A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 315,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How crazy would I have to be...  (Read 767 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Flying Betty
« on: October 15, 2007 11:00:11 PM »

to attempt to knit one of these with my very very basic knitting skills?

I've never done anything beyond knit some, purl some, YO some, but I yearn for this shawl with all of my nerdy, dragon-loving soul. Is it something even remotely possible for me to do without screwing it up big time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007 11:50:15 PM »

Dragons are nerdy? Hmmmm...

Anyhooooo ... all that is is knit and purl and yarn overs and so you could do it - the trick is, however, to get the dragon charted. You could scan a picture of a dragon and chart that and then plump it into a regular triangular shawl pattern (where increases are on the sides not the middle). Should work.

There are no fancy stitches, really, I don't think. However, having said that, I do think it would be easier for me to figure out how to do in crochet since it looks so much like filet crochet! For knitting, I'm trying to think - probably a knit stitch would be the solid part and yarn over coupled with k2tog would be the open work?

I'm sure there are better minds than mine to work on this for you ... let them all wake up first, since they're probably asleep by now (I'm in Thailand so it doesn't count).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007 02:16:49 AM »

to attempt to knit one of these with my very very basic knitting skills?

I've never done anything beyond knit some, purl some, YO some, but I yearn for this shawl with all of my nerdy, dragon-loving soul. Is it something even remotely possible for me to do without screwing it up big time?

You'd have to peruse the blogs. I do remember experienced knitters giving a warning about Here Be Dragons with good reason: the pattern wasn't easy to memorise in terms of repeats if I remember correctly.

But really, if you want to do it, and you're up for it, why not? I'd advise a definate swatch tasting (read, loads and loads of swatches) to see what the pattern is like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007 03:18:39 AM »

For a pattern like that, you can totally do it, but you will almost certainly give up if you launch straight into it without having practice at lace. I found lace very easy to pick up so don't despair but I do recommend that you do some other lace first, and don't even attempt that dragon thing until you are able to read your knitting, replace lace on a needle from a lifeline etc. It's not as hard as it seems, when you start off with something tricky try it in thicker wool and needles as well until you are comfortable with it. But some harder lace is necessary I think before you will enjoy knitting something like that.

If you don't want to spend that kind of time, do a few repeats of Eunny's Print of the Wave shawl or something of similar complexity until you are comfortable with it, even if you don't want to keep it, unravel the wool later. then have a go at the dragon shawl. If you find it too challenging, do some more lace until you are capable of the shawl, it really won't take long!

Sorry to be a downer, I know people like to encourage others to try things that look hard but at the same time I would not start out someone on this who has not done lace before (I don't think that eyelet rows and basic yo patterns are quite enough to make this pattern easy).

Or just buy the pattern and start knitting it as soon as you feel able!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007 10:18:44 AM »

I have the pattern. It is NOT just purls, knits, and yarn overs.

It is a very difficult pattern with some specialty stitches many people would not encounter elsewhere and a HUGE (multiple page) chart that some people have found hard to follow because it doesn't really have any "repeats" except for the background stitch.

There is a knitalong on yahoo for this.  When Sharon Winsauer calls a pattern experienced, she means business.

Definitely learn to use a lifeline (click, scroll down, under fixing mistakes) with lace, especially this shawl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clicksticks
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007 10:33:37 AM »

I think I would probably try to work up to it a bit--it's definitely a challenging pattern!  That said, I think "can I do this?" also depends somewhat on personality and how badly you want the FO.  If you are a really patient person who is okay with the fact that this shawl will probably take you a loooooooooong time to finish, you might very well be able to pull it off.  I think the problem between "hard" patterns/less experienced knitters is often a sense of unrealistic expectations, i.e. "I want to make gorgeous Aran sweaters, IN A WEEKEND!!"  Well, of *course* you aren't going to be able to do that (you probably aren't ever going to be able to do that).  If you have more reasonable expectations and an understanding that stuff just takes a while to make, I think you are less likely to get frustrated and give up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.
Riki
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007 05:27:53 PM »

I have the pattern. It is NOT just purls, knits, and yarn overs.

It is a very difficult pattern with some specialty stitches many people would not encounter elsewhere and a HUGE (multiple page) chart that some people have found hard to follow because it doesn't really have any "repeats" except for the background stitch.

Thanks ... I didn't realize there was actually a pattern out there for it, looked like it was just something for sale. I know in crochet it would be a fairly simple filet pattern (but tedious), and really had no idea how it could be adequately portrayed in knitting, only that the thing SAID it was knitted! So a BIG thanks on the further info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Crossing the Line Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Monkey Puzzle Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Paintings on Paper by Carolyn Oberst
Sock Dolls Embrace Painting by Carolyn Oberst
The Frog Prince Pines for Love Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...