A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fake cookies- how?  (Read 1100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shastaw2006
« on: October 11, 2007 02:44:44 PM »

I want to make fake cookies to put in my cookie jars, so we don't keep eating cookies but I still get the look of cookies in the cookie jars!

I was thinking of maybe making clay cookies, but I thought that might use a lot of clay, and I'm not too talented with polymer clay yet.

Or I could make real cookies, and somehow seal them? I think this would look the best... but I don't want them to rot.

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007 05:54:43 AM »

You could always make them out of salt dough.  It is great stuff and will last for a long time. 
And you can seal it with varnish after it is finished.

http://www.fashion-era.com/Christmas/christmas_salt_dough_craft.htm#Paulines_Basic_Bread_Dough_Paste_Recipe_1__
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007 06:46:42 PM »

Polymer clay is not food safe, nor would I use it (intentionally) anywhere someone might mistake it for real & try to bite it.

I did see a cookie jar with an alarm on it recently in a catalog, might that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moxigrl54
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007 07:19:49 AM »

These cookies and just made from felt. Sorry I don't have anything else for ya but I thought that this would at least give you some kind of a place to start at! Hope it helps!!

http://www.hipandlittle.com/catalog.php?item=403&catid=24&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D24
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007 03:51:14 PM »

If I may ask: where are these cookies & who is taking them without permission? Are they in 'public' (like a cookie jar on a counter). Were they intended to be decorative instead of eaten originally?

I'm afraid tricking people who are under the impression that the food is for sharing may cause more problems than it solves. Talking it over is much better.

If they are your sweet tooth stash but you love the cookie jar you Nana gave you you really need to talk it over instead of tricking people. Worst case use the cookie jar for potpouri (or something else obviously not food) and keep your cookies elswhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shastaw2006
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007 09:09:37 PM »

They're traditional cookie jars...  heres a pic you can kinda see it

I just want the image of the cookies, and it's just me and my boyfriend, so no worries about people getting upset about biting into a fake cookie. except for the drunk friends, and then it will be funny.

Mostly, I don't care that the cookies are being eaten, but I want the look of the cookies there, without me and my SO eating 2-3 cookies a day, if the real ones are there, they will be eaten. There's no such thing as self-control in this house.

I like the felt cookie idea, after I made some more chocolate chip cookies I was examining them and decided that it's going to be way too hard to get cookies that look like my normal ones, so I'm leaning towards obviously fake. That will prevent people messing them up, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lerani
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007 10:09:08 PM »

I have a cookie jar just like that sitting on my counter.
I fill it up with oreos but the darn things vanish almost instantly yet no one claims to have eaten them all (gnomes must invade the kitchen at night I guess =p )

Anyway salt dough cookies would work perfect for what you want .
They won't look like chocolate chips cookies though , more like gingerbread . Use a jar lid to cut them out and they will look almost like  ginger snaps .

You won't have to worry about anyone eating them ..drunk or not they may take a bite but they will spit them out .. taste like pure yuck .

They keep for a long time if your humidity is low even if you don't varnish them.

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmasfun/kids.htm
the recipe with the cinnamon and nutmeg is really nice ... they smell great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007 05:52:29 PM »

someone around here made some convincing looking cupcakes with paper pulp...maybe give that a whirl! they looked really tasty too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
bigeyes
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007 12:17:37 AM »

Cheesy  I just keep thinking how mad my kids would be if I had fake cookies  in my cookie jar.  lol

luckily, that will never be a problem.

Post a pic when you're done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Smooth, Shiny Hair
Easy Hair Extensions
Gloss Products Review
What to do With Thinning Hair
Beauty Hair Tips
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...