterall, I ordered the same yarn to make a matching hat and already got it and completed the hat.  So I am not too far out of line.   

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004 03:37:14 PM »

Don't suppose you used a credit card? You could get them to stop payment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004 08:08:44 AM »

I think now that I have had the chance to vent I should just let it go.  And of course not shop there in the future. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004 08:41:25 PM »

She won't refund the money, even though she (and you!) hasn't received the yarn? That just seems sketchy to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004 08:55:22 PM »

yeah, I'd not shop there again, and just keep calling.  When you finally do get the yarn, I think you should tell her how unprofessional she is, and that you didn't like her lack of customer service. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How to Make Sweet Potato Puree for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Make Lamb Chop Marinade for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Make Goat Cheese and Strawberries Salad for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Make Shrimp Scampi for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Prepare a Romantic Dinner for Two
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...