A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,029
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bargain Hunter Swap Round 3 (aka the $5 or $10 swap) Sendouts: Dec. 3rd  (Read 17078 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Astica
« on: October 14, 2007 03:33:43 PM »

It's back by even more popular demand!!
Please read all of the first few posts before signing up! Cheesy

Do you know where every clearance rack is?
Are thrift stores your second home?
Never leave home without your coupon clutch?
Does that 40% off coupon from Michaels, JoAnne's, Hobby Lobby burn a hole in your pocket if you don't use it?
How good thrifty of a shopper are you - really?

Swap name: Bargain Hunter Swap 3
Craftster member who is organizing this swap:  Astica
member who is backing up the organzier: craftydeb
Sign-up date range:  Oct. 14th to Oct. 25th
Date to send item by: Nov. 26th Dec. 3rd

Limited to a certain number of people? No

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? No

All ages allowed? Or 18+?  All ages - Under 18 please get your parent's permission!

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

Details of swap:

This swap - you have $5 or $10 (US dollars, Canadian Dollars, British Pounds, whatever your currency is) to spend on your partner - please spend every bit of it too - you will be required to send your partner your shopping list and costs!
Overseas particpants - you can spend either the $5 or $10 or the current conversion at time of closing - your choice.

You will craft
at least a medium sized craft with what you have bargain shopped - and send all that you acquired to your partner - not everything you hunt down needs to be craftable items or used to make your craft.  Just make sure they are Appropriate for your partner all around.

You can use minimal items from a SMALL bit from your stash - the majority of your item must be made from what you bargain hunted

Be considerate of your partner - yeah, you can get 10 packages of ramen noodles or sour apple flavored ring pops at the store - but do you really think your partner will WANT them?  Get to know your partner - part of swapping is making friendships!  Ask questions and/or stalk - do your best to spend your money as wisely as possible and to get things your partner will really want!

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer (including the questionnaire for your partner!!):
After you do that - please reply to this post so that you will be kept up on the swap.
Do not sign up for this swap if you know that your schedule is too busy for a swap or if you are currently late in any other swap!

Once signed up, please check in and post in this thread once a week so we know you're still alive and crafting Wink

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name and Mailing address including the country:
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
I want to swap $5 or $10 packages...
I want to have one or two partners...(first time swappers one package only -  sorry)

Questions for your partner..
Is there something that you would like to receive?
Is there something that you would NOT like to receive?
What type of crafts do you do or would love to do this round?
Are you allergic or have aversions to anything?
Do you smoke or have any common allergens in your house?
Anything else you might like to tell your partner?

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

Bargain Hunter Swap Round 1 - craftydeb
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=179249.0
Bargain Hunter Swap Round 1 Gallery - craftydeb
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=184100.0
Bargain Hunter Swap Round 2 - craftydeb
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=190154.0
Bargain Hunter Swap Round 2 Gallery- craftydeb
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=195514.0
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007 07:44:20 AM by Astica » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astica
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007 03:34:25 PM »

Please reply to this thread so you can be kept up on any important notices!!

GALLERY
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=207465.0

List of bargain hunters signed up:

Green
- sent
Blue - received
Orange - sent and received
Purple - late with communication
Red - late with NO communication
crossed off - feedback left

$5 swaps
RondaS <--> Astica
straw_holder --> oohmybees --> CraftyMcCrafterson --> (back to straw_holder)

$10 swaps
mittenz <--> TheMermaidsDen
Tanza --> farmgirljame --> cardigan --> (back to Tanza)
RondaS <--> GirlOutLaw
AzureStars <--> ptarmic wumpus
Bo-Baily <--> craftydeb
envyus <--> Em0tionalprayer
shakes <--> Laramie28
itscute <--> Whaam

Please read the list of questions and answers below (next post)

Want to make sure that there's someone in your area to ship to? Keep in mind that new people sign up every day, so if there isn't someone here yet near you, there may well be in the future.
C - Canada
U - United States
A - Australia
NZ - New Zealand
UK - United Kingdom
I - Ireland
O - Other International (check their profile if curious)

1. Astica - C
2. craftydeb - U
3. em0tionalprayer - U
4. AzureStars - U
5. farmgirljane - A
6. Crafty McCrafterson - U
7. itscute - U
8. straw_holder - U
9. Tanza - A
10. ptarmic wumpus - U
11. Bo-Baily -C
12. GirlOutlaw - U
13. RondaS - U
14. envyus - U *first time swapper!*
15. mittenz - UK *first time swapper!*
16. TheMermaidsDen - I (same as shipping to the UK) *first time swapper!*
17. shakes - U
18. Laramie28 - U
19. envyus - U
20. Whaam - O
21. cardigan - NZ
22. oohmybees - U

more will be added as needed
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007 06:49:47 PM by Astica » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astica
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007 03:34:51 PM »

Questions and Answers
Please read these even if you have done this swap before - there might be changes!!

This isn't meant to intimidate or look like there are lots of rules or I'm a stickler.  It's kind of a new idea and I figured I would throw out any questions I could think of that anyone might ask... before they asked.

