A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Refinished formica vanity - Eek! to Chic  (Read 3303 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MoonChyld3
« on: October 14, 2007 10:47:10 AM »

I've been a long-time lurker and decided to finally add something of my own... A few weeks ago a family friend gave me a vanity that she was getting rid of. I've always wanted one, so of course I jumped at the chance. The only problem was that the drawer fronts were a not-too-appealing faux wood formica, and the drawer handles are not really my style either. So, a trip to Home Depot and a few hours later:

Before:

After:

I had a hard time finding out the best way to paint the formica, but thanks to 5year and this post from Ayn for advice, I sanded first with 120 grit sand paper, used 2 coats of kilz primer, and a light blue latex paint which has held up pretty well so far. *crosses fingers*

I also got new drawer pulls (I couldn't find any handles with the same screw hole distance, so I ended up with two knobs. It kind of reminds me of a pea coat). If anyone wants the old drawer pulls, please let me know and I will send them to you for free! I have no interest in them, and I'm not sure if I can give them to Good Will but I definitely don't want to throw them away. (edit: Sold! Er, Given Away! Thanks!)

I'm really happy with the final result, this is my first time painting furniture and I think it went pretty well.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007 05:52:45 AM by MoonChyld3 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
a10derHeart
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007 11:03:34 AM »

I think it came out great! and the double knob effect is just funky enough to look like it was on purpose. I love it when things happen that way
Great Job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am such a tomboy!
RadioactvUnicorn
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007 11:35:12 AM »

You can't even tell it's the same!  Fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ViciousGossip
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007 12:38:13 PM »

It looks really cute! I have a vintage dresser that I'm planning on painting soon, I still have to decide on a color...I also need new knobs. I really like yours, so I might have to steal that idea...you got them at home depot right? How much were they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trix_ska
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007 06:42:55 PM »

Wow! It doesn't even look like the same piece of furniture! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mygrandmasaysimkool
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007 06:47:47 PM »

I've been wanting to get an old used piece of furniture and redo it and you have definitly motivated me. You did an awsome job! You should be proud of yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shastaw2006
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007 10:01:00 PM »

Join your local freecycle (freecycle.com), I'm sure someone in your area would love to have the knobs, and they'll usually even pick up. I love the new color scheme
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MoonChyld3
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007 05:48:33 AM »

Wow, thanks for the compliments guys!

It looks really cute! I have a vintage dresser that I'm planning on painting soon, I still have to decide on a color...I also need new knobs. I really like yours, so I might have to steal that idea...you got them at home depot right? How much were they?
They were either $1 or $2 each I think, but they had a lot to choose from. I got fairly basic knobs.

Join your local freecycle (freecycle.com), I'm sure someone in your area would love to have the knobs, and they'll usually even pick up. I love the new color scheme
That's a great suggestion. To my surprise I've already received a PM from someone who's interested!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViciousGossip
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007 04:58:01 PM »

I'm glad they're cheap, I need about 15 knobs! Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007 04:59:37 PM by ViciousGossip » THIS ROCKS   Logged
5year

Oooooh, mysterious.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007 06:58:44 PM »

Yay, I'm glad it turned out so well! It looks lovely.

Ha, I had the same knob problem with a dresser I refinished a few years ago, and I ended up doing the double knob thing also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't know the suffering of people outside my front door; I join the oppressors of those whom I chose to ignore.
-Derek Webb
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Under Eye Highlighting Powder
Back To School: Age Appropriate Make Up Tips
How to Mask Cellulite
Growing Out Your Bangs? 3 Hairstyles to Ease the Transition!
Is The Beachwaver the Mother of All Curling Irons? We Find Out!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...