A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
344 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sailor Sam and Friends 3-Pocket shoulder bag (Now with Pocket TUTE! [10/15])  (Read 3932 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Digital Duck

*Stina loves her gadgets even though they run amok

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2007 05:44:39 PM »

I saw this bag on Alloy.com and I thought to myself, I can make that!...

And I got about 4.5 yards of "Sailor Sam and Friends" 45" Home Dec fabric for about $2/yard.  It's really cute:

So I combined the two, made my own pattern, and came up with THIS!!!

I used rip-stop nylon for the inside

It's pretty stiff because I put medium-weight interfacing in there but this is my new favorite bag!!!

POCKET TUTE!!  Grin

I don't have images, so hopefully I can do a good job of explaining this w/o them.  If anyone needs visuals, let me know and I'll come up with something.  If you get confused, maybe referring to the above picture will help.

[NOTE: I allow for a 1/2 inch seam allowance to make the math easier]
I'll start with the pocket body and do the flap later down.

So to start off, let's say that you want to make an outer pocket that's 3" high and 5" wide.  Cut a 4x6 piece of the main fabric and then for the "expandy part" of the pocket, which I will just call the Border, you want to take the total inches for 3 sides of the pocket, in this case, 4+6+4=14" and make the border that long by 2" wide.

I used mid-weight interfacing on all pieces, I recommend this for pocket strength.

Press the border, lengthwise accordion style into four, 1/2" sections.  In the end, the pocket will only be 1 inch deep because of the 1/2" seam allowance.

Pin and sew one side of the length along the edge of your pocket's main fabric.  Press the heck out of the seam so that when you lay the pocket face up on the outside of your purse you can't really see the border.  Press the entire top part of the pocket down 1/2 inch, lay it flat and then topstitch across the border, the main fabric, and then running over the other end of the border. 

Pin the OTHER SIDE of the border length, the unsewn part, to the purse.  You will topstitch it to your bag.  Make sure that when you do this, you are stopstitching the fold as close to the edge as possible and that, in the end, you want the border to really only be visible from the side.

If you lay it flat on the bag with the border lying straight aross the purse, you will not have any space to put stuff in the pocket.

For the flap, you basically just cut a piece of main fabric and a piece of border fabric.  For measurements, you probably want it as wide as the pocket, in this case you will cut it 6 inches wide.  However long you want it to hang over the pocket, add an inch to account for the depth you've added with the border, and proper seam allowances.  So if you want it to hang over 1.5 inches, you will need to cut the fabric to 4.5 inches.

So you will cut 2 pieces of 4.5x6, sew them right sides together, trim the seam, turn it, topstitch about 1/4 inch from the edge, then place the flap with the topstitched edge tucked into the pocket 1/4 inch and stitch over the same stitch line.

It sounds sort of confusing, even to me, so I will try to add pictures when I can.  I have a painting mid-term to do this week at home and that's looking like a 12-hour minimum commitment.  So if you don't understand it, have some patience and I'll do it next week when I'm done with my mid-term.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007 10:27:02 PM by Digital Duck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

unpopulartshirt
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007 06:00:26 PM »

How awesome!! The fabric is so cute, and personally I think yours is cooler than the one you were inspired by! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007 06:02:37 PM »

ok, this is just a personal opinion...but that Alloy bag is HIDEOUS!  But your bag is just adorable!  And it's a billion and one times better then the crummy Alloy one.  And I love that fabric! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
IamSusie
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007 06:26:09 PM »

I like you bag better too!  well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thainalima
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007 06:32:09 PM »

Your bag is amazing (really far better than the Alloy one), and the fabric is really very cute.  Cheesy  I love it!  \o/

We don't have fabrics like this here in Brazil    Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007 11:13:37 PM »

Cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bbeaded
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007 01:15:48 AM »

oh my i absolutely adore that fabric! it is so cute!! awsome bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Latest blog - www.oddsnblobs.blogspot.com

MY NEW ETSY STORE!! - www.oddsnblobs.etsy.com
PurpleLipstickGirl
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007 01:27:24 AM »

I like your bag so much better than Alloy's (Although I did just buy some really hot boots from them in their clearance), your bag has so much more character.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007 07:26:44 AM »

I love it! Those front pockets are perfect! Would you mind doing a mini tutorial for the pockets?  Grin

P.S.
I agree w/ byonic_girl about the inspiration bag. I honestly don't know why the colored pleather/vinyl is supposed to be "in" this season. Sometimes those fashion designers who come up w/ some of this stuff make no sense to me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
dottcomm1
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007 02:53:38 PM »

damn! that's awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Shampoo
How to Make Your Hair Grow
How to Plait Classic Pigtails
How to Shampoo Your Hair
How to Style Punk Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...