A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best wool for making a calorimetry  (Read 601 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nirauan
« on: October 15, 2007 11:59:22 AM »

so this winter is the winter i will learn to knit properly. i have decided to try and make a knitty calorimetry, i know how to cast on and off and basic knit stitch so i have made scarves before but i get terribly bored with them. i can understand instructions pretty well and can learn the stuff i dont know from online tutes but at the moment im completely clueless as to what kind of wool i should use. i live in the uk and im on a budget. the shop whre i buy my fabric from definately sells sidar so i can get hold of that? my work mates wife spins and dyes her own merino wool would that be suitable? help please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007 12:14:55 PM »

Either the handspun & dyed merino or Sirdar should be fine. Smiley  FYI, handspun/dyed yarns are usually more expensive.  I hope you find a deal somewhere!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nirauan
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007 02:13:26 PM »

hi, im hoping to get a little discount from the seller of the handsun because i know her husband (cheeky i know!), i might see if i can get some cheap wool and do a practice through Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittheory
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007 05:28:32 PM »

In my opinion the calorimetry's really flexible - it's so small and since it's worn on the head there's not a lot of wear and tear to consider - I'd say go with a yarn that's worsted or a little heavier than worsted (so that the size works out near to the pattern), that's somewhat soft so your ears won't itch, and in a color you like.  Other than that, I'd say just go for whatever catches your eye at the yarn store or online, it'll turn out awesome!

I used bright blue Malabrigo I had just sitting there that I didn't know what to do with, and I love mine!  It turned out a little big, but since you can use any of the holes created by the short rows as buttonholes it's pretty adjustable.  I think it's such a great small instant-gratificationy project, and a really easy way to start losing the fear of short rows  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trisarahtop
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007 01:22:01 AM »

You can really use pretty much anything (I've made several Calorimetries, using different wools, as well as cotton). I like merino wool the best, because it isn't itchy, but really anything except an acrylic yarn should work. Maybe not silk. Those can both make your hair crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
nirauan
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007 10:37:37 AM »

ummmm what does worsted mean? (apologies for my ignorance of knitting terminology)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittheory
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007 07:44:12 PM »

ummmm what does worsted mean? (apologies for my ignorance of knitting terminology)

It's the weight of the yarn (like its size).  Worsted weight yarn is kinda the 'normal' weight yarn, usually knit using around size 7 needles.   'Sport', 'DK', 'Bulky', 'Chunky' are all words for different weights as well (sport is skinny, and chunky is well... chunky!). Pretty much any yarn you buy will have the weight printed on the band, and if you can't find it you should totally ask the yarn store people to help, they will be glad to  Smiley  If you're buying online the yarn weight should be listed right there on the buying page. 

Have fun with the calorimetry!  It's an awesome short project (so none of that getting bored)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Henna Heads: Hair Loss Sufferers Get Beautiful Head Crowns
Naked Contortionist Models Transformed Into Animals By Body Paint
Art of VIBE: Pete McKee Animates London
Art of VIBE: Michalopoulos Channels New Orleans & Music In His Art
11-Year-Old To Credit For Gorgeous Animated Google Doodle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...