A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
809 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty mothers?  (Read 686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chirel
« on: December 17, 2004 10:00:32 PM »

Sometime in Janyary I'll become a mother. Now I'm wondering, what kind of crafts I'll still be able to do then. Will the first couple of months be completely craft free time consentrating on the baby or is there something easy people have been able to do while taking care of their newborn babies?

Any ideas or experiences?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004 04:11:58 AM »

I would say knitting or crocheting would be a good crafty thing. It's all I was able to manage with a newborn because it didn't make a mess and I was able to put it down easily when needed.
Just try to find a stress free craft that makes you happy.
Congratulations and good luck with delivery ......and with the new baby.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inna
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004 10:09:04 AM »

I couln't do any crafting for the first 3 months, the poor kid was sick all the time - so me and her slept any chance we had. After that she didn't care what i did as long as she was in her snugglie or her backpack. I got the backpack and the snuglie at a second hand consignment store - it was the best investment i have ever made - now my sickly little angel is 6 and healthy as a horse.
My friends baby was only happy in the swing.
You will find what works for you and fairly quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
KariMichelle
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004 08:59:40 PM »

Well, at the very beginning babies sleep a lot, so you will have time then.  It is when they are crawling away from you that is the problem!   Grin  Actually, once my son started crawling, he was also at the age where he would play by himself independently for awhile.

Also, once your baby is sleeping regularly, you can put them down to bed at 7pm and have a good chunk of time until you go to bed.  That is how I do all my work!  But then you have to make sure you go to bed at a reasonable hour because sometimes it is tempting to keep working.  (I've been up until 3 am more than once!  Just because I am free to do whatever I want.  Well, whatever quiet thing I want...)   Grin

I agree with knitting, etc.  I can make baby hats on the loom while I follow him around or watch him play.  But I don't try to paint or anything. 

-Kari
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.hipandlittle.com

Big style for little ones!
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004 02:17:49 AM »

I agree with the knitting or crotcheting. Maybe embroidery. You can do bits of crafting here and there but my daugher demanded to be help while sleeping so I didn't craft much, especially past 5 months. I actually just started again 6 months ago after a 1 1/2 break. I did do a little sewing but it was hard.  TRy and rest and don't feel bad about taking naps, you can craft later. You are going to be tired and its a big adjustment. Congrats! Having a baby is the most special thing that can ever happen to a person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004 05:56:16 AM »

Chirel, are you going to be a SAHM(stay at home mom)?
If no, you will have odd moments in your day to craft... like during you lunch break, the commute to/from work, that extra hour before you pick up your kid from daycare.... so portable crafts are key (as mentioned: knitting, crochet, embroidery, etc).
If yes, you should craft when you have the time- most likely at night (like mentioned by SpunkyGal). You have more options for craftiness, like sewing and book making.

I am a SAHM and I have 2 babies as well as a 7yo SS, three kids! When my 2yo was first born (and is the case also w/ my 3mo) I put him in his bouncy chair or car seat and had him in the room with me while I was sewing- after awhile the sewing machine sounds would put him to sleep. With the arrival of the new one, I've begun opting for more portable crafts like knitting... something I can work on here and there and bundle up in my diaper bag if need be. With both babies I didn't stop crafting, just found different crafts that could fit in my time restraints and needs. I took naps w/ the babies (but not every time or I'd be sleeping all day) and breastfed both. Sometimes their Daddy will help out by letting me have an hour or so to myself. Getting a mental break from newborn duties by crafting was an essential needed release.

Also I'm assuming you're a first timer, so I'll give you some tips that I've learned:
-When baby cries you don't have to sprint/run/fly to her side immediately, baby can wait a minute or two or three (my MIL taught this to me) for you to finish that knitted row. This is the hardest thing to overcome in first timer motherhood
-You can get a bouncy chair or a car seat with a rounded bottom, while working on things if baby gets a little fussy you can rock either seat with your foot to calm him (when your baby reaches toddlerhood you'll have the ankles of a god)
-If you are breastfeeding, you can do stuff with your free hand (the one not cradling the baby) like draw, paint, or read a book.

Congratulations on your upcoming new addition!! When your baby arrives, post pics Grin
Right now you have time to make baby stuff before it's born, so get crafting lady!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bumble and Bumble Hair at London Fashion Week 2012
5 Steps to Loose Waves
5 Steps to Hide a Grown-Out Fringe
5 Steps to a Grecian Twist
5 Steps to a Braided Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...