A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you think about Woolee Winders?  (Read 634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Skeffto
« on: October 15, 2007 03:10:26 AM »

Hello!  I'm fairly new to spinning but I saw something about Woolee Winders in a book and wondered what you all thought about them, whether many people had them, how they got on with them etc?

It looks like they make life easier when spinning (by feeding on the yarn automatically and evenly) but I'd also heard that they can make your wheel less responsive and harder to treadle.  Any information or advice would be much appreciated!

I've been lurking around here for a while getting lots of great advice and inspiration from everyone.  Can't wait to spin something worthy of Fibre Friday!

Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out http://skeffto.blogspot.com/ ...my fibre-filled blog!

and my Flickr photos... http://www.flickr.com/photos/skeffto/
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007 05:46:36 AM »

I don't have one of my own, but I've spun on wheels with them.  They're nice, but like all 'technology' they have their glitches.  The main reason I haven't bought one is that they're not cheap and you have to buy their bobbins, and I'm able to pack a bobbin fairly well, so I don't feel the absolute need to buy one.  I've also known some people who don't like to ply with them.  If you can get to a fiber festival there are usually people there with wheels and woollee winders and they'd probably let you try them.  You really need to judge for yourself.  But if your a new spinner, I probably wouldn't get one right away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
boulderbliss
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007 01:59:17 PM »

I own one and wouldn't trade it for the world.  I use it on my Lendrum DT folding wheel and it allows me to spin without interruption, pack more on a bobbin, and not have the yarn get tangled on hooks and such.  I purchased one when I was a fairly new spinner because I knew what I wanted, which was faster production.  I did a lot of research on it before purchasing, and purchased without actually trying it.  I first purchased one with 3 bobbins and just recently purchased 2 more bobbins, so 5 total.  It's a bit of an investment, but totally worth it and has a high resale value if you ever decide to part with it.

oh, and it does not make my wheel harder to treadle nor less responsive.  And I ALWAYS ply with it.  I simply LOVE it!

Just my 2 cents.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007 02:01:07 PM by boulderbliss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skeffto
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007 12:20:42 PM »

Thanks for your help and advice!  I knew that someone on Craftster would have some useful information  Grin

I think I'll try to have a go with a Woolee Winder myself at the next wool festival I get to and just try to get better at winding even bobbins in the meantime  Roll Eyes

Thanks for taking the time to help!
Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out http://skeffto.blogspot.com/ ...my fibre-filled blog!

and my Flickr photos... http://www.flickr.com/photos/skeffto/
askthebellwether
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007 11:15:01 PM »

I love mine -- took me years to finally get one, as they are pricey, but now I wished I'd gone ahead and gotten it up front.

Re their being not so great for plying -- at high speeds on my Majacraft Suzie and on my electric spinner, the woolee winder can't keep up -- on the Suzie, the bands on the wheel start to slip (this is with the accelerator head set at highest speed, 30+:1), and on the electric spinner, the WW won't draw in no matter how tight I set the tension.  So I slow down a little -- still faster than I'd be if I had to stop and change hooks to get the bobbin wound nicely.

I had one for a while on my Schacht and it didn't seem to want to draw in, so I took it apart and cleaned it, and it worked like a charm after that. Some fluff had gotten into the track the winder uses, gumming up the works. They come with detailed instructions on how to do the cleaning.

Oh, if you want another draw-back -- with the WW, you can't set your wheel to let you pull the fiber back out; it doesn't want to reverse.  I don't see this as a lack or a flaw, it's just that I often set my tension to allow me to pull back out a'la Mabel Ross. Instead, I fiddle the tension with my WWs so it just draws in -- any looser, and it won't draw in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007 12:04:08 PM »

I'm holding off getting one.  I have plenty of extra bobbins for my Traveller and Traddy and don't mind moving the yarn over the hecks.

Although ... if one showed up in my Christmas stocking with extra bobbins, I wouldn't give it back
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Baby-Proof Photo Ring
How to Make Handmade Dolls
How to Make Applique Baby Bibs
How to Restore an Old Family Photo Album
Bamboo Tools to Tend to Your Terrarium
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...