Where can I shop?
Anywhere you want!  Garage sales, thrift stores, clearance racks in your favorite stores, some guy with a table on a street corner...  if you pay for it, you can buy it and send it along!  You won't need to produce your reciepts - just a cool list of what where and how much!
so it could potentially look like this..
Bag full of zippers... from the smelly guy on 8th ave... $1
package of pompons... thrift store.... 50cents
canvas apron... snobby lobby... $2.50
Bag of knitting needles....garage sale... $2

Your list doesn't have to be exact. You don't need to produce receipts - you just have to keep to your budget and let us see what you got where - it is fun to see how great of a bargain someone can get!
You must include your list with your package so it can be posted up when pics are posted!

Can I send to more than one person?
Yes!  You can be partnered up with two people - just remember to keep your purchases and your total costs spent separate!

Having said that - first time swappers - one package. (gotta stay uniform with other swaps ya know!)

Can I start shopping before my partner(s) assignment is posted?
You COULD but think ahead - what if you bought a bag full of wool and then find out your partner is allergic to wool... you really can't use it for this swap... or if you bought a bunch of orange fabric and find out your partner really doesn't like orange.  Think about how you would feel if you got it and wondered did my partner even read my info?

I can't stop anyone from shopping early - and it is soooo hard not to - just keep track of your stuff - and if you can use it, go for it.. if you can't, just cross it off your list and look for something else!  Just  be considerate of your partner.

Must I really keep track of what I spent?

Yes - part of the fun of this swap is to see just how much you can stretch a dollar!
You are required to include your list in the package that you send.
Do not chuck your list after sending - hold on to it just in case you need to post up pics and your list!
You can also be a good partner and email it to him/her as well so that he/she can copy and paste it when he/she posts up pics... but please do include it in your package as well even if you pm it to your partner... this way it can be fully appreciated at the time of opening.

I got something for free - can I use it?

Sure!  Free is the best bargain of all!  But remember free is free - you still have a limit to obtain!  And make sure you tell your partner how you came upon it - sometimes the story is just as good if not better than the product!

Must all that I buy be craft related?

No. It doesn't have to be.
Say you are paired up with someone who has a cat.
You buy $5 worth of wool at a thrift store - enough to knit and felt her a kitty pi.
The rest of the dough you can spend on buying appropriate things - toys, treats, whatever.  You are only required to craft one medium sized item.

There is no requirement for the percentage of the money you spend on your craftable items - it just has to be part of it - if you hit the goldmine and pick up a package of fabric for a buck at a thrift store - then, yeah, you could feasibly spend $9 on things to go with that item - as long as you still make a medium sized item to go in your package!

What can I use that I already have on hand?

Keep it to a minimum.  You don't need to buy a bottle of glue or a new spool of thread - but please keep your on hand supplies to a minimum.  I am sure that you guys understand that - I am not saying you can't use stuff you already have but let's just say 90% of your crafted item should be bargain hunted stuff - how's that sound?

I guess I could also answer this with a question - do you know how much you paid for it??? If you know you paid $2 a yard for that fabric then I really can't stop you from using it, right?  Just keep in mind this isn't suppose to be a stash busting swap - it's a bargain hunter swap.

Since this is such a fun swap I know that people will start stock piling bargains and keeping track of what they spent on them for future rounds.  I don't really care when you buy them - just know what you spent on them.  What I want to avoid is just using stuff on hand and claiming that $5 yard fabric really only cost $2 just to unload it out of  your stash.

Sooo if you KNOW you spent $x on an item and know where you got them from, use it.  If you don't know what it cost, don't use it.  Please be honest to yourself and to your partner.  This isn't a stash busting swap.  A huge part of this swap is to see the bargain aspect of it all!!
You don't have to say "I have had this $2 bag of beads lying around for 2 years...." just say "beads, bought at flea market for $2"

I want to spoil my partner craftywise - can I?
Being a known spoiler, I am all for spoiling your partner crafty - but you can not spoil her financially - you only have $10 and that is that. So there.
If you want to spoil your partner.. and say you buy $10 worth of yarn.  Yes you can make an entire blanket for your partner if you really feel like it!  I am sure that everyone will still be wanting to break down her door to get that blanket!

Just remember - you are required to send at least a minimum sized crafted item.

I bought a package of 100 popsicle sticks.  I used 50 of them.. can I keep the rest of them for a future project and only claim half of the cost?
No - you really should send those popsicle sticks to your partner.  I am sure that she will make something with the remainder of them!

Do I really need to include my shopping list to my partner when I send my pacakage?
Yes. It's not a whole lot to ask I don't think.  You should be proud of your miserly purchases!  It will also be really fun to see how far each of us can stretch that dollar!
Also don't chuck that list after you send it - if you have to, email it to yourself so that you have it on hand - just in case your package gets lost in transit then you can post up pics  and the shopping list of what some customs employee has in his/her car....

I don't have a camera to take pics of what I receive -
what do I do?

It seems like there is a lot of lack of gallery shots in the galleries lately.  I don't know why that is - but I can say after talking to others it really does hurt the senders feelings that pictures are not posted up in the gallery.  Your partner spent a lot of time shopping and crafting and spent more money to send it to you - please find a way to get pictures posted up.
If you know you do not have a camera to take pictures, please tell me, your organizer, when you send in your questions.  I will do everything in my powers to team you up with someone who will take pictures for you before sending out.. which by the way, you really SHOULD do anyway - just in case something gets lost in the mail...

