A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help with holiday party invitations  (Read 547 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jackiesue
« on: October 11, 2007 08:59:32 AM »

I've got to design and print holiday party invitations for my work's office party.  I found a card on tinyprints.com that I'd like to copy.  I'm probably going to make it up in Photoshop but I can't find a brush that looks like what's on the card.  Here's the card-

The description says winterberry and I've googled it and even tried to find an image I could make a brush out of but no luck.  So I'm hoping some of you craftsters can help me out!!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007 09:12:05 AM »

Make a brush from the image you posted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
CraftyMcGluestick
Propel, propel, propel your craft softly down liquid solution. Ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, existence is simply illusion. -Mr. Rogers

Crafting today for a better tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007 09:13:07 AM »

I did a google search, too, to see what you were up against and I think I may have found a page with some good photoshoppable images.

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/eorn.html

If these don't work out, try changing the search parameters (under advanced search) to include only black and white or gray scale photos (these will typically have a lot less background noise and are easy to modify). I also recommend large file sizes since they can be infinitely more useful than tiny ones. Also, these berries don't have to be winterberries. They look similar to Holly berries as well. Try some berry variants and you should come up with something.

If not, try looking for some royalty-free clip art books of plants. These often come with cd-roms and are very photoshoppable. This is what I used to make my wedding invitations with a magnolia.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck--these invitations are beautiful!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007 09:14:00 AM by CraftyMcGluestick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jackiesue
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007 09:34:34 AM »

I considered it but I don't really want to do it where it's the band with the image in the middle of the invitation.  I like the idea of the berries but it wouldn't work right to do it exactly like the invitation cause I have to print it on 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jackiesue
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007 09:35:40 AM »

I did a google search, too, to see what you were up against and I think I may have found a page with some good photoshoppable images.

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/eorn.html

If these don't work out, try changing the search parameters (under advanced search) to include only black and white or gray scale photos (these will typically have a lot less background noise and are easy to modify). I also recommend large file sizes since they can be infinitely more useful than tiny ones. Also, these berries don't have to be winterberries. They look similar to Holly berries as well. Try some berry variants and you should come up with something.

If not, try looking for some royalty-free clip art books of plants. These often come with cd-roms and are very photoshoppable. This is what I used to make my wedding invitations with a magnolia.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck--these invitations are beautiful!

Thank you so much!  I had looked a little bit at getty-images.com and google images but hadn't had much luck.  I'll check out that link.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007 09:44:32 AM »

I considered it but I don't really want to do it where it's the band with the image in the middle of the invitation.  I like the idea of the berries but it wouldn't work right to do it exactly like the invitation cause I have to print it on 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  Smiley

Ahh... I got ya!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007 01:03:10 PM »

Well, if you find an image you like, its pretty simple to do in PS.

Here's the image I started with:

And after I

-changed it to a white background
-posterized it slightly
-and used the "variation" tool to add more red in all categories, and a bit of cyan highlighting, it changed to this:

that's not exactly what you're looking for, but I did it in like, ten minutes. If you played around with it a bit more (maybe less in the highlights and darken the colors), you could probably nail it pretty easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
littler4bbit
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007 07:59:45 PM »

there is a free stock photography site called stock exchange. well, some are free and they offer some for really cheap also. another really cheap stock photography place is istock. happy hunting.

(ps: really cheap = like 1-7 dollars... your company could afford that, right?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Retro Hair Style
How to Create a Bow Hair Style
How to Style Your Hair Using the H2Pro Straightener
How to Find Your Perfect Hair Extensions Color
Clip In Hair Extensions - Questions and Answers
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...