A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for made/found chess pieces, quick!  (Read 3089 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft-matic
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004 09:51:26 AM »

Hi guys-

Thanks so much for all the good ideas!  I'm modifying the piping idea a bit to make it more in line with my dad's taste.  I decided on hardware to make the pieces--so the pieces will be steel and brass instead of black and white.  I put together a couple of samples at the store (seven home depot employees officially think I'm nuts) and the kings and queens are especially fun.  I have yet to assemble the rest of them, but it looks like it'll actually be a really fun process (Loth--wanna help?).  I'll try to post a pic when I'm finished. 

I do really like the shot glasses idea...I'll definitely keep it in mind for the non-dad chess players in my life!

Oh, I also had an idea for a chess set for the political, which is to sort of take off on the civil war chess set, but make it contemporary.  Republicans versus democrats or something like that.  It would be really fun to assign the pieces....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004 10:06:47 AM »

kind of unrelated...  but my friend made a beautiful chess board out of offcut scraps of marble from home depot (he works there).  he got a bunch of scraps of white and black marble and cut them all into (I think) 1"x1" squares.  then he cut a board the same size, stained it, and glued the pieces on top.  then he just cut some wood to go around the edges, stained it, and glued that on.  it took him some time, but it was really nice for not much money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cowgirl

I get lazy sometimes...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004 10:18:14 AM »

i guess you already decided what you are doing, but you could of used picture marbles containing the pictures of the chess pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004 01:22:49 PM »

Kategirl-  That sounds really pretty.  It could be done with tiles too, maybe on a table top..

cowgirl--  That's a stellar idea!  If I hadn't already gotten all the hardware, I would really consider using that idea.  In fact, I wonder if I still have my receipt..........
Oh, that would also work really well for my contemporary politics chess conception, huh...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
bubbledragon
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004 07:07:44 AM »

I know this is a little late, but yes - you can indeed shellac the origami chess set.  It will make the paper a little translucent, but that shouldn't affect too much.  I did the same thing for my fiance a few years ago.  He loved it.  The aluminum idea is a great one, but I can honestly say that was some of the hardest origami I've done (Especially the pawns, of all pieces), and I don't think it would ever work with aluminum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be Stylish at Work
Get This Street Style Meets High Fashion Look
The Zoe Report: What To Wear To A Music Festival
The Zoe Report: Get Inspired by These 4 Major Fashion Week Looks
What to Wear to Coachella 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...