Do I need to get a DC number/Customs number?

If you are in the US and you ship something - you must get a dc#.  If you are in the US and you are shipping overseas, you will most likely have a customs number - check your receipt - it will be on there.  If you do your postage online, you will get a dc# for free for priority mail and above and you will get a customs number automatically.  It is also a wee bit cheaper - not by much - if you do it online however you don't have the option of first class mail.

I am all about saving money - so if you are in the US - check the calculate postage button on the top of the www.usps.com site and you can figure out how much your package will cost before you send it and all your options.  If you go through the clicknship you will not be able to see how much it will cost for first class mail.  just a tidbit of wonder.

If the items you are sending are thin and doesn't make the thickness requirement for a dc # pad it with bubble wrap - or mail it in a bubble wrap package (they sell them rather inexpensively at dollar stores) whatever it takes.  Get your dc#.
It WILL be notated on your feedback.

TAKE PICTURES OF WHAT YOU SEND!!!

I can not stress that enough - if you have a camera, do yourself a favor and take pictures of what you are sending - this way you can keep them just in case your partner can not/does not post up pics or it sadly gets lost in transit which I really hope does not happen for any of us!

Dang. This looks like a lot of rules and regulations - is this really going to be any fun?
It's actually pretty simple.  You have $5 or $10 to spend.  You make one medium crafted item. All that you bought/crafted goes in a box and you mail it to your partner.  After your partner gets her package you post up what you bought and how much you spent so we can all revel in your shoppy goddess glow.

HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!
HAPPY SHOPPING AND MAY THE SALES BE WITH YOU.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007 03:49:20 PM by Astica » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astica
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007 03:35:37 PM »

When you send your package, you must include your shopping list.  Whoever posts up pics will post up the shopping list at that time so we can associate the list with the package.

Important Dates to Remember:
Might as well get this all out in the open so there are no surprises!

Signups - Oct. 14th - Oct. 25th
Partner Assignments:  Oct.27th (at the latest)
Send out Date:  Nov. 26th
Date for late without communication: Nov. 30th
  (that is if I have not heard from someone by that time)
Date for negative feedback: Dec. 6th
  (if package has not been sent by then)

okay.
cheerful note - Round 1 and two were both awesome!  I can't wait to see what all you guys can come up with for this round!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007 03:44:37 PM by Astica » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007 03:54:26 PM »

I am sooo stoked for this round!  Sending in my info~ okay I kind of have to don't I - being the coorganizer and all - but I am really stoked for this round!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Astica
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007 03:56:12 PM »

I think it's pretty awesome that the bargain hunter swap was the first swap I ever did, but it's also the first I've organized.
I never really thought about that before ^^;

And thanks so much for backing me up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessiac_3

But you're better than normal, you're abnormal!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007 07:45:04 PM »

I want to participate in this one again, but money has really not been my friend lately.  I'll have to make sure I can commit time to craft and fundage for shipping...

I'll keep looking, and get back to you guys before the 25th!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when you realize life's a b!tch, she has puppies.  - Anonymous
bamfknitter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007 08:15:04 PM »

Would LOVE to do this one, I've spent the last couple hours looking at the links to the other Bargain-Hunter Swap pages, and I've laughed, sat at the edge of my seat with anticipation, and felt like I participated in the swap preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'itself......buuuuuuuut.....I')'m a first time swapper (heh  Wink ) and am already signed up for another swap.
 Sad
Will definitely keep my eyes open for the next one though, and be watching this one...it sounds like so much fun!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cashcrate.com/931389 <-- make money taking surveys on the web.  Get paid MONTHLY to fuel your CRAFT addiction!
In the last 2 weeks of Dec (when I 1st joined) I made over $55USD!
Astica
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007 12:38:30 PM »

Would LOVE to do this one, I've spent the last couple hours looking at the links to the other Bargain-Hunter Swap pages, and I've laughed, sat at the edge of my seat with anticipation, and felt like I participated in the swap preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'itself......buuuuuuuut.....I')'m a first time swapper (heh  Wink ) and am already signed up for another swap.
 Sad
Will definitely keep my eyes open for the next one though, and be watching this one...it sounds like so much fun!  Grin
Ahha XD
I'm oh so tempted to say "TREASON!"
But well... I also plan to signup for that swap ^^;

Look forward to seeing you in a future round and have fun with your first swap!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007 01:51:14 PM by Astica » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AzureStars
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007 02:49:39 PM »

Oh, this sounds fun! I *love* bargain shopping and finding great deals....my boyfriend yells at me all the time because I'll spend 2+ hours in Goodwill because I have to look at *everything*, ha.

Sending in my info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists!--A small but growing list.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Modamob Staff Picks For Our Favorite Mascara
How to Pick the Right Foundation for Your Skin
#StopTheBeautyMadness
Great Makeup Tips For Summer Brides
DIY Pore Strips…Do They Work?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...