A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First cabled project... headband  (Read 2826 times)
Tags for this thread: headband  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WitchCatXeen

life's a joke, so make fun of it!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2007 02:25:00 PM »

To anyone afraid of cabling: Just DO it! Its PATHETICALLY easy... but I highly recommend doing it without cabling needles because its easier, less fiddly, less painful.

I can't wait to do some more is variously different colors and patterns.  I have this huge issue with hair touching my face, poking me in the eyes, getting in my mouth and find myself going literally batshitinsane trying to find something to keep it back.  Yeah, I need to make more Calorimetries Smiley

http://resirem.com/ADDcrafts/?attachment_id=142 <-- posted on my crafting site

http://www.sheeptoshawl.com/charity/archives/2006/01/entry_179.html<---- the pattern

http://www.grumperina.com/cables.htm<--- doing it without cable needles

<--- action shot
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007 03:11:17 PM by WitchCatXeen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

multicrafty
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007 02:38:30 PM »

Grin  I'm so glad you posted about this.  I've been a little freightened to do cables.  I'm going to give it a go now.  And yes, I'm the same as you because my hair is too short to put up and too long to stay the **** out of my face and it's annoying when I knit, sew, or anything else.  THANK YOU! so much for the inspiration!

Oh, and your headband looks beautiful!  Thank you for the link to the pattern.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queen_gueneviere
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007 02:45:04 PM »

Your headband looks terrific!
And thanks for the link. I've been looking for an easy cabled headband pattern. But there is one line in the pattern, that I don't understand.
After the setup row, it says: Row 1: K3, sm, work rope cable over next 10 sts. What does it mean when they say, "work rope cable over next 10 sts"?   Roll Eyes
I'd really appreciate any help that you can give me, in explaining what this means.
Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WitchCatXeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007 03:04:32 PM »

Hi Queen! That had me going for a second, too.

So, you knit your three stitches for the border, THEN you start the cable pattern which takes up the next ten stitches, THEN you knit the last three.

Basically you gotta pretend those 3 border stitches on both sides don't exist and just do the cable pattern part... I hope that helps.  I'm not sure how else to explain it :-p

multicrafty - when you start the project, you will see how easy and fun it is.  You will stop every couple rows to stare at what you've done and BEAM with proud-ness
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queen_gueneviere
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007 06:10:07 AM »

Thanks WitchCatXeen for the explanation. Now I understand it completely. It sounds so easy.
Thanks again.    Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queen_gueneviere
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007 06:18:32 AM »

I just realized that I need to be able to read that chart, in order to make the headband. Am I right?
If so, I'm clueless as I've never read a chart before. I'm kinda new to the knitting scene.   Cheesy
Could anyone help me out? Please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
s_knits
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007 07:17:57 AM »

I just realized that I need to be able to read that chart, in order to make the headband. Am I right?
If so, I'm clueless as I've never read a chart before. I'm kinda new to the knitting scene.   Cheesy
Could anyone help me out? Please?
I could be wrong, since I've never done cables or knit by a chart either, but I don't think you need to be able to read a chart to do the pattern.  The written instructions should be the same as the chart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007 07:44:44 AM »

Nice headband! Smiley

s_knits is right, you definitely don't need to be able to read the chart. The text right above it is exactly the same.

That cabling without a cable needle thing, though..... I don't know if I could do that. I prefer the security of knowing my stitches are on a needle, not hanging in midair Wink It really doesn't feel like an "extra needle" to me though. More like a stitch holder.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
BlairsBear

Sentence first -- verdict afterwards.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007 12:55:31 PM »

Good for you for taking on cables!  They do look way harder than they really are eh?  Lovely headband.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it had grown up, it would have made a dreadfully ugly child; but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.
WitchCatXeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007 12:43:50 PM »

I didn't read the chart for it... there may be instances in the future will someone will have a cable chart without the written version... so it might be a good idea to learn to read them.  Learning is GOOD for you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Delicious Cucumber Kimchi Recipe
Korean Mandu Dumplings Recipe
How to Make Fluke Sashimi With a Japanese Pear Cocktail
How to Make Delicious and Healthy Spring Rolls Right at Home
Easy, Healthy Lettuce Wrap Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...