A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: creative packaging ideas...?  (Read 6669 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caine
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007 10:06:58 PM »

Love these ideas ...

I like to use plain unbleached muslin fabric with cloth ribbon or bright tissue paper on the inside with white tissue paper on the outside then use the bright tissue paper as ribbon
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007 05:45:01 AM »

Old maps or travel brochures-especially cute with a car/travel type present.A pretty scarf.A travel mug with snap on lid for small items,maybe one that you can personalize.Really,using any box,tin,or jar as packaging is good-you can find unique ones at thrift stores.Glossy pages from a magazine-there are so many ways to go with that,you can tailor it to the person's interest.Swanky jewels & makeup,tabloid headlines,nature,ect.Use alternative items as ribbon and decorations too.Measuring tape,old necklaces and strings of beads,a garish brooch you wouldn't wear might make a cool bow.Shoelaces,ribbon.A  cheap roll of old film as ribbon.Tiny cheap plastic toys.And yeah,kids love the sunday funnies!Heck,shiny aluminum foil-you could even emboss it.
This would take some prep work,but try to imagine it.It's your house.You have a special present for someone.You position it where they will see it first thing-prominitly under the tree,on a table,whatever.And around your carefully chosen non flammable wrap is-wait for it-a plugged in string of miniature multicolored christmas lights for ribbon!It just came to be,for all I know it may just look hideously tacky.But if you're going for tacky... :)Hey,maybe with shiny reflectic foil wrap,hmm...
You get the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code craftster,10%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
HeatherDelaCruz
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007 10:09:00 PM »

Last year I collected different shaped containers (like the tall cylinder ones that Crystal Light comes in, a toothpaste box, some shoe boxes, an empty plastic coffee container...you get the point) and covered them in cheap-o brown packaging paper that I got for like $2.99 at the Walmart postage center! I only needed about half a roll for ALL of my gifts... and I think I wrapped about 50 small to medium sized ones. (Big family!! Cheesy )   In lieu of the typical 'curling' ribbon used on Christmas gifts, I bought actual fabric ribbon in black. It was cheap, too! Instead of name tags, I wrote the person's name on the actual paper in a pretty gold paint marker. The packages looked so chic! My aunt actually asked me to make her a bunch this year to set out for decoration!

Good luck! Smiley

(I'm so glad everyone's beginning to talk Christmas and holidays on here... I am SO excited!!!!! )  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007 08:04:28 PM by HeatherDelaCruz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HeatherDelaCruz
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007 10:11:25 PM »

Shocked OOPS!!!

I forgot to mention that I put the gifts INSIDE of the little empty packages I had been collecting.... LOL

For example: gloves, manicure kits, socks, lip balms, bath stuff, candies, small books, stickers, picture frames...you name it!

Hope that makes sense... I don't want everyone thinking I hand out empty toothpaste boxes for Christmas gifts Wink
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007 08:04:16 PM by HeatherDelaCruz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stefano
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007 07:36:14 AM »

Using brown paper bags to make packagings for handcrafted gifts, I think is always a good way to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007 10:39:54 AM »

I like to pick up new, unused paint cans in different sizes for gifts.  They sell them at home centers, hardware and paint stores... I have better luck finding a variety of sizes at smaller hardware and paint stores than big-box building materials stores.  I've also seen ones with clear sides at a craft store!

So!  You can make an easy template to wrap the cylinder with any kind of paper or fabric, glue things to it or put on stickers/labels, wrap it with any kind of ribbon, etc.  Then you can do all those things or bows on the top.  You could also put it in a handmade gift bag, giving the recipient 3 gifts (the bag, the reusable, decorated can and the contents)!  I always include a paint can "key" which usually cost about 25-35 cents that I tie on with a ribbon.  It's a much easier way to open a paint can and won't damage the lip making it difficult to close/re-open.  It also save the receiver a hunt for something to open the can with.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007 10:42:24 AM by TheMistressT - Reason: typos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsatama
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007 08:00:27 PM »

If youve got -tons- of time to waste and tons of magazines you dont want  you could allways make collage wrapping paper.
Somthing more interesting would be to use wrapping paper that has a design on it allready and decorate the wrong side(the part without the pattern) and have that side showing out. when the person unwraps the gift they get  to see the pattern on the inside aswell Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annessasgirl
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008 11:26:32 AM »

My ex's little sister would save rolls of expired promotional stickers from her job (as a restaurant hostess) and cover boxes with those. She also saved free posters and comic books (ashcans?) from a comic book convention to use as gift-wrap. Both looks were very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008 05:00:14 AM »

i had different wrapping last year for friends, family, and boyfriend.

friends: cool electro pink and blue and black paper with black ribbon and hot pink and silver bells.

family: tradition gold and red paper with red ribbon and silver bells.

boy: cream starry paper with black ribbon and gold bells.

i found mini bell-wreath ornaments in the supermarket and pulled them apart to get at tons of cheap bells. cheap ornaments make nice finishing touches.

this year, i'm doing a postal theme. brown paper packages tied up with string, big brown tags, fake stamps. i might make some shrinky-dink or felt stamps to make into brooches to embellish the packages with, that can be worn by the recipient.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008 07:49:26 AM by cheesedip » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
MsMia

Christmas, Fall, and Winter Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008 07:44:58 AM »

Cover cereal boxes with brown or decorative paper

Reuse 2 Liter soda bottles or water bottles - washed and dried of course, cut a large X on side, add your goodies, cover X with clear packing tape.
http://rubyglen.com/crafts/bottle.htm

Cover shoe boxes, I love the shoe boxes baby shoes come in, so small and cute

Cans - you will have to use the can opener that cuts the lid off cleanly and remove label, use contents, clean can, stuff with gift, reattach lid some people use double sided tape or velcro to this step
An example:  http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ee/index.php/resources/tutorials/pop_top_can/

http://crafts.kaboose.com/kwanzaa-gift-can.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn a Paper Clip Into a Safety Pin
How to Turn Old Magazines Into a Coiled Paper Basket
How to Convert Photos to Cross-Stitch Designs
How to Crochet
How to Cut Plexiglas
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...