A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: roly-nester zipper pouch - pic, link to tute, and question  (Read 1241 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dftkarin
« on: October 14, 2007 08:36:11 AM »

pattern for this cool little pouch can be found here:
http://www.studiokatdesigns.com/freepatterns.htm

My question is this: the pattern/instructions call for using fusible fleece as the interfacing and I have used it (for the first time) and its neat but I am hopeful that I can find something else that will still work but ne nicer and/or more natural-feeling.  Has anyone else made these pouches and used just flannel as interfacing? Or used a different type of interfacing. I love the easiness of just ironing on fusible stuff - but I HATE the way fusible 'feels' in bags or pouches. I imagine myself struggling with sew-in interface - like it might flip and flop around and wrinkle and be worse than nothing at all! I thought about trying a few different things to see for myself - but that is a lot of work (and expensive zippers) to use on practice bags. Any advice for me? Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions/etc.!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diCremona
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007 01:43:53 PM »

I loved these bags and had to make one immediately - with only things I had on hand. I found a quilted placemat that had enough weight to not require interfacing at all. If it had been just quilted material, or the backing wasn't attractive, I would have left it at that and lined it as in the tutorial. However, the placemat was pretty on both sides so instead I lined it with clear plastic to make it waterproof - it worked very well so I use it as a travelling toothbrush bag. In any case, it had sufficient body to hold its shape without interfacing and with or without the plastic lining.
Your bag is lovely and looks very well made - I struggled a bit with the ends, but yours look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dftkarin
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007 04:42:54 PM »

Thanks for your reply and compliment! I made three of these today with expensive quilting fabric and the fusible fleece and now that they are done (and truthfully, they are more work than they seem at first - all that bias tape over the pinched/clipped spots on the inside!), the fabric looks weird with the fusible fleece beneath it - like its slightly stretched in some areas and mushed together a tiny bit in others. I e-mailed Kat, the woman who's site offers this pattern - and she replied saying that she has only ever made them with fusible fleece and it always comes out great for her. Maybe its because I'm still a relative beginner at making bags and pouches.  Where do you get waterproof stuff that you can sew as a lining??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neeterg
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007 07:54:05 PM »

If you baste your sew-in interfacing to the wrong side of your fabric before you sew the seams you shouldn't have any trouble.  I much prefer using sew-in interfacing because the fusible kind can bubble and I don't like the look or feel of my project after I apply it. I made a little pouch similar to yours and didn't use any interfacing and I think it was too flimsy.  I did, however, line the pouch but it didn't improve the flimsiness much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diCremona
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007 09:19:38 PM »

I can't remember exactly where I got the clear plastic lining, but it was either at Fabricland or Walmart. I'm sure it is relatively easy to find anywhere that has home dec. stuff because I think it is usually used as a table covering.
Btw - I used a long stitch to sew it just in case it perforated, and when I gave my sample piece a good tug it held together just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dftkarin
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007 12:56:22 PM »

I looked for sew-in waterproof stuff today at AC Moore but couldn't find any. I'll check JoAAnne's when I get a chance - thanks for the tip of using a long stitch length. Do you use it as the only lining? Or as a layer of a two-layer lining?

Also, I made a few more bags to try out different interfacing. I tried warm and natural batting, unquilted to either the outer or lining fabric - and it looked kind of squashed, but it felt nice. I made another using craft-fuse still fusible interfacing and it held up alright but it doesn't puff out like it does with the fusible fleece - and it indents easily so it wants to be stiff but not neccesarily in the direction I want it to!  Maybe the fusible fleece would look better with a darker and busier print fabric - but I still hate how it feels. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diCremona
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007 08:49:25 PM »

I did use the plastic as the only lining, because the placemat I used had just enough batting to give body to the bag, and was double-sided with the same fabric, so it looked nice to see it on the inside, too. I didn't put it in like the regular lining, though, because I thought it might get stuck in the zipper, so I just put the plastic together with the patterned material and sewed them as one piece. I should have put two lines of topstitching beside the zipper, though, to hold down the zipper tape - it looks fine with one but it would lie flatter inside with two. Good luck finding the lining - if all else fails, plastic shower curtains work well, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Distortion to your Advantage
How to Light a Macro Shoot
Comparison Between Abstract and Pictorial Photography
How to Light a Portrait with Small Flash Units Part 1/2
How to Photograph Water Movement Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...