A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reconstruction challenge swap?  (Read 544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indiepopstatic
« on: April 13, 2005 10:05:14 AM »

Here's my idea: We send our swapee a random article of clothing that they have to reconstruct (or incorporate into a current project). We post before-and-after pictures in a month or so.

Is this something anyone would like to participate in? I've never organized (or even participated!) in a swap before, and I'm kind of scared/intimidated to do it. If anyone is willing to organize this one, I'd be happy to join.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zlana
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005 08:43:57 AM »

I would do this.. but you'd hafta be sure your guidelines including what to send or else have people post their sizes... wouldn't want to get shoes that don't fit to begin with. I mean, part of the point of recon is to make it fit right (or often anyhow) but somethings, like shoes, are hard to reconstruct reasonably. Maybe limit the things that can be sent to pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, and shirts?

Anyhow, don't mean to sound like I'm picking on the idea, I love it; I found this thread cuz I was looking to see if anyone was planning a recon type swap. Just trying to help make it work as a swap.

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indiepopstatic
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005 09:36:02 AM »

I would do this.. but you'd hafta be sure your guidelines including what to send or else have people post their sizes... wouldn't want to get shoes that don't fit to begin with. I mean, part of the point of recon is to make it fit right (or often anyhow) but somethings, like shoes, are hard to reconstruct reasonably. Maybe limit the things that can be sent to pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, and shirts?

Anyhow, don't mean to sound like I'm picking on the idea, I love it; I found this thread cuz I was looking to see if anyone was planning a recon type swap. Just trying to help make it work as a swap.

Cheers!

Good points! I'm actually new at this and was hoping someone else would organize the swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rusty
A little bit of everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005 01:12:32 PM »

..or... (because this is what I was initially thinking when I read the title)... what if you sent your partner something to re-construct FOR YOU! Like, say I had a pair of old jeans that were my husbands and they fit me around the waist, but were too long, ugly, etc. I'd send those off and my partner would turn them into a work of art that I could wear (like a funky skirt) and send it back to me!

So if you sent a pair of shoes, they'd be your size already. Yeah?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sedrasmom
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005 11:07:54 PM »

I'd be game for joining in on this. I think it would work best if we turned what we were sending into something for urs ourselves though. Otherwise, if anybody were to send me a garment to send back to them as something else that was wearable, they would get a drawstring spinner skirt, end of story. If they'd be willing to except a wallet/bag/purse, then I'd let out a sigh of relief.

I don't know about anybody else, but when I recon I basically sit around in my underwear (or less, depending on the project) and keep trying it on and adjusting it to fit me how I want it. Seriously. My best friend asked me if I'd make her a pair of altered jeans with patchwork like I made for myself and I said yes but only if you'll come sit around in your underwear as I sew them, so that's what we're doing! Unless you're exactly the same size as me, I wouldn't be able to sew for you unless it was something forgiving.  And I'd feel so bad if I sent something back to somebody and it didn't fit them.

Monica
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005 11:11:19 PM by sedrasmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
purple_hippo
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005 12:25:03 AM »

what about reconstructing old clothes/shoes as bits of art? Blanket patches, handbags, murals....who says it needs to come back wearable???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007 08:24:40 AM »

I'd love to see a refashion swap where you'd send one or 2 items to your partner along with your measurements and comments about what you didn't like about the item(s) sent (i.e. it was too long, short, tight, loose, etc.). Then they use that info and their imagination to come up with something either by combining the items sent to them or incorporating their own supplies from stash. Then they send your stuff back to you.

Personally, I know I am capable of reconstructing my own clothes, but when it is for myself I have trouble deciding what I want the finished item to look like. I don't usually have that much trouble when I'm crafting for others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cork Picture Frame
How to Create a Cake Stand
Ed Donovan Talks About Glass Blowing
Todd Hansen Talks About Glass Blowing
How to Make a Sexy Schoolgirl Halloween Costume
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...