Woohoo! First non-commenting post! Sorry if this is too long and rambly -- I'm just very proud of this dress! (sorry for the 10+ images!)
I've been lurking here for months but I never posted anything I've made before. When I saw IamTheShelbster
's gorgeous dress, I knew I wanted to make something similar for my best friend's 22nd birthday. It took me a little less than a week, start to finish -- only because I didn't begin the dress til a week before her birthday, eheh.. Oops. =P
Anyway, I had about 3 yards of chiffon, with I dyed using fabric dye paint that was watered down(I was tempted to use acrylic like the OP did but I was afraid it would wash out). I had a hard time doing that because I didn't really have a good space to do it. I ended up making a makeshift clothline between two porch pillars and hanging the fabric on it. Of course, that ended up making a stripe of no-color.. But if I cut that part off, the skirt would be too short, so the top 6 inches were much paler than the rest. After it dried, I had to heat set the WHOLE damn thing, which took like 2 hours. Then I stuck it in the washer and dryer to make sure the colors didn't bleed. I think I overdid it on the color quite a bit, heehee.. But I like it anyway!
Believe me though, it's MUCH prettier than it looks in this picture. (You'll see in the images below)
But I had no time to really redo so I went ahead. I next made a lined underdress, with some soft fabric from Joann's called "peachskin".
I did 3 panels for the skirt, and triangly boob covers(is there even a good term for this?) that I stuff some pushup cups (also from Joann's, woohoo!) into for better shape. When I sewed this together, I realized that the back was too low; she wouldn't be able to wear a bra. So I grabbed more fabric and made two strips to be attached to the top.
I went ahead and did a rolled hem with my snazzy new hemmer foot, gathered the painted chiffon and sewed it onto the skirt part of the dress. The colors here are MUCH truer here:
I had a hard time attaching the fabric on the boobs but I figured it out somehow..
After that, the dress was basically done! I just had to add the finishing details. Some black velvety ribbon around the boob parts, a pretty red one for the bodice(I know it doesn't really go together but I thought it worked out). And I had some nice velvet ribbon straps that matched.
Now pictures with the dress on the birthday girl!
(back with invisible zipper + two 'coat' hook-eye closures)
Aaaand, that's it folks! I hope I didn't bore you or kill your computer with all my pictures. =D