A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,279
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dior Oui ring  (Read 1394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

guitar*girl
« on: October 09, 2007 09:58:44 AM »

I am head-over-heels in like with this ring:Thing is, it's Dior and almost $700. I really want to make a ring like it with wire and I tried to make it using thick-ish wire (not sure what gauge, maybe 18-ish?) and pliers and the wire just broke.  Does anyone know a way to do it so the wire won't snap? Or anyone have another idea how to make it? Thanks so much =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've lost my sanity; can I borrow yours?
SesSpringett
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007 10:11:12 AM »

Are you using sterling silver wire? if you are try annealing (heating to an even temperature...'til it glows cherry red, with a blowtorch) the wire first, it should make it easier to work with. if you're not, er, use sterling wire! it's very flexible and easy to work with... and really cheap if you get it from the right place... I know a great supplier if you're in the UK, and tbh anywhere else it'll be cheaper cos this country is stupidly expensive...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the bloggity blog at www.astareal.co.uk
godiva
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007 02:19:47 PM »

you probably need dead soft wire or at least half hard wire  check out this website  http://wire-sculpture.com  i think it will help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alyce1611
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007 06:06:37 PM »

have you ever thought of using PMC? precious metal clay? its such amazing stuff. i recently made 3 pendants with one small packet, 3 fine silver pieces for under $30.00!

but if you got the slow drying kind you could roll it out to form the letters, and also make the band as well. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007 12:30:52 PM »

Try buying your sterling dead soft, and if you're not sure it's dead soft, anneal it with a torch. those bernz-o-matic's plumbers use should work fine. I woulden't recommend heating it to a cherry red, though, as I've had alot of problems with firescale doing that. watch the colour of the flame- when what's reflecting off the wire starts to go orange, you're annealed. If the wire is coiled, you should also see it relax slightly. Use tweezers to pick it up and put it in water to cool off. if, while you're working, you notice the wire starting to get stiff again, anneal. do it as many times as you like.

Also, if you're doing a fair bit of wire working, you may want a pair of half round-nose half flat-nose pliers. I just sprung for a pair and I'm absolutley in like with them. They do less damage to the wire than regular round-nose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.etsy.com >>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Style Evolution of Taylor Swift
High Street Edit: 3 Ways To Wear Bomber Jackets
Holiday Outfit Ideas
Heart Bell Wedding Decoration
Three Outfit Inspirations from Australia
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...