A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can I iron my knitting project?  (Read 1122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

uniquelydarcy
« on: January 26, 2004 09:31:23 AM »

I'm a beginner knitter, and I'm working on a nice scarf for my fiance.  The yarn is 80/20 wool/acrylic and I did a 4x4 ribbing through the whole thing.  I've noticed that the scarf is bunching up and looks about half as wide as it actually is.  Can I iron it flat?  Is there something else I can do to correct the situation?

Thanks for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BREEZY
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004 09:47:47 AM »

I've had problems really similar to this. From what I hear, you can block your project to fix this, even though it's not 100% natural. One way of blocking is to iron it...you may want to experiment with different blocking techniques on a swatch first if your not willing to risk your whole project. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004 09:52:28 AM »

Hi,

If I understand your description, there's really nothing you can do -- the nature of ribbing is that it "pulls in" horizontally.  That's why it's good for cuffs, turtlenecks, etc.  It's nice for a scarf too because it doesn't curl, like stockinette, but you do need to cast on FAR more stitches than you think you'll need.  Best to make a swatch first --- a little practice piece worked on maybe 30 stitches.  Knit in your chosen pattern stitch for 30 rows or so, then measure the thing.  Figure out how many stitches you ended up with in every inch of fabric, then multiply that answer by the number of inches you want your finished work to be.  Does that make sense? :)

If you iron your scarf you may be able to stretch or flatten it... but it will mash down the stitches and look icky.  

I like to make scarves in seed stitch.  The lovely green scarf with a flower sewn on it in the "finished projects" section is seed stitch.  It doesn't curl, doesn't pull in, and looks nifty!

Here's how you do it:

On an even number of stitches:

Row 1: *k1, p1; rep from *
Row 2: *p1, k1; rep from *

Hey good luck!   Don't be afraid to rip your knitting out and try again if you're not happy with the result.  You'll be happier in the long run if you make something you're REALLY proud of :)

Let us know how it goes.

Kara

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
uniquelydarcy
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004 10:21:39 AM »

Thanks so much for your advice.  Since I'm still in the experimenting stage, I have no problems ripping it all out.  I was wondering about casting on more stiches than I needed, but unfortunately my borrowed needles were a little too short for the job.  Oh well.

The seed stitch scarf looks good and it sounds like the next experiment for me.  How well does the basketweave work for scarves?

Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004 11:33:15 AM »

Happy to help!

You should be able to jam an awful lot of stitches onto whatever needles you have.  They can be pretty crowded and still be easy enough to knit.

Yes I think basketweave would make a great scarf!  Make a little swatch and try it out :)  Any non-curling stitch pattern should work just fine, so pretty much anything that has a more-or-less equal number of knit and purl stitches on each side of the fabric.  Make sense? :)  If you can find Barbara Walker's "Treasury of Knitting Patterns" books in the library you'll find great inspiration.  Or, just invent something!

Have fun!  Show us a picture when you're done :)

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
How to Make Hemp Bracelets
How to Choose a Jewelry Making Kit
Essential Jewelry Making Supplies
Silver Jewelry Making
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...