A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby Sling?  (Read 1238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tree.hugger.chick
« on: October 15, 2007 07:07:10 PM »

So I was looking at ring slings online, and they didn't look too difficult to make. Anyone made one? Or if anyone's owned one, is there anything extra on the inside to help keep baby in? Or is it just the one piece of fabric? Some of this stuff is difficult to tell from the advertiser's pictures.

I would normally just wing it, but I don't want to screw it up and end up dropping my baby! *lol*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aimerette
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007 07:23:24 PM »

I have only made pouch slings so far..but a ring sling is next on my list.  Check out these sites they are extremely helpful.  The Babywearer forum has a DIY section where you can find lots of help and the other site has lots of sling patterns and instructions.

www.thebabywearer.com
www.sleepingbaby.net/jan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AutoXchick
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007 07:32:04 PM »

I made one a couple of weeks ago using the directions from the sleeping baby site she listed up above^^^  It was really easy, and came out gorgeously. Just double stitch all your seams, I tripled stitched the seams, just to be sure. ALso, do NOT use cheap rings! I can't stress it enough. Do NOT use craft-store rings, or belt loops, or anything like that. I bought large-sized aluminum rings from http://www.slingrings.com/ and they come in all sorts of pretty colors and are tested to be strong enough to carry the weight they need to support.

Here's the sling I made:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CeraMom
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007 05:56:49 PM »

You must must must use slingrings. I found an old sling on freecycle and just cannabalized the rings. A ring sling was my first project on my sewing machine!

FWIW, you can use home hardware rings that are weight tested but they are very heavy, a little small,and may contain rough spots.

HTH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katmiller79
Peanut Butter Queen

*Mommy is the Peanut Butter Queen*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007 05:35:58 PM »

Check out local hardware stores or feed stores for large sturdy rings for ring slings too Smiley kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to 4 Kidlets !
chunkofbutter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007 05:25:25 AM »

Go to   www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index 
She has several sling patterns with great folds for the ring stiching. Several other good ideas as well.Her name is Jan Andrea.   Also mayawrap.com has good ideas .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahtar
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007 05:38:02 PM »

I honestly would only ever use rings from slingrings.com  There have been SO many problems with people using rings manufactured for other purposes pulling apart or slipping through. It's not that there aren't other (very heavy and metal) rings that will work, but the problem is that many people don't know what's good and bad when shopping for rings for a ring sling. The rings from slingrings are a bit more expensive, but I think a few bucks are worth the safety factor, particularly when talking about a baby.

Just my two cents, as someone who has absolutely nothing to gain from you buying rings from slingrings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallypop, Affordable cloth diapers, slings, & other products for natural families.
Boulevard Designs, My Etsy shop
One Crafty Girl, My Blog about crafting
twylag
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007 07:51:05 AM »

almost five years ago I saw them on the internet when I was looking for baby-carriers and winged it.  one long piece of fabric, fan-folded and sewed to two sturdy rings from a hardware store.  It worked great then and it still works great, not that I would use it on my 4yo or anything, but I did carry her around in it til she was well over a year old.  Best five bucks I ever spent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Paleo Stuffed Peppers
Perfect Tailgate Foods: Healthy Sausage Options
Favorite Game Day Treats Under 300 Calories
How to Make a Breakfast Burger
Dry Rubbed Smoked BBQ Ribs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...