A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painted Chiffon Dress inspired by IamTheShelbster [IMAGE HEAVY]  (Read 19342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kazb0t
« on: October 09, 2007 04:24:57 AM »

Woohoo! First non-commenting post! Sorry if this is too long and rambly -- I'm just very proud of this dress! (sorry for the 10+ images!)

I've been lurking here for months but I never posted anything I've made before. When I saw IamTheShelbster's gorgeous dress, I knew I wanted to make something similar for my best friend's 22nd birthday. It took me a little less than a week, start to finish -- only because I didn't begin the dress til a week before her birthday, eheh.. Oops. =P

Anyway, I had about 3 yards of chiffon, with I dyed using fabric dye paint that was watered down(I was tempted to use acrylic like the OP did but I was afraid it would wash out). I had a hard time doing that because I didn't really have a good space to do it. I ended up making a makeshift clothline between two porch pillars and hanging the fabric on it. Of course, that ended up making a stripe of no-color.. But if I cut that part off, the skirt would be too short, so the top 6 inches were much paler than the rest. After it dried, I had to heat set the WHOLE damn thing, which took like 2 hours. Then I stuck it in the washer and dryer to make sure the colors didn't bleed. I think I overdid it on the color quite a bit, heehee.. But I like it anyway!

Believe me though, it's MUCH prettier than it looks in this picture. (You'll see in the images below)

But I had no time to really redo so I went ahead. I next made a lined underdress, with some soft fabric from Joann's called "peachskin".

I did 3 panels for the skirt, and triangly boob covers(is there even a good term for this?) that I stuff some pushup cups (also from Joann's, woohoo!) into for better shape. When I sewed this together, I realized that the back was too low; she wouldn't be able to wear a bra. So I grabbed more fabric and made two strips to be attached to the top.

I went ahead and did a rolled hem with my snazzy new hemmer foot, gathered the painted chiffon and sewed it onto the skirt part of the dress. The colors here are MUCH truer here:

I had a hard time attaching the fabric on the boobs but I figured it out somehow..

After that, the dress was basically done! I just had to add the finishing details. Some black velvety ribbon around the boob parts, a pretty red one for the bodice(I know it doesn't really go together but I thought it worked out). And I had some nice velvet ribbon straps that matched.

Now pictures with the dress on the birthday girl!

(back with invisible zipper + two 'coat' hook-eye closures)

Aaaand, that's it folks! I hope I didn't bore you or kill your computer with all my pictures.  =D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007 03:02:24 AM by kazb0t » THIS ROCKS   Logged
little green dragonfly

i craft, therefore i am...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007 04:34:44 AM »

that's grand. It really come together with teh trim Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

After 8 years I'm back - however did I stay away so long???
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007 04:46:23 AM »

That's really cool and original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007 05:44:24 AM »

Wow.  I am tres intrigued by this chiffon-painting phenomenon...it's been filed away in my mind's recesses until the perfect opportunity arises.

Lucky friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuvCrochet
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007 06:01:10 AM »

This is beautiful and amazing.  I am forever impressed by people who can sew well.  You did an amazing job.  Must take sewing classes. The fabric turned out pretty too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kazb0t
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007 06:07:40 AM »

This is beautiful and amazing.  I am forever impressed by people who can sew well.  You did an amazing job.  Must take sewing classes. The fabric turned out pretty too.

Thank you!

What's funny is, I've never taken a sewing class! Prolly should though, heheh..
I got into sewing from doing cosplay (fandom-related costuming) with my friend(see person above! =D ). I just look at a picture of some outfit, and just figure it out in my head. Then proceed with lots of trial and error.  Roll Eyes It wasn't til later that I read up about sewing techniques and found all the wonderful tutorials on craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
just_lisa
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007 06:10:02 AM »

You did such a good job!  It really looks great on
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purelectricity
It's electric.

I'm a paper bag in real life.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007 06:20:08 AM »

this dress is amazing!!!  What a lucky friend.  "triangly boob covers" -I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
urbanbohemiac
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007 06:24:58 AM »

looks mighty professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
the jenya

Ink is my perfume.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007 06:43:20 AM »

Yea boob covers! And that painted chiffon looks fabulous-did you use an acrylic or fabric paint? It looks crazy good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Library

Your revolution will not happen between these thighs.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Dragons with Emily Gravett
Justin Bieber Made Out of Crayons
Locating Landscapes in Christ Art
Lizzie King Shows You How to Tie-Dye Patterns With a Pillowcase
Lizzie King Shows You How to Tie-Dye a Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...