A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,681
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you have a sock pattern for serious hikers?  (Read 469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LovelyRita07
« on: October 12, 2007 06:59:48 AM »

My dad and brother are going on a hiking trip and I thought it would be nice to knit them a pair of hiking socks. I asked them and they said they just need something thick, warm and comfortable.

Anyone have a pattern for men's hiking socks?
If not, anyone have suggestions or tips on making sure the sock is nice and thick?
I'm not really sure what type of yarn to use, any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007 07:27:11 AM »

Use wool.  I like Shelridge Farms for mens socks.  Its cushy, yet warm and absorbant.  But mainly,  use wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
LovelyRita07
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007 07:46:04 AM »

Use wool.  I like Shelridge Farms for mens socks.  Its cushy, yet warm and absorbant.  But mainly,  use wool.

Thanks! I figured wool, but I wanted to make sure. Are those your dogs in the picture? They're adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007 07:54:10 AM »

Knitty's Thuja is a men's sock pattern that uses a thicker superwash wool yarn, not the normal sock-weight. The result is a thicker sock. You could also pick out your wool, then do a toe-up custom pattern for the measurements. I see commercial socks with a thicker fabric on the contact areas, so maybe a textured stitch on the bottom, toes and back of the foot with plain stockinette on the rest would be good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dandelionwine
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007 10:12:25 AM »

there's a pattern for men's hiking socks in "knitting with balls".  it's just a basic ribbed sock patterns that calls for worsted weight yarn and size 7 dpns i believe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007 06:16:39 PM »

Thanks! I figured wool, but I wanted to make sure. Are those your dogs in the picture? They're adorable!!!

Yep, them's my dudes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
pinkgrrlygeek
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007 09:44:26 PM »

I went on a backpacking trip last summer - we planned for 9 days but knee problems took us off the trail on day 5 - and while I LOVE handknitted socks, there is no way I would wear them for a serious hiking trip.

Commercial socks have several advantages for hiking - they have terrycloth-like loops on the inside that cushion and wick, which helps avoid blisters, which are the most common reason people have to leave the trail early. They are very uniform and even, also important for avoiding blisters. They also come in various thicknesses so that you can switch to a thinner pair as your feet swell up.

That said, a pair of nice warm socks just for sleeping in can be quite welcome, and wool or a wool/silk blend are the best choices for that, since even if they get wet they retain warmth. Also, for hiking in high altitudes, a handknitted cap is a wonderful thing to sleep in and to wear on cold mornings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007 02:06:09 AM »

I'd choose a thick wool and make anything to fit. Try this if you can't do socks without a pattern:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bruxknits/pats/BasicSockChart.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 9/28
How to Crochet a Soap Holder
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 4/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 3/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 6/28
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...