A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,486
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Help Making A Pattern for Panta/Calorimetry  (Read 1664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cynthianyc
« on: October 13, 2007 07:48:11 PM »

Hi, everyone!

So I've been going nuts for the past 4 months trying to figure out how to make this really pretty panta (or calorimetry).  I don't know anyone else who knits or crochets, and I'm only a newbie.  I thought I'd give it a shot and see if any of you experienced knitters can help and figure out the pattern.

Here are the big photos, but because the yarn is dark, you can see the details:  

Here are some small photos (sorry!), but you can see the details:

I'm about to go nuts if I can't make one.  It's starting to get really chilly here and I would love to be able to make one.  Maybe if someone can figure out the pattern, we can revive the panta/calorimetry craze again!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007 08:42:03 PM »

Use knitty's free Calorimetry pattern as a base http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html It's ribbed, but that's easy enough to change.

The edging & flower on these photos are probably crocheted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007 08:41:05 AM »

That is either the thickest yarn I have ever seen, or it is crochet.  The top of a crochet stitch can look like stockinette so there is probably some way they are using the side of the post for the next row.  I might noodle around on this for a while.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007 01:21:31 PM »

Yeah, I think it's basically a crocheted calorimetry, done in the "round" from the inside out with increases at the ends to give it the oblong look and some sort of knitting in the back only or something to give it the ribbed sort of effect.  If you look at the small pictures, you can just sort of see that it looks like there's a spiral going on, and if that is the case, it almost definitely is not knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
cynthianyc
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007 08:26:37 PM »

Any experienced pattern makers want to take a shot?  I have gone nuts trying to figure it out...and cannot. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmdm
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007 07:54:36 AM »

I enlarged the photo of the white one, and it is definitely crocheted. Your starting chain would be in the center and you'd be crocheting around, on both sides of the chain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cynthianyc
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007 07:56:40 PM »

Use knitty's free Calorimetry pattern as a base http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html It's ribbed, but that's easy enough to change.

The edging & flower on these photos are probably crocheted.

How would I go about un-ribbing it?  Sorry if I sound dumb...but I'm a total newbie!

I enlarged the photo of the white one, and it is definitely crocheted. Your starting chain would be in the center and you'd be crocheting around, on both sides of the chain.

Yes, my friend has one.  It is really thick yarn, but it's double (as in from two separate balls used as one).

It looks knit in person.  It has the perfect stockinette ">>>>>>>" going horizontally (as in the very last photo). 

Also in the 2nd big photo, how did they get the perfect "V" shape near the ears?

Would it be possible that it's knit and crochet?  Meaning the 4 rows on the left and the 4 on the right (the v shape) are then crocheted together with two rows of single stitch crochet?  The "V" near the ears look so perfect.  Crochet is a little sloppy, no?  You can get angular edges like that.  Can you?

Honestly, I'm so frustrated after trying to figure it out, I may just cave and cough up the $50 for the darn thing!  I've spent way more on yarn, needles, hooks, books, etc.  :\

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007 08:09:31 PM by cynthianyc » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cynthianyc
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007 06:21:45 PM »

Hi, everyone---

I stopped by the Christmas fair in Manhattan and the company that makes these Pantas is there.  I took a VERY close look and it looks like it's mostly knit.  It's 3 columns (not sure of the appropriate knitting terminology since I'm a newbie) on the left and 3 on the right.  It starts off as 4-5 rows at one end, then branches out and the unites on the other end.  The middle is done the same way, but 2 columns on each side.  Once you have the two "leaf-like" forms knitted, it's crocheted together into one whole piece.  The second, smaller section (the middle part) is gathered in the middle using HDC crochet.

You can kinda see it here:

And here:

I don't know how I'd go about doing this since I know nothing about increasing or decreasing in knitting.

But it's definitely knit.

I'm still trying the crochet version since I know how to do that better.

If you completed one on your own, PLEASE post your pics.  I'm sure we'd all like to see them!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007 06:23:56 PM by cynthianyc » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007 07:31:36 PM »

It would be more like panta - knit from end to end - than calorimetry, knit long side to long side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
cynthianyc
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007 08:39:41 AM »

Is there a pattern I can try?  I don't know how to knit anything else except for  stockinette and in the shape of a scarf!   Roll Eyes

Here's a better photo of the stitch:

The border/edge and flower are definitely crochet.  I'm hoping maybe one of you knitting guru's can try to make a pattern.  These are so darn cute, but so expensive!!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 08:43:10 AM by cynthianyc » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Repurpose Tin Cans
How to Create a Chinese Staircase-Patterned Friendship Bracelet
How to Make a Heart Duct Tape Coin Purse
How to Make a Duct Tape Passport Lanyard
How to Make Duct Tape Earrings
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...