A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anthropologie is a total rip-off!  (Read 1633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bluesmom

See my work on Ravelry: ILoveMath.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2007 05:50:05 PM »

I'm sorry, people just need to learn how to knit:

1=&color=mul" target="_blank">http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=7182729654029026193&id=71614&parentid=APP_SWEATERS_PULLOVERS&pushId=APP_SWEATERS_PULLOVERS&popId=APP_SWEATERS&sortProperties=%2BmarketingPriority%2C-saleDate&navCount=7&navAction=poppushpush&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize 1=&color=mul

Anthropologie even refers you to the pattern (that we've all seen before here on Craftster) from Twinkle's Big City Knits!

$228?!

Sorry, I just had to use some exclamation points when I saw this on their website.  Don't you love knowing that you can make this for a fraction of the price...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebluegirl
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007 06:09:32 PM »

It wouldn't let me see the price, but of course I take your word for it. Even with the US to UK conversion rate that's bloody expensive.  Sad thing is, there are people willing to pay that amount...I'd MUCH rather knit something for someone, or, even better ( Cheesy) have someone hand knit something for me than spend a LOT of money on something.  Time and effort is much more meaningful than just opening your wallet and doling out the cash (if you HAVE that kind of cash, that is!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geebeekay
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007 06:29:25 PM »

I received an email from them this afternoon about that as well!

I never buy knitted or crocheted items because I think I can make them for a fraction of the cost, but most of the time, I never get around to it.  Roll Eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged

smrjunior
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007 06:30:43 PM »

actually, the sad part is that if you bought all seven colors of soft chunky at $17 a skein, plus the $30 book, and if you paid yourself minimum wage for the time investment, you'd probably about break even vs. buying it at anthropologie.  granted, you'd have plenty left over to make a second tunic (which you could sell!) and you'd still have the book with all the patterns, but still.

now I know anthro. isn't buying the book each time they make the sweater and I'm sure they're getting a steep discount on the yarn.  I'm not suggesting that it's a reasonable price for them to ask, I'm just suggesting that if you wanted that exact sweater, it'd "cost" you (in time and money) almost as much either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
infantkittensyringe
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007 07:50:27 PM »

1. If the sweater was knit BY HAND it would be worth twice as much. C'mon, knitters! Value what you do - it is work and it takes skill. (Although the patterns from Big City Knits don't take that much skill...)
2. Anthropologie should be forced by law to sell patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007 07:57:40 PM »

I'm not suggesting that it's a reasonable price for them to ask, I'm just suggesting that if you wanted that exact sweater, it'd "cost" you (in time and money) almost as much either way.

I got to hear Stephanie Pearl-McPhee speak (which was cool!) and she said something really interesting:  50 years ago, people thought it was wasteful to buy something that you could make yourself.  Now, we feel like it's wasteful to make something when you could buy the same thing.

Just an interesting philosophical point I've been pondering ....  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kokeshi
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007 08:41:02 PM »

With second-hand yarn, you could make it for next to nothing, I should think.

By the way, it's cute but isn't it kind of bulky? (ponders how it would look on a real body....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007 09:44:17 PM »

By the way, it's cute but isn't it kind of bulky? (ponders how it would look on a real body....)

In the book, everything is shown on people. Smiley  You can probably find examples in her gallery. http://www.twinklebywenlan.com/twinkle.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brief
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007 04:37:57 AM »

I'm with infantkittensyringe on this. Put it this way: if you're to knit this sweater on a commercial basis, how much would *you* charge for your time and skill?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cdngreenie
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007 07:40:18 AM »

Personally, I love how, despite the Canadian dollar being even (and I still can't justify spending $200  (heck, $100) for a sweater) with the American dollar, we have to spend $30 more for all the customs and duty fees... forget shipping.  And apparently shipping prices to Canada from America has gone through the roof since our dollar reached parity.  Anthropologie is a great place to get ideas and dream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeanius - Chioma Nnadi on White Jeans
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Baseball Jacket
Vintage Bowles - Shopping at Didier Ludot in Paris
Jeanius - Selby Drummond on Ripped Jeans
Met Gala - The 2013 Met Gala Red Carpet Livestream
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...